General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chasing Chicken Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-01-16 2:53 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Chasing Chicken Triathlon : Official Thread
Hello, I am the Operations Director for Richmond Multisports, the production company for Chasing Chicken.

Given the new reverse format this year, I wanted to put this out there for discussion and Q&A.

To start, there will be wave starts for the 5K run. The run course will be the same as previous years, and you will proceed into the west end of the transition area to pick up your bike. The bike course will be the same as previous years, going out River and back on Patterson. You'll return in the same place, and instead of putting on your running shoes (strange, I know!) you'll strip down and run to the pool. The Tuckahoe Y has two indoor heated pools, so women on the left, men on the right. The snake swim will finish as you pop out of the pool and cross the mat to read your time.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

2014-01-20 9:51 AM
in reply to: H20man

User image

Subject: RE: Chasing Chicken Triathlon : Official Thread
Hey! I signed up a week ago and this will be my first race. I'm pretty excited. I have a general question about the pool swim, which may seem silly.

What's the rule on flip turns? Are they OK throughout, or only at the half-lap point but not when switching lanes, or not at all?

Just want to know, so I can practice. Thanks!
2014-01-20 5:49 PM
in reply to: WayWay

User image

Regular
If you can do them, go for it! I never learned how. I missed an age group 1st last year by 13 seconds, because my lane changes stunk.

If you are lucky enough to have two lanes at your pool, practice doing them under the lane lines.

We're glad that you've chosen us for your first race! I look forward to seeing you.
2014-01-21 7:00 PM

User image

Thanks for the response!

I'm sure that I'll get a chance to snag two lanes at my local Y. I'll try and practice the lane change + flip turn combo and see how it goes. Worst case scenario, I can do them at the half-lap point and then just duck under. I'm wondering if flip turns the whole way might cause issues with lane sharing.

Side note: Flip turns are not too bad to learn. I'm sure some swimmer somewhere would be happy to show you. They don't take too long to get good at, and the additional power you get from the wall push-off and the quicker turnaround just might be worth it! :-)
2014-01-21 9:09 PM
in reply to: #4933110

User image

Regular
As this particular race will split women into one pool and men into the other, the flip turns under the lane lines will be in opposite directions depending on your gender. Men will move from the right side of the pool to left, so the flips under the lines will be when making a right turn. Make sense?
2014-01-22 10:48 PM

User image

Yep! Hasn't even thought about switching lanes on the left vs the right, but it probably makes a difference. Thanks!!!

2014-03-03 3:54 PM

User image

Regular
College teams are signing up for our Collegiate Cup! We have at least 5 from Syracuse registered, and just heard from GWU. If you are in the Richmond area and would be interested in hosting a homestay for a collegiate athlete for the night of Saturday, April 5th, please contact us.
2014-03-11 2:35 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Originally posted by WayWay Thanks for the response! I'm sure that I'll get a chance to snag two lanes at my local Y. I'll try and practice the lane change + flip turn combo and see how it goes. Worst case scenario, I can do them at the half-lap point and then just duck under. I'm wondering if flip turns the whole way might cause issues with lane sharing. Side note: Flip turns are not too bad to learn. I'm sure some swimmer somewhere would be happy to show you. They don't take too long to get good at, and the additional power you get from the wall push-off and the quicker turnaround just might be worth it! :-)

I've tried to do flip turns in a few of the RMS pool races.  It's pretty tough.  A lot of the passing happens at the ends of the lanes, so it can get pretty crowded there.  I didn't usually have enough wall space.  

2014-03-23 8:05 AM
in reply to: #4936071

User image

Regular
Two weeks to race day! We have a group pre-ride planned for 1pm today at the Tuckahoe YMCA. Come one, come all, we'll do a loop (13mi) of the course, with options for a second loop then a run.
2014-03-28 7:53 AM
in reply to: #4969662

User image

Regular
One more week to race day on April 6th! If you're one of the 40,000 strong running the Monument Avenue 10k, stop by our booth (yellow tent) at the expo today for a discount code for all of our races! I'll be there all day until closing at 9 tonight and would love to chat with any of you.
2014-03-31 2:35 PM

User image

Regular
It was a pleasure seeing so many runners and athletes-to-be this past weekend at the Monument 10K. The weather was not ideal (cool, light drizzle, very humid), but I was able to crush my PR by 2:20. I am still paying for it today.

I hope several of you got to use the discount code we gave out at the expo and told you expired Sunday at midnight.... but between you, me, and the lamppost... it's still active. Use code 10K10 through the end of the week for 10% off our whole calendar.

Registration for the Chasing Chicken Reverse Triathlon CLOSES at 8PM on Wednesday, April 2. Sign up now to race head-to-head against several local pros AND a guy in a chicken suit!

5K RUN > 13 MILE BIKE > 300m SWIM.

http://www.richmondmultisports.com/chasing-chicken-triathlon.htm

2014-04-04 10:04 PM

User image

Regular
Race Timeline

Saturday, April 5, 2014
• 11:00am - 3:00pm Mandatory packet pickup at 3Sports in the River Road Shopping Center at 6241 River Road, Richmond, VA 23229. BYOB = Bring Your Own Bag for your #, shirt and swag. Racers must bring a photo ID to packet pickup. NO ID, NO RACE, NO EXCEPTIONS. USAT members must also bring their USAT card. Racers may only pick up their own packet, and all relay members must check in. Walk in the door to the left of the yellow tent and proceed to your left for your Bib Assignment. Chip pick - up is on race day (racers will be using the new MyLaps disposable timing tag; view instructions here: http://www.richmondmultisports.com/assets/rmsdocs/MyLaps%20CHIP%20I... Promotions offered by 3Sports and freebie handouts are only available on Saturday.
• Walk-up registration is also available during Packet Pickup
• 3:30pm - 4:30pm Pre-race briefing in the pavilion behind the Tuckahoe YMCA, beside the soccer field at 9211 Patterson Avenue, Richmond, VA 23229. This meeting is mandatory for first timers and optional for vets. If you cannot make it, please get the notes from someone else or email the race director, or call the office 804.303.4833

Sunday, April 6, 2014
• 6:30am Transition opens for bike racking & timing chip handout ((racers will be using the new MyLaps disposable timing tag; view instructions here: http://www.richmondmultisports.com/assets/rmsdocs/MyLaps%20CHIP%20I... Best parking spots are in the back/ upper lot of the Tuckahoe YMCA; go up the driveway to the right (west) of the building. Overflow is in the front/lower lot.
• 6:30am - 7:00am Late pre-approved Race Day Packet Pick-up report to brown Clubhouse building beside soccer/transition field in back of Y. If you cannot make Saturday packet pick-up, please email [email protected] to confirm; know that all that is available at PPU on Saturday is not available at Sunday's packet pick up.
• Late Walk-up registration is also available during Packet Pickup
• 7:45am Transition closes
• 7:45am Race welcome by the Start Line in Maybuery Elementary bus loop
• 7:50am Chicken Start
• 8:00am Race Start – First Wave : Men U-39
• 8:05am Men 40-99, Clydesdales
• 8:10am Women U-39
• 8:15am Women 40+, Athena, All Relays
• 10:30am Awards Presentation inside Clubhouse (brown building to the east of the transition area).
• 11:00am course is closed
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chasing Chicken Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Montclair Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by tri-sbr
Views: 4918 Posts: 36

2009-06-29 12:40 PM DanielG

Reston Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by docswim24
Views: 2927 Posts: 14

2009-06-01 9:24 PM strostertag

Smith Mountain Lake Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by billprozac
Views: 1914 Posts: 2

2009-04-28 2:33 PM fit45

Official Nation's Triathlon Thread

Started by pga_mike
Views: 2881 Posts: 23

2009-09-17 2:50 PM ropkins

Worldgate Sport & Health Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by strostertag
Views: 3377 Posts: 14

2009-05-01 10:42 PM TheyCallMeTiny
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon
date : July 8, 2008
author : ggwellness
comments : 11
Confessions of an open water chicken. I'm OK when the water is clear and the creatures are visible; it's just when I can't see them that the panic sets in.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: