General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Beginning Run Training for First Ironman? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-20 12:32 AM

User image

Birmingham, AL
Subject: Best Beginning Run Training for First Ironman?
Hi!

I've signed up for my first Ironman (IMFL) next November, and from what I've been reading, I think I'm going to buy the Be Iron Fit and try his training program. My question is that most of these training programs require that you be able to run about a 10K at around 10min pace while keeping your heart rate no higher than the second zone. I am REALLY slow. I ran a marathon last February and averaged around 12min miles. All I did was train Long Slow Distance (LSD), and that's exactly how I raced. I'm very confused at what I need to be doing to get to that beginning 10K level. My leg strength is pathetic, so I've been weight training and know I need to include hills in my running program somewhere, but what's the best way to increase speed while keeping your heart rate low? Some sort of intervals? Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

2004-11-20 9:50 AM
in reply to: #84850

Champion
Subject: RE: Best Beginning Run Training for First Ironman?

Holli...first, welcome to the BT board!  And 2nd, congrats on signing up for the Florida IM, that's a great goal.

The first thing you need to realize is that any correlation between doing a "stand-alone" marathon and then doing one at the end of a triathlon will be totally thrown out the window!  The run at the end of IM Florida will be an exercise in survival.  The people who do well in an Ironman are those who have controlled their pacing and nutrition well enough that they are the ones who "slow down the least."  The best advice which comes from many sources is to build up as good of an aerobic base in each event as you possibly can. 

One great tip is to schedule multiple workouts, often called "bricks."  Start with short distances and work your way up.  Go out for a 15 mile bike ride, then immediately after, do a 2 mile run.  Later on in your training, you want to build it up to where you can go for a 50-75 mile bike ride, then do a 10 mile run afterwards.  The goal is to get yourself accustomed to running after riding.  Doing this over the course of your training will lessen the shock to your system, and it won't seem quite so intimidating during the event than if you had never done "brick" training.

There are plenty of great training tips on this web site and others.  Spend some time searching and reading all the info you can get your hands on.  Go here and click on the link for "Golden Rules For Your First IM"   http://www.byrn.org/gtips/gtips.htm

2004-11-20 12:07 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
AerynSun - 2004-11-19 11:32 PM

Hi!

I've signed up for my first Ironman (IMFL) next November, and from what I've been reading, I think I'm going to buy the Be Iron Fit and try his training program. My question is that most of these training programs require that you be able to run about a 10K at around 10min pace while keeping your heart rate no higher than the second zone. I am REALLY slow. I ran a marathon last February and averaged around 12min miles. All I did was train Long Slow Distance (LSD), and that's exactly how I raced. I'm very confused at what I need to be doing to get to that beginning 10K level. My leg strength is pathetic, so I've been weight training and know I need to include hills in my running program somewhere, but what's the best way to increase speed while keeping your heart rate low? Some sort of intervals? Does anyone here have any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

First and foremost, keeping your heart rate low and increasing your speed are about as compatible as water and oil. Unless there is some new way out there that I don't know about, there is no way to increase your speed while keeping your heart rate low.

With that in mind, if you want to work on speed I suggest you peak for 2 races (one in mid way to your IMFL race) and of course the other one...the IM race itself.

Max has some great suggestions and Gordo is an excellent resource but keep in mind you don't want to be doing ANY brick workouts right now so save that info for later.

The most efficient running form is about 30 strides/20 sec while always landing on the balls of your feet. As you can imagine, running efficiency is very important in a marathon...especially after using your legs for hours and hours before it. I would work on this now, while training in zone 1.
2004-11-21 3:18 AM

User image

Birmingham, AL
Hey guys!

Thanks for all the good advice and the welcome. I don't think I worded my question correctly. I guess what I was really asking was what was the best training technique (LSD, intervals, etc.) that over time will improve my cardio fitness so that after five months or so I will be able to run faster but my heart rate will remain at the lower levels. In other words, what type of training should I do so that over time, I could lower my pace from 12min miles to 10min miles with my heart rate staying in the 150's? I wanted to get to that point before I started the actual ironman training. Thanks again for all the advice on nutrition and pacing. I've really got to watch that because I did the GCT a couple years back and totally blew out the bike and cramped the entire run and had to walk most of it. Of course the 103 heat index that year didn't help either! I've got a lot to learn before doing this IM. I'm going to go check Gordo's site now.

Thanks again!
2004-11-21 12:05 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
Oh, I get it. Ok. To lower your pace but keep the same heart rate you need to do 2 things.

1. SOLID base training now. LONG SLOW distance (what you've been doing)

THEN

2. interval work/tempo runs/track workouts to get your speed up.

#1 will get your endurance so you can hold your speed that you develop later in the season in #2.

Make sense?

Without #1 you'll be fast but not be able to hold it for very long. Without #2 you'll be in the same boat you've been in.

If you do #2 too early in the season you won't have enough #1 to hold the speed you develop in #2.
2004-11-21 4:08 PM
in reply to: #85149

User image

Birmingham, AL
Thanks for the advice Steve! That's what I was looking for. From reading Gordo's site, I think I need to figure out my AeT threshold for that LSD and try to run at least three times a week starting out and then build up my frequency and volume. I've been a total couch potato for a few months and don't want to do too much too fast. Thanks again!

2004-11-21 4:29 PM

Atlanta, Georgia
Hello! Good topic, thanks for bringing it up. im 16 (maybe the youngest peron on this site) and i average about 25 miles per week running. i have been timing myself on sundays and today i really let loose. this week coming up i am going to run a lot of slow long runs to form a SOLID base. should i have dont it the other way around?? should i have started forming a base first? i have no experience in the long distance running department but i still need to find a good overall agenda. do you guys have any ideas?
2004-11-21 8:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
Congrats on IMFL! I've heard it is a good race...hope to do it some year

Totally agree on building base then adding speed work.

Another thing you will want to practice in training is walking. Many marathoners/IM'rs swear by walking through the aid stations. First, eating on the run sucks. 2nd, it breaks up your race mentally. You think about making it to the next aid station usually about a mile. Small goals cuz everything after 13 is in your head.

Unless you are super human, you will do the IronMan shuffle at least part of the time. If you don't practice walking, your body will definitely not like it. Also, it will help mentally to get yourself moving again when you really don't want to.

I do all my run's (even 2-3hr) as run/walk intervals. Usually, 10-11minute run/ :30-1 minute walk.

Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Beginning Run Training for First Ironman? Rss Feed