General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rest days - Pre or Post big volume days? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-01-18 3:01 PM
in reply to: #1164515

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Rest days - Pre or Post big volume days?

ChrisM - 2008-01-18 2:22 PM Agreed, but schedules being what they are.....   I do tempo/speed run work on Wednesdays, and that made Tues /Thurs difficult for a long run.  Either tempo was affected or long run was.  My justification is that Sunday long runs are done on tired legs, prepping for doing the same at IM.

That’s why you do transition runs (aka brick) because that is SPECIFICALLY what you'll do on an IM. OTOH you don't ride 112 miles, rest for the rest of the day and THEN run the next day do you? Doing quality days back to back will diminish your ability to recover properly little by little. There are times to follow this approach (like a training camp or specific phase) but not something you want to do all the time. You have to consider the total chronic training load (the big picture); IOW every session stresses your body and depending on the training phase and workload you might allow your body enough time to recover. If you grow your chronic load day after day, week after week without proper recovery your training might eventually suffer and you will either be forced to take days off frequently (train inconsistently) or even reduce your load or stop for an extended period.

2008-01-18 3:07 PM
in reply to: #1164515

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
ChrisM - 2008-01-18 4:22 PM

Agreed, but schedules being what they are.....   I do tempo/speed run work on Wednesdays, and that made Tues /Thurs difficult for a long run.  Either tempo was affected or long run was.  My justification is that Sunday long runs are done on tired legs, prepping for doing the same at IM.

Chris, how do you recover from the Wednesday run or from your long runs?  Depending, if you are willing to do your long runs on a weekday, you could possibly consider one of these two options:

Long ride Saturday/long run Monday with light training (swimming or a ride) on Sunday, or

Long run on Friday/long ride on Sunday with light training on Saturday

Worth considering as even getting a day between those to big workouts can pay off come race day.

Shane

2008-01-18 3:21 PM
in reply to: #1164070

User image

Thanks all.  FTR, I am following a Frey/Huddle training program that has the Sat/Sun ride/run combo

Also, thinking about it, we start riding at 6:30 on Saturdays, usually done before noon (which includes the post ride coffee) unless we're going really long.  Our Sunday long runs start between 11:30 and 12, so I've usually got somewhere around 24 hours between the two.  usually 24 hours plus, since these days, 1.5 hours is a short ride, 3-4 is medium, and 5+ is long

Edited by ChrisM 2008-01-18 3:25 PM
2008-01-18 4:10 PM
in reply to: #1164070

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I like to take the day off or just swim on Friday prior to a big effort on the weekends. I follow the same routine when I get around to race season, day off before the race. So I see it as getting my body into the routine I'm going to use come race day. I'll take a nice recovery run or spin following the weekend, which I find to be helpful for my recovery since I "flush out" my legs and work out any soreness.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rest days - Pre or Post big volume days? Rss Feed  

of 2