General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When Did You Become a Triathlete? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-07-23 2:37 PM
in reply to: #1553024

Subject: RE: When Did You Become a Triathlete?

doctorbob18 - 2008-07-23 3:07 PM I kinda considered myself a triathlete when I started training for my first triathlon, but I did wait until after I completed it before putting the USAT bumper sticker on my car

Hehe, I still feel kinda silly for having the sticker on my car, but it looks cool to passing cars who don't know me

2008-07-23 2:40 PM
in reply to: #1198400

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
When I first saw this thread, I thought about the date a finished my first triathlon. Then I read the question and some of the responses. I cannot believe that how fast you finish a race factors into whether you have the right to call yourself a triathlete. I cannot believe that the distance of a race factors in to whether or not you have the right to call yourself a triathlete.

I am fighting chronic running injuries. Why? Not because I like running, but because that is how I get to the finish line in my sport. I train and ride my bike. I do enjoy cycling, but my main goal is to improve my bike split in triathlon. I was once a competitive swimmer. I rarely swim anything but freestyle these days and find myself enjoying the lake more than the pool.

I am a triathlete. Not a professional one, but this is my passion. I spend almost all of my free time, extra cash, and even plan family events and vacations around races. To have someone that I don't know, who has never met me, or just in passing conversation tell me that I can't call myself a triathlete because I am not XYZ fast or completed LMNOP distance is stupid. I refuse to give others the power to tell me what I can or cannot do.

To the OP: If you don't feel comfortable, then don't call yourself one. But don't let anyone else tell you that you can't.

Pam
2008-07-23 3:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kansas City, MO

I'm with the OP.  I don't mind telling people I train for triathlons, but since I've only done one (international distance), I don't feel like I've earned the "triathlete" label yet.

Someday....

2008-07-24 1:42 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
Oh now wait, if we start talking about stickers, that's a whole 'nuther category! LOL! So far the eventing stickers and REI/AT/AMC/SOLO (and my SAR sticker, if they ever get around to getting them ordered) far outweigh anything that would suggest a triathlete inside!

Oh, and I dragged this out of the archives. I believe it is well over a year old. Just FYI to those answering the OP.

Edited by Slugger 2008-07-24 1:43 AM
2008-07-24 7:15 AM

User image

Expert
Chatham, Ontario
The day I completed by first Sprint.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » When Did You Become a Triathlete? Rss Feed  

of 4