Run like the wind0 Votes - [0%]
No, you idiot, you're not healed enough yet11 Votes - [100%]
Run/walk0 Votes - [0%]

2008-02-10 6:45 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: To run or not to run
Healing from a stress fracture...

I got rid of the walking cast about a week ago and was up to running 3 miles as of this weekend. My doctor said to increase no more than a mile each time until I hit 5 miles with no pain, then after 5 miles I'll be ok to increase more than that. Here's my dilemma...I'll hit my 5 mile run next week, and next weekend I have a 3 hour run scheduled for my IM training. I've never had any pain in the location where the fracture is, but I had ankle pain that's been gone for weeks. I've debated using the Galloway method to just run a few minutes and walk a minute to space out my running and give my legs a break, but is 3 hours of that going to hurt me?

I think my problem is that my shin didn't hurt when I got the fracture, so how will I know if it redevelops?

2008-02-10 8:53 PM
in reply to: #1204016

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: To run or not to run
Is 3 hours going to hurt you? AAaaaaahhhhhh ...... YES!!!! Don't do it!

Not sure how long you have been off, but you may have to employ the 10% rule to build back up to your pre-injury distance. Going from a little bit more than 3 miles to 3 hours? You are just asking to reinjure yourself. If you reinjure yourself, you won't be able to train for a longer period of time. The poll is already telling you something! If you are training with a group, go out so far and flip it. Your team mates won't think anything worse and will probably learn a lot from you through your actions.

Just my 2 cents!
2008-02-10 9:17 PM

User image

Melon Presser

As a veteran of several stress fractures (two of which I ran marathons on):

DON'T DO IT!!!

Work with a coach or knowledgeable athlete or the Iron Distance forums here to re-vamp your IM running plan.

Water running can do wonders and keep you in pretty good running fitness without the pounding.

2008-02-11 5:54 AM

User image

Expert
I tried water running and it didn't seem to do much of anything besides bore me. Maybe I was doing it wrong. I still lost speed and fitness, but at least it gave me energy to focus on the bike for a while.

This is extremely frustrating, especially since my body isn't telling me to rest since nothing even hurts! The technician who did the bone scan said that a stress fracture will start to ache when it's healing, but I've felt nothing at all. I hope that doesn't mean it's not healing!

Maybe I'll just try to space out the 6 or 7 miles by adding some walking in the middle, then do the rest on the elliptical and walk on the treadmill at an incline. The doctor told me that I can do elliptical and walk as much as I want right now; it's the pounding of running that I have to ease into again.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To run or not to run Rss Feed