General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First Triathlon in May/June of next year. Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-07-27 10:32 PM

Issaquah, WA
Subject: First Triathlon in May/June of next year.
Hi,

I am almost 32 years old (August 9th), and I do not have the shape and health I had at 20... I am 285 pounds and I am 5 feet 10". I gained 75 pounds by playing football at UCONN... but no excuse it was 12 years ago. So, I decided that a triathlon was the Goal, a goal for me, to be proud and to become a new me. I was browsing this website this afternoon and it gave me the courage to set a date and a place for my goal. So it will be a sprint tri in Issaquah,WA. It is where I live and the tri is next year around the end of May, beginning of June timeframe. Ok, so I am training in a gym with a trainer for the last 6 weeks, I am seeing improvements but little ones... I had some motivations but no real tangible goal...

I guess I will need a lot of tips and support from you guys. First I am a rock in a pool, so that will be my biggest mountain to climb... My wife luckily was a swimming teacher and a life guard so I will get a lot of technique from her. Ah, I did not mention it but I am doing that for me, but also for my wife... she is my motivation source... she survived breast cancer and she is in her second year of remission... and I love her and I want to show her that I do not want to die at 35 with a heart attack because of my weight. She was tough and she had a goal to survive... I was fealing ashame not to do anything for my weight and health. So here I am... I need training suggestions for swimming and running... For the bike I think it will be my strength. I know at my weight it will be long, but I need advices so that no injuries stops me from my Goal...

I am anxious to see my wife at the finish line with a big smile and her beautiful eyes... I will tell her next time, we do it together

Any ideas on how to approach my training... books, programs etc...

Thanks a thousand time
Patrice

2003-07-28 7:04 AM
in reply to: #345

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: Welcome!
I am also shooting for a triathlon next year. If you look around on the site, you'll find a walk run program that can help you get running. Some books that I have found helpful in developing a plan are:
"Training Programs for Multisport Athletes" by Gale Bernhardt
"The Triathletes Training Bible" by Joe Friel
"Triathlon Swimming Made Easy" by Terry Laughlin

I wouldn't consider any of them to be a beginner guide. They all assume that you are at a certain level but they give good advice on how to train and how to set up a training plan. There are a ton of books and websites out there. I chose these three based on Amazon.com reviews and information.

Best advice I can give is set up a plan that will allow you to finish the race. Don't worry about times. Remember that your plan is changeable and make changes as necessary. Listen to what your body tells you! If your joints need rest, let them rest. You can set yourself back several months with an injury from overtraining. Most Importantly, HAVE FUN!
2003-07-28 9:16 AM

User image

Champion
Subject: GREAT!!!!

mmmm.....homebrew.  i homebrew too.  just finished a batch of 100ibu chinook sunday.  should be tasty.

anyway, happy birthday soon and u will have no problems with a sprint tri next summer. 

i guess a few tips to start off would be to be careful starting a walk/run program.  some find that the knees start getting angry.  if this happens, stay walking more and switch to bike training and a good diet to shed off some pounds so it's easier on your knees when u transition to a run program.  also get properly fitted with good pair of running shoes at at respectable runners store.  if u find that u have swim trouble or still fighting to stay afloat even after u develop good stroke technique, then maybe swimming in a siut will help your bouyancy.

my book recommendations are 'triathloning for ordinary mortals'  by steven jonas.  great training program and another walk/run program.  this is for an olympic distance though.  BUT a very humble, approachable book by a person just wanting to have fun and place.  the other book is 'when big boys tri' by michael pate at www.whenbigboystri.com .  mike writes for this site and i have read the book (hoping to review it in august)  not much focused on training programs BUT has a lot of inspiration, tips, and takes u from why he made the decision to tri all the way to several tri's later.  has a very humourous feel to it.

good luck, and keep the questions coming (and the homebrew flowing)

2003-07-28 1:10 PM

Regular
Gulfport, MS
Subject: RE: First Triathlon in May/June of next year.
I too am shooting for next May! I am out of shape from having two kids and very little inspiration (in my past). Now, I am having a blast riding bikes with them and walking/running while they ride their bikes.
I am just thrilled that you are doing this. Not only are you going to feel great, but I can't imagine how your wife is going to feel knowing you are also doing this for her. I cannot imagine being a cancer surviver and for you to show her you love her this much...WOW.
A book that I started with is Triathlon 101. It is very good for the beginner.
Just remember, ALWAYS observe the 10% rule. I didn't and I ended up in therapy for 6 weeks with a bad knee. When they say 10%, they MEAN IT!!!!
Keep up the great work and stick with it!!!
2003-07-28 1:29 PM

Issaquah, WA
Thanks you guys... I will check those books and establish a plan... for the 10.5 months prior to my first tri. The 10% rule is probably the first factor that burns people... I have a lot of ego and performance habits so I will have to take it easy... otherwise I will probably get injured and I really do not want that... football has done enough damages already!

One question: I have a mountain bike with half/half road/off-road tires... I will off course change them to slicks any other suggestions? I will do one thriathlon with it and then I will see on how I can invest in a bike... I have an old Bianchi road bike at my parents house that I can probably tweak and tune... But with my weight I think I will start on a more rigid bike frame and maybe later change...

Thanks for your tips and suggestions and if anybody has time to answer my bike worries that would be great!
Thanks
Patrice
2003-07-28 6:58 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Patrice,

You have embarked on what will be a great adventure. Rest assured that when the people who surround you find out you are training for a triathlon; you will get some negative feedback. Don’t listen to it and if you do, use it as a source of motivation.

When others think you can’t ---- You Believe!
When you get down------ You Believe!
When you are taking on water trying to conquer the swim -----You Believe!
When you are trying to make that first milestone jogging and your lungs are about to explode ---- You Believe!
When your legs are burning and you just don’t want to pedal your bike any more --- You Believe!
When you don’t want to get out of bed on a cold rain drenched morning --- You Believe!
When you feel like you are making no progress --- You Believe!
Bottom line --- You Believe!

I am not by any stretch of the imagination near the end of my journey, but I believe that I can continue to improve by continuing to loose weight and to get in better shape.

I will make you one promise. I will make myself available and will do anything that I can to help you reach your goals. If you have a question that you are not comfortable asking on the board email me personally and I will do my best to help you.

You have a year to get ready, so the advice about the 10% Rule is something you should adhere to. I fight that rule on a daily basis because I to have an ego and as strange as it may seem, I forget sometimes that I have 150lbs on a lot of these guys I train with. Build a good solid base and this will help you prevent injuries also.

I would suggest doing most of your training using a heart rate monitor and there are some good articles you will find at Beginner Triathlete on using your monitor effectively.

A great motivational book that helped me get things in perspective was John Bingham’s “The Courage to Start” It is a book on running, but I think that it would be great reading for you in the start when you want to stay motivated.

I leave you with this one last thought-----Think big, believe big, act big, and the results will be big. –Anonymous

Welcome to the Family!

Still Tri’n
Michael

2003-08-18 1:54 AM

Vancouver, British Columbia
I too just turned 32 (Aug 5) and am 6'0 233lbs. In November 2002 I was at 265lbs, but training for my first tri has brought me down 30+ pounds.
Yesterday, I finished my first tri (400m/20k/5k) and it was incredible! My unofficial time was 1:35. Still waiting for the official results.
In December, I decided to get back into shape, joined a gym, and did cardio on the elliptical. Then I tried swimming. I knew how to swim, but was out of breath after 25m! I decided to train for the triathlon in March, a bit optimistic but like yourself, I too have a tendancy to push things a bit to hard!
My swimming improved greatly due to a little coaching from the lifeguard at the Y. You are lucky that your wife knows proper techniques and can coach you. Practice practice practice! I now try to swim 3x a week, a mile each time. Yesterday, I found the 400m swim a breeze!
I don't own a bike, so my training consisted of cycle fit (spin class to some) classes twice a week at the gym. I borrowed a mountain bike with slicks for the race! I wouldn't recommend this training exclusively but it sounds like you have a bike and can practice on the road. Cycle fit classes are great cardio workouts.
I hated running because my knees would hurt, so I ran on the treadmill, working my way up from 2 kms to 6-7kms. I find running on the road less painful now, especially with the 30 lbs gone!
I doubt this was the best workout regiment but it got me through the race. I now have the tri 'bug' so I am looking to set a proper training program.
Where can I find more info on the Issaquah tri? I am in Vancouver, BC so it would be a fun trip down to Washington.
Anyway, good luck and keep training cause its a great feeling crossing the finish line with your wife there supporting you!
2003-08-18 9:54 AM

Issaquah, WA
It's even better because now my wife decided last week to do triathlons with me... so that we can spend time together and increase her chances of surviving that disease... Also our daughter that is 9 will train and do kids traithlon whenever we will do ours... so that is cool because we will be able to do triathlon as a family. I started the running program fro scratch on the website and I find it really good... I am at the 4th week so next week I will be starting the jogging part... It's been easy so far... i have been doing cardio for the last 2.5 months on the elleptical so I guessed it helped. Issaquah Triathlon is usually end of may of first week of june. Saturday I went to see my first triathlon in my new neighborhood (Beaver Lake Triathlon) and I had flies in my stomach and my legs were nervous... I wanted to be in there... first time I have that feeling!!! I guess that is really good!

See you all, have a good week of training!
Slainthe (Cheers in gaelic, good to know in Ireland)
Patrice
2003-08-20 3:28 PM

Columbus, OH
Hello, you guys are great, I like positive people I am 28y/o and just started training for a tri. I also have MS which slows my training down by a little bit. As soon as my muscles absorb the heat, I start limping. So I walk for a few feet and continue... But I want to participate in a sprint tri next year, it is my goal, I want to show what I have achieved besides getting my MBA during that time as well.
2003-08-20 3:33 PM
in reply to: #347

Columbus, OH
Subject: RE: Welcome!
Jay, which tri are you shooting for? I am also training for the next year. I started out training for Great Lake Escape but could not keep up with the training
2003-09-10 5:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Palisade, CO
Hi,
We seem to have similar backgrounds and reasons for giving it a "Tri". After playing football and rugby in college the activity level went way down and the weight went way up. I decided that I needed to do something now (At 31) or each year it would get even harder to get the weight off. One of the things that helped me stay motivated was to get my entry into the race in as soon as I could.

I found the training plan that I have be using at http://www.trinewbies.com
They have several different programs designed for different race lengths and current fitness level. I am on the 10-week sprint program

As for motivation and encouragement this is a great site

Good luck

Jason

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First Triathlon in May/June of next year. Rss Feed