General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike drills without trainer/stationary bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-12 11:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Bay Area CA
Subject: Bike drills without trainer/stationary bike
My training plan calls for bicycle drills (single leg drills) and says this should only be done on a trainer/stationary bike. Unfortunately, I don't have a trainer or access to a quality stationary bike (I kick myself every day for not buying a trainer and putting it in our shipment, but what's done is done).

So, my long winded question is this: can drills be done if you're riding in a relatively safe, secluded portion of road. For example, on the 1 mile loop inside my housing complex, where there is not a lot of traffic during the day - most of which drives in the middle of the road anyways.

Am I nuts? Is the necessity for stationary riding because of the balance needed for single leg drills? I can't imagine waiting until June to start doing bicycle drills is really a good option either.

Thoughts, suggestions, figure it out and shop whining?!?

2008-03-12 12:18 PM
in reply to: #1267243

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Bike drills without trainer/stationary bike
You could simply try to 'unweight' one of your legs and focus on the other leg.  Or, if the road is truly safe you could unclip one leg.  Finally, you could just skip the one-leg drill.  It's not the end of the world if you skip this.  Just riding more will work.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike drills without trainer/stationary bike Rss Feed