General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting through the first open water tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-03-15 7:30 PM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Subject: Getting through the first open water tri
The time has come for me expand my horizons in tri's. I plan on doing my first open water tri in june.. i know i can swim the distance with ease.. but some reason i keep psyching myself out.. little shadows of self-dout come in... am i the only that has/is dealing with this?... i think i spend way to much time thinking about this.

HOW DO YOU GET PAST THIS...??

momo

2008-03-15 7:57 PM
in reply to: #1274000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lapel
Subject: RE: Getting through the first open water tri
open water practice will probably help the most.
You'll do fine - try not to overthink it.

we all go through it the first (or 2nd, 3rd) time.
2008-03-15 8:03 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

Check with your local tri-club (or masters clubs if they have open water swimmers) and see if they have any open water clinics or practices.  Just getting into open water a few times before the race can help ease your doubt.

Good luck,

Shane

2008-03-15 8:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sturtevant, WI
definitely get in the open water quite a few times before your race. it used to totally freak me out, so i forced myself to become "friends" with the open water by just sitting on the bottom where it was kinda weedy (with the goggles on so i could see what was going on) until i just didn't care anymore.

i also went out for a few swims on windy days in order to deal with some "waves". (the lake where i swim/race is a little man-made inland lake with very little in the wave department.)

for my first open water race, i told myself that i HAD TO swim the first 200 meters no matter what i felt like. i totally freaked out with all the arms & legs flailing around me, but by 200 meters (a rough guess), i got over it. i then told myself that i HAD TO swim around the end bouy (it was an out & back course), and by that time, i was feeling great, so i finished strong.

i hope this helps!!!
2008-03-15 11:51 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

momo - 2008-03-15 5:30 PM The time has come for me expand my horizons in tri's. I plan on doing my first open water tri in june.. i know i can swim the distance with ease.. but some reason i keep psyching myself out.. little shadows of self-dout come in... am i the only that has/is dealing with this?... i think i spend way to much time thinking about this. HOW DO YOU GET PAST THIS...?? momo

You can't get past it, you can only get through it.  Welcome to triathlon...

Get out in open water beforehand, see how different it is (n.b. be safe--go with a buddy or to a guarded/polpulated beach).  Get a handle on sighting/navigation.  And on race day, try to keep toward the edge of the pack so you can avoid swimming in a crowd--that's a whole new degree of difficulty that you don't need for your first race.

2008-03-16 8:50 AM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
I am comfortable with open water swims (most of the summer is spent at the cottage) but found triathlon a whole different kettle of fish!

I tried to stay out of the "washing machine' of flailing arms and legs by staying way to the left of the crowd but have such poor sighting skills that I ended up swimming crooked and needlessly adding many useless meters to the swim!!

Does anyone have any tips on open water sighting, other than just following the masses?

2008-03-16 9:06 AM
in reply to: #1274430

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sturtevant, WI
aquagirl - 2008-03-16 8:50 AM

I am comfortable with open water swims (most of the summer is spent at the cottage) but found triathlon a whole different kettle of fish!

I tried to stay out of the "washing machine' of flailing arms and legs by staying way to the left of the crowd but have such poor sighting skills that I ended up swimming crooked and needlessly adding many useless meters to the swim!!

Does anyone have any tips on open water sighting, other than just following the masses?

i sight every 9 or 10 strokes...otherwise, i'll be WAY off course! whether you think you need it or not, make sure you signt. it's amazing how crooked we can swim! (me in particular!)
2008-03-16 9:10 AM
in reply to: #1274446

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Stupid question here: how exactly do you sight? Do you just do a few stokes of head up crawl or just pause your swim and look up or what?

Thanks!
2008-03-16 9:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA
As earlier posters said, try to find a clinic or coach who offers open water lessons or practice. This is a good way to get comfortable with swimming in open water without the additional stress of race day and lots of other people around you.

In my first race, I swam a couple of hundred yards then flipped on my back to catch my breath, calm down, and regroup. I did this a couple of times in an 800m swim. I was last out of the water in my age group, but I got through it fine.

Additionally, I think it helps if your first open-water race is wetsuit-legal. While wetsuits present their own host of things to get used to, there is a real security blanket effect to wearing one. That is, I think it's pretty tough to drown in a wetsuit. Plus, you can really feel the buoancy the suit offers. It didn't take away the fear of things you can't see, but it at least gave me confidence I could get through the distance.

Finally, almost everyone gets nervous about open water the first time. You have lots of company in this regard so don't beat yourself up about it. Race day morning, you'll hear lots of people talking about their nervousness. And, as for spending to much time thinking about it, the obsessiveness tends to be a common trait in the tri community. As soon as you overcome this fear, you'll likely start spending too much time thinking about other tri-related things (how do I reduce my transition time, should I get a fancy tri suit, should I shave my legs, replace my shoelaces with elastic, etc)! Good luck!
2008-03-16 11:46 AM
in reply to: #1274450

Elite
Laurium, MI

aquagirl - 2008-03-16 8:10 AM Stupid question here: how exactly do you sight? Do you just do a few stokes of head up crawl or just pause your swim and look up or what? Thanks!

if you've only swam in a pool, I almost guarentee that you can't swim straight in OW.  It's amazing how you come to depend on that line on the bottom of the pool.  I was like this.  Even sighting every 2 strokes, I'd go way wide.  The more OW you do, you better you get at swimming straight.  Some say to practice swimming in the pool with your eyes closed, but it's not the same (and you end up 'missing' turns and smacking the wall).  So when you first start, you will need to look every few strokes, but as you get better, you can drop that down.  When I sight, I keep swimming but just lift my head.  Just before I lift my head, I make that one stroke just a little stronger and use that to slightly push my head and shoulders out of the water (almost like a butterfly breath), take a quick glance then put my head back down in time for the next stroke.  If I'm in a pack, I just follow the draft and occasionally look up to make sure the group is heading the right way. 

2008-03-16 12:02 PM
in reply to: #1274556

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to practicing at the cottage this summer, but for now I will continue to gaze lovingly at the black line!

Helen

2008-03-16 12:33 PM

User image

Expert
oregon ave,

It is probably the most thought about part of anyone's first tri.  So this is normal.  As said before, get in open water if you can.  Better yet, get in open water around a whole bunch of other swimmers.

Not that this would replace experience in the OW but, if OW sswims are not possible, visualize what you want to do during your swim as many times as you can.  Come race day it will feel a little more comfy. 

Start on the outside and/or outsideback.  This will keep you out of the blender of bodies.  It has been said a bunch; you won't win the race on the swim but you could loose it, or worse yet, DNF. 

Best thing to focus on is remaining clam and smooth.  Don't worry about speed.  Easier said then done come race day.  Good luck. 

Edited by mikep 2008-03-16 12:34 PM
2008-03-16 1:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sturtevant, WI
i'm not quite sure how i figured this out, so i don't know if this will help much, but...

i SOMEHOW figured out how to swim with my head out of the water (on a sighting stroke) while keeping my legs and torso afloat at the surface. maybe it came from coaching my dad and swimming alongside him while analyzing his stroke...no idea, really...i don't go nearly as fast as i do with my head in the water, but for some reason, it can be done! i just remember popping my head out of the water to watch his stroke from a "top" view and thinking, "hmmm...my head is up, and my torso and feet are, too...this is so WEIRD!!!" maybe it has something to do with my freaky-flexible spine...i don't know...either way, it has REALLY helped my sighting!

maybe try swimming next to someone to look at their stroke, and then pop your head out of the water...i really wish i could duplicate this for you!

again, it was one of those things where i was like, "not that i'm complaining, but how is THIS happening??!!?!?!" maybe it will happen to you, too, and you'll have that, "this is weird, yet cool" feeling...
2008-03-16 3:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Not being able to see past your elbow takes a swim or two to get accustomed to, but once you do it a few times, it becomes second nature. I find open water far more enjoyable than swimming in a pool.
2008-03-16 3:38 PM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Thanks for all the replies.. there's some good stuff in here. we'll see what happens..
2008-03-16 5:19 PM
in reply to: #1274718

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sturtevant, WI
fgray - 2008-03-16 3:23 PM
I find open water far more enjoyable than swimming in a pool.

Ditto...there's just way more to look at...black lines are boring...

2008-03-16 6:09 PM

User image

Expert
don't listen to any of this, for the full expierence you just need to run to the front of the pack and give it all you got. Everyone needs to have that what the f--- feeling carved into their brain. Its truly a point in your life that you will never forget!

ps. tighten your goggles a few notches!
2008-03-16 6:40 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
I can understand your anxiety. I have my first open water tri in 6 days. I've completed far more than 800m in the pool, but I'm still worried about everything else (wetsuit, sighting, being kicked, etc) especially considering that I haven't done any open water swims to prepare. Last time I touched open water was about a year ago while camping, and I was mostly floating on a raft in the middle of a cove. However, I did have to leave the raft and swim back to shore several times to get a new beer. One hand for swimming, the other for the beer. It really was quite challenging.
2008-03-16 7:39 PM

User image

Buttercup

momo - 2008-03-15 8:30 PM The time has come for me expand my horizons in tri's. I plan on doing my first open water tri in june.. i know i can swim the distance with ease.. but some reason i keep psyching myself out.. little shadows of self-dout come in... am i the only that has/is dealing with this?... i think i spend way to much time thinking about this. HOW DO YOU GET PAST THIS...?? momo

You get past it by getting THROUGH it - as in getting THROUGH the water.

I come from a swimming background and it just happened that my first OWS training session was in VERY choppy conditions. I came out of the water so freaking PO'd that it was so much work and the coach more or less laughed at me. He said that would probably be the worst swim condition I would ever face, and that I should expect 95% of the OWS to be much easier. Turns out he was right!

Anyway, just get in the water and swim. If you've got the conditioning, you just have to keep your mental game under control. Easy peasy, right?

2008-03-16 7:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Grayson, Ga.
I wish I asked or even knew what to expect. My first OWS was rough, many of the lakes in the GA area are lined with red clay so the water is a bit murkey, to say the least. LOL.
The horn went off and I hit the water, I could just make out my finger tips, and the feet in front. I was quickly dropped and becase of being freaked out I side swam a lot of it. Getting passed by all the other colored caps stunk, but my goal was to complete the swim and move on.

I see lots of good advice, but one small thing that helped me was to get some dark goggles and when your face is down shut your eyes, be careful not to smack the way, so count your strokes.

I'm sure you'll be fine, knowing what you now know your going to PR it the swim.

Let is know how you do.

-Brian
2008-03-16 8:07 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Another thing that seems obvious but that's important to remember is that every OWS is a little different. My first one was very easy-- flat water, not much current, found easy drafting "targets", etc. So I was probably a little too lackadaisical about preparing for the next one, which turned out to be much more challenging.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting through the first open water tri Rss Feed