Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Advice for a dad.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2004-12-17 3:13 PM

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: Advice for a dad....
Any parents of little triathletes out there? My five year old daughter wants to swim when I swim, bike when I bike, run when I run, etc... And of course she plans to compete in the Olympics in...everything.

I am really thankful that she wants to be athletic, but I don't want to be one of those parents who pushes their kid into sports even if it's by example. I'm going to put her in swim lessons this Spring, which of course is a pretty normal thing.

Anyone have their kids little ones do the Ironkids races or anything like that?

2004-12-17 6:31 PM
in reply to: #93856

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Subject: RE: Advice for a dad....

My 5 year old daughter is much the same.  She CAN do everything, and if you don't believe her, she'll prove it to you.  She already can run a solid mile with me (probably in Z1).  We are doing a 5K at Disney in January.  She will be fine.  She doesn't like the swim so much, so that's keeping her from tris.  She rides her bike while I run, and has no problem biking 5-7 miles at a 9 minute/mile pace.  

I'd say, just lead by example and let the kids' find their calling.  It will change 10000 times, at least my kids' ambitions have!!  

2004-12-17 6:56 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

That's so cute!

OK, I don't have any kids, but I have plenty of opinions! LOL! Grain o' salt and all that.....

You know, there's a LOT of space between pushing your kid too hard and not pushing them at all! I really wish my parents had pushed me at least a little with athletics. For instance, when i wanted to quit soccer, they didn't even try to talk me out of it. I wanted to quit and I did. No questions asked. Seems like there's some margin of error. And why is it considered good to push your kids in academics, but not athletics, anyhow?

Wendi- That's so funny about your daughter being able to do anything. When I was that age, I heard on some program that we only use a certain percentage of our brains. So I had this little theory that everyone actually had ALL the knowledge there is to be had, it was just a matter of "activating" that part of the brain and that's what we call learning. It involved tiny frogs and filing cabinets inside one's head as well (I wasn't a totally boring and analytical little kid!). Well, instead of explaining my little theory, I'd just walk up to people and tell them "I know everything." LOL! Oh, to be a kid again. :-)

I got challenged a lot on that one. People would say, "Ok then, what's the capital city of Madagascar?" And I'd say, "I haven't learned that yet," and go on about frogs and filing cabinets until they gave up. LOL!

2004-12-18 6:18 PM

Kerrville, TX
I have two boys (9 & 7) who have done several triathlons (the small kids one). My 3 yr old daughter, will be awesome. She can already run a mile, loves to bike and can't fully swim but really wants to.

My 9 year old is a member of a swim club (so is the 7 yr old, but not as interested). At a swim meet, this past weekend, my 9 year old did a 50m swim as fast as I do.

One of my most proud moments was watching the 9 yr old (8 at that time) in a kids triathlon. He came off the bike at a FULL SPRINT and raced past several older kids. It was cool!!!

I don't push them, but the swimming keeps them in shape for all the other sports they do (soccer, b-ball, baseball, etc).
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Advice for a dad.... Rss Feed