General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona April 2008 - BS, DNF Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

Ironman Arizona April 2008 - BS, DNF - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Ironman North America
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

"Barely Started, Did Not Finish"

I won't get into the usual arriving in tempe, riding the course, meeting bters, experiencing IronMan for the first time, as it doesn't feel appropriate. But the days leading up to IMAZ were exactly what I wanted, and I was just trying to experience every moment.

If you've read my blog you've read this "report" more or less, nothing new, really.

I do want to express how much this site, and its members, mean to me. It's easy to take you all for granted, but when the shit hits the fan, and you people -- who generally have experienced everything there is to experience in tris and know what it's like when a race goes south -- come through with support, love, acceptance, kicks in the ass, and perspective... well, that's when this site really shines. I know that myself and several other IMAZers who needed the right words at the right time got them here. From friends and total strangers. What a great family we have here.

Anyway, long story short, DNFd the swim, by far my strongest leg and the one I had "in the bag." Maybe cosmic karma came my way, got a little too cocky, some hubris in my goody bag. More likely I needed the lesson that nothing in life, tris, etc. is guaranteed, or in the bag.

I started about 3 rows back, about 30 feet from the Ford buoy. Was a fairly clean swim, I've had worse sprints. HR was hovering around 148, a little high, but I could live with it. My thoughts during the swim was "this is going really well." About at ASU I started to feel what I thought was seasick, which was odd, since I don't get seasick. Slowed down and worked on form, figured I'd get thru it. At the far bridge I realized it wasn't that, but something like vertigo, every time I rolled right I could feel it. I stopped to try to shake it off.

DOn't remember if I started swimming or was still stopped, but all of a sudden BAM my face was in the water and I couldn't figure out how to get it out. I was swallowing water, trying to pick my head up, but I couldn't figure out where up was, so getting air was hard, almost impossible. The world was spinning out of control, and I couldn't do anything to stop it. The guy behind me stopped and said "hey are you OK?" since i was clearly thrashing about like a panic attack. I don't know what I said, but looked right and there was a boat, I instinctively raised my hand, and a guard swam out to me.

I told her i was having vertigo and couldn't tell up from down. She stabilized me and brought me to the boat. Let me say I have never had vertigo while swimming. I get alternobaric vertigo on occasion when diving in cold water and a hood when changing depths but it passes in seconds. I also swim in colder water than this at home. The only thing I did differently was tightening my goggles a bit, which I always do for ocean or crowded swims.

At the boat, the other guards were asking "cramps?" cold?" "tired?" nope..... I wish. I was sitting on the swim step, trying to shake it. It wasn't getting much better, but I sat watching hundreds of swimmers pass by. I was resigned to losing my 1:00 goal. Just get thru the swim. I said I was going to give it another shot, they assigned a kayaker to watch me. I jumped in, and tried to swim. Vertigo still there. I breaststroked. Better, but way too slow, I'd never make it. Modified water polo stroke with head out of the water. Got to the turn around buoy, got to the second buoy, and then it hit again big time. I hung onto the kayak again for a while, but I wanted another shot. My swim to then was good and on target, even with the stop on the boat. It was 7:28 and I was past the turn around, heading home. I had nearly 2 hours to go a mile. Should be a piece of cake, that's like 4 times what I need. Tried to clear the vertigo, but now was starting to get nasueous.

I tried again and started my modified stroke again, but started to slowly realize that there was no way I could keep a bike upright safely, affecting me and everyone else, even if I could muscle thru the swim. When the vertigo hit bad again this time, it felt as though someone was pushing my legs up and my face into the water. If you've ever had it, you know the feeling is as real as someone actually doing it. I went back to the kayak, that's when the vomiting and dry heaving started. "Do you want me to call the boat?" I had to say yes. At that point I just wanted the spinning and nausea to stop. I also wanted to say "I am not a bad swimmer, a panicker, a slow swimmer, if I could do anything to make this stop just so I could swim, I would" At that point I felt like I was in survival mode and didn't care about the race. I had tried to go on three times, and each time I felt as if I was drowning.

At the athlete's dinner, PNF was referring to the heat when she said don't leave your brains behind. In getting in the boat I believe I was saving my life. I honestly believe that had I tried to continue the outcome might have been very, very bad. I have done a lot of risky and remote diving with sharks, heavy currents, open water swimming in fairly big surf. I am pretty comfortable in the water. I am not exxagerating when I say I as scared for my life as I've ever been in the water. I don't say that lightly.

When the boat came, I was able to haul myself in, but face planted because as soon as my head went over the vertigo came on. Vomited off the side of the boat. "May I have your chip?" I made a half hearted effor to get it off, but they ended up doing it. At that point my day was officially over. Told them my number in betwen dry heaves. Transferred to another boat, and they had to basically carry me over. More vomiting. Got to an ambulance on shore, couldn't stand up. More vomiting. Eventually made it to the gurney using a railing to walk with. Got into the ambulance. More vomiting. Laid in medical for about an hour, with more vomiting. Couldn't take anything in. My BP was 90/60 for the first 30 minutes. Guess that's bad.

There was one light hearted moment, they were putting me on the gurney, but given i was puking my guts out, told them I should be on my left side. EMT touched my fucked up shoulder and said "whoa... umm, is that normal?" I said "no... I mean, for me it is... but no, it's not normal."

It was cold in the med tent, so they eventually sat me in the sun, in a wheelchair, just between med and the US airways parking lot, since there was a stiff breeze blowing through. In my jammers, as families and support walked by. Fucking great. Not humiliating at all.

I have to thank my friend Cat for coming by at that moment, although it turned on the waterworks, she knows what I was going thru and somehow knew exactly what to say. Don't know if she knew what that meant to me, she does now. I'll always owe her for being there. Love you, Cat.

One other swimmer came in, hypothermia, I think. They were going to send me to the ER, but the head doc said probably not necessary, take me home, fluids, etc. Another walk of shame. I couldn't walk without support, so my wife got the car as close as she could, and they wheeled me over, still in just my jammers, in a wheelchair, through all the people coming to the race. More absolute fucking humiliation. To top it off, the only place my wife could park was next the the finisher's chute. I always thought I'd get to the finisher's chute, just not like that.

I was OK emotionally until I had the nurse call my wife, then the emotions hit, and really didn't stop all Sunday. After getting back to the hotel, I basically laid in a dark room from 9 am until about 7 pm trying to get water, gatorade, pringles down. Anything. No TV, just lying there. I think I made it through 1/2 a bottle of water and 20 pringles. Although I was only in the water for 30 minutes, I felt like absolute crap.

We had to get my bike and bags, so we had to go back to the race. I really did not want to. Emotions hit me again as we passed the runners on Scottsdale Bridge. I couldn't even watch, I had to turn my head. I couldn't walk past the finisher chute so we went the long way, but hearing the cheering, Reilly's voice, it was painful and I had to stop and just let it out. My wife Wendy met with Cat for a while waiting for her boyfriend Jeff, so I went down under the Mill bridge and sat on the lakeside, watching where my body failed me on one side in the water, and watching the runners go by on the other, where I was supposed to be. I think it was therapeutic to see these brave people doing something that I could not do on that day.

Walking through the expo, everyone with medals, finisher's shirts. I just walked with my head down, so I didn't see them and they couldn't see my red eyes. I wanted out of there as fast as possible. I immediately took the stickers off my bike. I took the rack sticker with my name and threw it out. Came home and purged the room of the athlete's guide, the race instructions, race plans, articles, the poster, anything to do with this race. Gave away the license plate frame to Jeff since he didn't get on, he refused the 140.6 sticker I bought, he told me to put it in a drawer. I was fucking pissed at IMAZ, disappointed in myself..... all the inappropriate acting out emotions, that seemed quite appropriate under the circumstances.

At midnight Sunday, as I was writing, I could hear people returning to the hotel after their finishes. THat's where I always thought I'd be. In all of my dreams and visions, etc., it always included me crossing the line. I sent out an email to friends and coworkers saying "watch me" and all they get is a line of "0"s. More explanations. For some reason I was embarrassed, ashamed. Just wanted to hide. Quit. I trained for 6 months. Spent hundreds and hundreds, medical bills, equipment, worked through the accident, Untold hours of stress and attention to all these little details. For what. A fucking 1/2 hour swim

After I wrote a long blog entry, with a lot of anger and emotion, and frankly quite a bit of self pity, I had a long talk with Wendy and the thing she said that stuck to my heart was "you weren't given the choice to finish. Your body said no." She was right, even if I could have found a way to get thru the swim, I couldn't even stand up, much less ride a bike. I could barely kneel on the ground without toppling over. My day was over in the first 30 minutes. There wasn't a damn thing I could do about it. It's just taken a couple days to accept it. What she said is what turned me around.

So, lying in bed, at 2 am, I decided that I would go back to the expo, grab my special needs bags, return the IMAZ jersey and hat (they said "we only do exchanges." I said "I didn't finish, I can't wear these." they said "oh, OK", what are they gonna do, make me exchange it for finisher's gear???), and.... decided to get my number to do IMAZ 11/09. Wendy asked if it was the IM I wanted to do. I said it's the one I feel I need to do. Not for revenge. But to borrow a phrase, to take care of unfinished business.

I felt better planning out the rest of this and next year's big races, SIlverman HIM 08, Cali 70.3 09, SOMA 09, IMAZ 09. Life goes on, there are more races, more friends to be made, experiences to have. Just get me to the starting line. Heard a good yiddish saying the other day, "Man plans, God laughs." Yup, it's just sometimes I don't get his sense of humor.

Despite all this perspective, Monday morning was difficult. Probably the wrong thing to do, but I avoided the people I came here with, for right or wrong. They are the people I trained with and care about, but I didn't think I could get through explaining what happened over and over. I didn't think I could see all of them in finisher's gear and hold myself together. I do want to congratulate them, and I don't want to take away what they've accomplished. But I don't want to hear all the war stories about how hard it was. That's absolutely their right to tell about what happened on what will be remembered as an epic day. Maybe someday, not tomorrow. I've told them all this in email, they understand.

I've learned some good stuff in the last couple days, hopefully to carry it through to the next challenge. Getting away from tempe, into Sedona, gave me some new perspective. Today, driving around looking for vortices, acting silly and singing stupid songs about Javelinas, my wife said "you know, I am not complaining, but it's hard to believe you suffered an IM DNF just yesterday."

The silver lining is that those of us DNF ing the swim were probably the smartest, given the conditions. Might as well get to it, a lot of folks DNFd and ended up in much worse shape than I.

I want to thank Wendy, who came ready to support me all day long in the heat, and who ended up wondering where I was after the swim and worrying about me, and getting a call from medical out of the blue. She sat with me all day, consoled me. And then said the words that turned it around. Nice to have your best friend as your wife.

And I want to thank the incredible people here, I will try to do each one personally. Yoou have no idea how muc the support means

Now, enough of IMAZ 2008. Onward and upward.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race

Last updated: 2007-04-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 00 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 00 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-04-15 1:12 AM

User image

Subject: Ironman Arizona April 2008 - BS, DNF

2008-04-15 1:34 AM
in reply to: #1338325

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona - BS, DNF

It is a blessing to hear from you, Chris.

Wendy's absolutely right--you had no choice. What happened to you is terrible in itself even if it didn't cost you the IM, but it was probably your body's way of warning you from something worse further in. I have no doubt you will have a far better experience in your first IM than you would have had even if you'd finished this one.

You are a tremendous human in all ways--you did all that unseen thankless hard work to get you here, and carried and inspired many of us with you. This is one of those unfortunate "journey is the reward" experiences. Thank you so much for sharing it with us, because believe me, those of us who will go on to have something similar happen--and I think many of us will--will remember your grace, acceptance, and the willingness to continue pursuing races and dreams.

2008-04-15 1:57 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Dude, your honesty and valor is amazing.  I know you'll complete that "unfinished business" in 09.  Not a doubt in my mind.  You are an inspiration.  Seriously.  You took a fastball to the gut, jumped up and got right back in the batter's box.  That, Chris, is being a man...Iron or otherwise. 

Chris 

2008-04-15 3:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carpinteria, Ca.
Thanks for youor candid write-up.

I have a good bit of experience failing at something you have worked very hard to get thru, in my case being a SEAL, and I can say first hand that I learned more from those failures than from any of the successes I have had before and since. You didn't "ring out" your body did.

Get some rest, and learn what is meant to be learned from this. It was an unavoidable situation, you fought like a maniac to stay in it after your body was screaming no, for that you can call yourself a stud in my book, lesser men would have gladly pulled out when the first signs of problems showed, you fought with everything you had.

Hold the chin up, and get yourself put back together. I'd bet you fought harder during your 30 mins than many did during their whole race.
2008-04-15 4:12 AM

User image

Master
You WILL get 'er done next year. 
2008-04-15 4:19 AM

User image

Louisiana

I'm a lurker around here, but I followed your race Sunday. Thanks for the report. But mostly thanks for this precious piece of wisdom, that came from your experience...

"More likely I needed the lesson that nothing in life, tris, etc. is guaranteed, or in the bag."

It's worth more than any finisher's medal. 

2008-04-15 4:56 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Chris,

Thank you for sharing about your difficult IM day with us when it would be so easy not to. Unexpected stuff happens and you dealt with it in the smart way.

Two of your comments stuck out to me

"Man plans, God laughs."

Wendy and the thing she said that stuck to my heart was "you weren't given the choice to finish. Your body said no."

Then there is the A/C separation humor too

BT is a special place and glad you are a part of it.

I think we can learn more about ourselves in difficult situations than we do when things go as planned..you have had an interesting few months...

Be well Chris

2008-04-15 6:14 AM

User image

Elite
You really laid the story out there for all of us to understand what you went through Chris.  You really are an incredibly strong person and this will only make you stronger.  Very happy you decided not to disappear and I look forward to conversing with you as we both move closer and closer to our first IM victories.
2008-04-15 6:28 AM

User image

Pro
MAC-opolis

There are no coincidences in life.  Your experience will have a tremendous impact on the hundreds who will go through the same thing. 

2008-04-15 6:40 AM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
WOW!!! Great report!  When your body says no, there really is no choice. Enjoy some rest, you deserve it!!
2008-04-15 6:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Chris, I am a frequent lurker and an infrequent poster. I have followed along on your journey and I am just so moved by this report... The depth of this personal challenge and the powerful way you are dealing with it has really left me, well...speechless. Please know that we are all here to support each other and you are a huge source of motivation for this first time IronMan wannabe.... Posting your report while your emotions are still so raw really impacted me... Thank you

2008-04-15 7:08 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Wow, Chris...not sure what to say.  The vertigo experience sounds pretty damn scary.  I can relate to not achieving lofty goals, but we all get over it.  Training is the best medicine.  You'll get that IM finish next time.  Thanks for writing your report!
2008-04-15 7:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
I'm so sorry that Sunday turned out like it did.  Like Scout, I can't imagine the terror of vertigo in the water.  You have more strength than you know to train for this race, have the type of day you did, and get back on the horse.  I'm sure Wendy knows how special you are and she seems a wise and wonderful partner.  Good luck in the future races
2008-04-15 7:22 AM

Veteran
Chris,
You are our hero. You may not think so, but the courage you had to write what you did is amazing and admirable. For those of us planning our first IM, this is a good lesson of "you never know" and keeps us attuned to our bodies. You trained for this thing big time, so there's no way you weren't ready. You made the right choice! Congratulations.
Rhonda
2008-04-15 7:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Truly inspirational race report and outlook!
2008-04-15 8:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Hey bro!

Ginormous effort! I've DNF'D 2 IM races in the past, so don't sweat it. You did the training, prep and everything you could. Anything can happen, some for the best-and sometimes not for the best.
DO NOT feel bad about this. You did the smart thing. Your life is priceless, you will do another race.

God bless, and I hope you are recovering well today!

Randy

2008-04-15 8:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thank you for putting it all out on the table like that, Chris. I can't imagine what you had to go through out there in AZ, but I know, that situation could happen to any of us, strong or not. I give you alot of credit for not just sharing with us, but for making a conscious decision to move on and not let this define or encompass you. I look forward to your 09 return.
2008-04-15 8:24 AM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Sorry bro. I know it's not going to make you feel better but as you know I DNF'ed on the swim for IM before. I always get what you just got this one time, seasickness and naseausness, but I take 2 dramamine to counter the effects. Yours sounds like a fluke since you never got it before but I personally know how you feel about the DNF. Good to see you get up and start planning your races and not just get discouraged.

Again, sorry to hear it but keep your head up and good luck in the future.
2008-04-15 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Chicago

Chris-

I am so sorry to read what happened to you on Sunday.  Your race report brought me to tears...the way you were so open and honest, I really admire that.

I agree with the others...keep up the hard work, as I have no doubt next year in AZ, when you hear Reilley's voice, he'll be announcing that "You are an Ironman!"

Good luck to you!

2008-04-15 8:29 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
wow...that sounds scary!  I would have totally freaked out as am not confortable in the water...that would have put me over the edge.  I commend you for your determination!  What ever brought this on for you...who knows?  You have nothing to be embarrassed about.  You'll get it next time!
2008-04-15 8:33 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Enjoy Sedona, I love it up there. Get home, get organized, and get back out training. I will be in your face in your logs for the next 18 months, so be prepared.

Edited by bryancd 2008-04-15 8:34 AM

2008-04-15 8:40 AM

User image

Modesto, California
I followed the race Sunday and was keeping track of your race # because the live feed was screwed up, It was upsetting to finally hear what happened to you. I hope that your health is ok! I will be pulling for you again in 2009 !
2008-04-15 8:44 AM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
I feel your sense of frustration... Especially since you are a great swimmer. Not fun.

Great report... very honest. Hang tough, bro!

I DNF'd in a HIM in 06 and came back to the same course in 07 and PR'd from 5:14 to 4:45... revenge is sweet your revenge will be sweeter. Train hard and race a lot...
2008-04-15 8:46 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

Chris...Have never met you, but like so many others on Sunday, silently followed the progress of all the BT'ers and shared similar concerns when news of your situation was shared.

Very sorry this happened to you and appreciate the candor of your RR.  Kudos to you for listening to your body and doing what needed to be done.  As you noted, continuing to fight through might've led to more dire consequences.  Most importantly, it sounds like you wrapped things up on a positive note and look forward to a good season and gaining IMAZ revenge next year, like PirateGirl did this year.

Have a great season!!

2008-04-15 8:50 AM

User image

Giver
Man, Chris...what a rough day. I dealt with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo for about 6 months last year and it was the most miserable i've ever been. If yours lasts, see an ENT doc ASAP.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona April 2008 - BS, DNF Rss Feed  

of 4