General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training with road AND mountain bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-04-29 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Training with road AND mountain bike?

I'm training for a sprint in July- not my first but it's been awhile.  I'm biking ~30-50 minutes, and 5-10 miles, and want to get to at long ride of at least 20 miles by race time.  I have a question about bike training: 

Is riding a mountain bike similar enough biomechanically to a bike that I could substitute some training rides?  We have a great path along the Erie canal but it's too gravelly for my road bike.  I'd love to do some long rides on there (no annoying cars, no death-defying truck passes, no 8 lane intersections), but I'll stick with the road if it's better for my training. 

And if I mountain bike, should I go for the distance I would have gone on the road bike, and just plan to be out longer, or go for time and not worry about distance?

Thanks!

2008-04-29 8:42 AM
in reply to: #1368759

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-04-29 9:07 AM
in reply to: #1368759

Subject: RE: Training with road AND mountain bike?
First question, what is the max size tire that will fit on your road bike? If it can handle 700X28s or even 700X 25s you should be able to handle most gravel paths on a road bike in my opinion. I use 700X25 Conti Ultra Gatorskins,which are the widest size that fit on my road/tri bike (Cervelo Team Soloist) I have ridden it on lots of gravel roads and trails without a problem. I ride it in the road bike configuration so I don't have the aerobars on or the seat at the steeper angle. With my hands on the hoods and in a relaxed riding position it works fine. It also helps improve my bike handling skills in case that helped out when I ran into some sand and gravel at a race. There was some construction on the bike course with gravel all over the place right after a turn. The bike slid around a bit but I handled it without any problem. Without experience of riding on gravel, I might have gone down. A few other people did and it ruined their day.

If you feel more comfortable on a moutain bike just go for time with the same effort and not worry about the distance. The motion is enough similiar that you will get a good workout and training benefit
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training with road AND mountain bike? Rss Feed