General Discussion Race Reports! » Lincoln National Guard Marathon & Half-Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lincoln National Guard Marathon & Half-Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lincoln, Nebraska
United States
Nebraska National Guard
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 07m 16s
Overall Rank = 1010/1170
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 38/51
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:00, ate a big bowl of cereal and had a cup of green tea. Walked the dog, packed up my race stuff and headed over to my friend's to carpool to Lincoln. Arrived in Lincoln at 6:00, ate a banana, put on sunscreen and sportslick. Decided to keep my Beer & Bagel long sleeve tee-shirt on to start and put the rest of my clothes in the sweat bag and turned it in. Lined up sort of near the back and waited for the cannon to go off.
Event warmup:

Not much, just walking around. I figure the first few miles are warmup if you're running for 5 hrs!
Run
  • 5h 07m 16s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off nice and slow and didn't worry too much about all the folks passing me, especially since most of them had on red race numbers (indicating they were doing the half-marathon). Around mile 4 I hooked up with a friendly Texan who was close to my pace and we ran together for about the next 8 miles. Turned out he was maybe a little faster than me, since my half-marathon time was a good six minutes faster than I had expected. Not sure if that hurt or helped me out later on the course. I started feeling some little aches and pains around mile 14, but those kind of came and went. I finally had to hit a port-a-potty at mile 16 (maybe hydrated a little too well!) I was doing pretty well taking in water and/or Gatorade at the aid stations and had sucked down 2 Gu packets by mile 17. I ran most of the way up the hill around mile 18, but ended up walking the last bit. Kind of ran/walked mile 19, then was determined to run #20. I ran a little past that and had to walk again. I was feeling kind of woozy and nauseas and realized I was craving something more solid. Yay for the orange sections at mile 21! I ran the whole next mile and my stomach didn't bother me for the rest of the race. 22-25 I ran/walked bit by bit. I finally decided at mile 25 that I could run in the last bit, so when I came to the finishing chutes, I was running reasonably strong. As I approached the finish, my friend Samantha cheered me on...I had no idea she was coming down from Omaha! The rest of my friends were all there as they announced my name and I crossed the finish line. My Texas buddy from the first half said that once you get past marathon #2, the rest are a lot easier to talk yourself into. Hope he's right!
What would you do differently?:

Would have been nice to have gotten my 20 mile run in training, but overall I was pretty pleased with the day. I hope to walk less in my next one.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around eating yogurt, pretzels, the chocolate that Samantha brought me and found all my pace buddies from the course to congratulate them.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe queaziness, or the need for more mental training.

Event comments:

I improved on my first marathon time by 23:38...not bad, but I think I can do better!

Last updated: 2008-01-09 12:00 AM
Running
05:07:16 | 26.2 miles | 11m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 38/51
Overall: 1010/1170
Performance: Good
Ran first 10K in 1:08:44 and the first half in 2:24:05. I clearly didn't keep that up...my last 10K was 1:21:01.
Course: Pretty flat. Couple of little inclines helped to break it up.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-04 5:12 PM

User image

Omaha, NE
Subject: Lincoln National Guard Marathon & Half-Marathon

2008-05-04 6:55 PM
in reply to: #1380832

User image

Veteran
Nebraska
Subject: RE: Lincoln National Guard Marathon & Half-Marathon
Yaaay!  Biggest congrats to you - great report!  What a beautiful day.  My skin got a bit of sun - would follow your lead next time with sunscreen. 
2008-05-04 9:50 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!! Destroyed your [and my] PR!!! That's crazy that you did that without a 20-miler. It's not an essential but I tell you what, when I finished my 20 miler it gave me a huge confidence boost going into the thing. Wow, you did great and I don't mind telling ya! A fine race indeed.
2008-05-04 10:25 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Awesome job Ali!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lincoln National Guard Marathon & Half-Marathon Rss Feed