Hopkinton, Massachusetts
United States
Max Performance
Total Time = 1h 03m 41s
Overall Rank = 4/111
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Bit of a hectic morning. The race is held in a beautiful park but parking is a bit of a challenge. There seems to be plenty of places but they are quite far away. In a futile attempt to only make one trip, Liisa and I grabbed everything to head to transition. Of course I forgot a few things so was planning on heading back when they made an announcement that someone forgot their helmet. Because I had the aero helmet, I had a spare so we made a trip to the car and got that for him. Between this trip to the car, waiting in line for transition, it was starting to get late. Quickly set-up transition and got reacy for the race start.
Event warmup:

Ran back to the car to drop of some more stuff (this was trip #3) and ran back.
Run
  • 11m 25s
  • 2 miles
  • 05m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

There was a triathlon going on the same time as the Du so our start was coordinated with the start of the first wave of the swim. By the way, some of those crazy bastards were swimming w/o wetsuits in 60 degree water!!! I was cold just watching them.

Anyway, this was my 3rd race in 4 weeks so I am getting used to starts. Right off the bat, some guy starts out in a dead sprint and we let him go as he really didn't look like a runner. A couple of guys at various points took the lead but then soon faded back. I just sat behind a couple guys and tried to relax. Finally one guy went by us and opened about 15 second gap. Turns out he would never give up the lead. By the end, there was the 1st guy and then a group of four, including me and the lead female (she was flying). I finshed the first run feeling great and looking forward to the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, great first leg.
Transition 1
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

I am not afraid to try new things so I decided I would try the shoes attached to the bike...big mistake. This transition was just a distaster from the start. I couldn't get my aero helmet on, couldn't my sunglasses on...finally started running out of transition. I jump on my bike, put my left foot on top of the shoe to start pedaling and my right shoe falls off the bike...shit. Jump off the bike, run back to get my shoe, put that one on, take my other shoe off the bike, put that one and finally get going. 30 seconds later I am finally riding and lead duathletes are long gone...great.

I think this is obvious.
Bike
  • 33m 47s
  • 12 miles
  • 21.31 mile/hr
Comments:

There is no other way to describe this ride other than that I was riding angry. I was so pissed that I screwed up transition so bad, I just hammered from that start. There was no way to tell what place I was in because we were now mixed in with the triathletes. All I know is was passing people the whole time and no one went by me. This was a much better ride than Wrentham. I just attacked from the beginning and ignored the fact that I still had to run again.

The course was a lot hillier than expected but was really nice, very little traffic and well marked. By the end I thought I had passed most of the Duathletes, other than the 3 guys I had ran into T1 with. I figured I would never see them again and I was right.

Though this was a much better race, still need to work a little on intensity. If I divide the race into quarters, I really attached the 1st two quarters, lost some intensity in the third and picked up in the fourth. Still need to get a little more focussed by I was still very satisified with this ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Good T2...didn't know over the bike rack :)
Run
  • 17m 18s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 05m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

First off, there is no way this is a 5k. I had a good run but not this good and this was not a flat course. There were 2 decent hills on the thing.

The second run started out up a hill and coming off a very hard bike, I decided to start slow and see how I felt. I couldn't believe how good I felt. Breathing was good, no cramping and I just felt like I was cruising. I didn't wear a watch so I didn't have any splits but I wouldn't be suprised if my last mile was my fastest. Unlike Wrentham were I died the lst half mile in a 2 mile final run, I felt strong right through the finish and had the 3rd fastest run split.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and walked around with the wife.

Event comments:

Definately my best race of the season. Other than the T1 fiasco, had a great race. I think racing a lot has made a huge difference.

Last updated: 2008-05-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:11:25 | 02 miles | 05m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 4/111
Performance: Good
Course: Little hilly but not bad
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 00:40
Overall: Bad
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:33:47 | 12 miles | 21.31 mile/hr
Overall: 5/111
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Pretty hilly
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:17:18 | 03.1 miles | 05m 35s  min/mile
Overall: 3/111
Performance:
Course: Some hills, definately not flat.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-05-12 7:11 AM

Expert
Subject: New England Season Opener

2008-05-12 7:16 AM
in reply to: #1395819

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: New England Season Opener

Great Job!

It is nice to see more and more du options at races. Swimming sans wetsuit in 60 degree water not so fun.

Great paces all around and riding angry seems to agree with you.

Congrats on hardware..dang you are fast 

2008-05-12 8:01 AM

Uxbridge
Congrats on a great race. I did the tri and I agree that there is no way that the run was a 5 K.
X2 you are really fast
2008-05-12 9:00 AM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
Great job Mark! I bet with a little practice you could master the shoes-on-bike T1. Now don't let all these podium finishes go to your head . Enjoy your vacation!
2008-05-12 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Good job.  I was in the water with a wetsuit and it was still cold.  They made an annoucement that it was 55 degrees.  My Garmin said the run was 2.75ish.  No way a 3k.
2008-05-12 11:52 AM

User image

Master
CT
awesome job Mark! Anger makes me faster too!

2008-05-12 11:54 AM

User image

Expert
Welcome to Super Mario World
Fast. Excellent.
2008-05-12 12:19 PM

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT
Now don't starting posting this 5:35/pace crap, kick my on the bike but let's leave it at that shall we?  Nice race!
2008-05-14 10:14 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut
Dang Mark, I keep thinking you just can't get any faster... and yet you do.
2008-05-15 7:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
Nice race!  I did the Tri, and I was cold in my wetsut, so I don't know how a few wacko's did it without wetsuits, but oh, well!  Anyway, I contacted the Race Directors and he said it the course was changed a few days before and he had it at the same distance of the rest of us.  My only question is "why wasn't this announced?"  So, all the PR's people think is a little crazy, but felt good to at least think I was doing well!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New England Season Opener Rss Feed