General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plans for Multisport Athletes vs Triathlete Magazine's Essential Week-by-Week Training Gui Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-12 11:33 AM

Subject: Training Plans for Multisport Athletes vs Triathlete Magazine's Essential Week-by-Week Training Gui

Does anyone have any thoughts on either book? I am a 3 season triathlon "veteran" looking for a little more guidance, especially with determining appropriate volume of each discipline, specific cycling workouts (vs just cranking out miles), and balancing hard days and recovery days.

I've read the Triathlete's Training Bible (Joel Friel) and while I thought it was very informative, it was a little too much for me with the periods, goal setting, etc.

2008-05-12 11:43 AM
in reply to: #1396592

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Training Plans for Multisport Athletes vs Triathlete Magazine's Essential Week-by-Week Training

I have the week-by-week.

I liked it and it served me well for the last season and a half.

I moved to something else becuase I did find it a little repetitive and got boring.  Just wanted a change.  It's worth the 20-30 bucks IMO just becuase it gives a lot to choose from.

I also have the training bible, but I never got into that book or followed it AT ALL....

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-05-12 11:44 AM
2008-05-12 1:55 PM
in reply to: #1396640

Subject: RE: Training Plans for Multisport Athletes vs Triathlete Magazine's Essential Week-by-Week Training
What plan did you move on to? Did you hire a coach or do an online plan?
2008-05-12 2:23 PM
in reply to: #1397115

User image

Sensei
Sin City

jdevito20 - 2008-05-12 11:55 AM What plan did you move on to? Did you hire a coach or do an online plan?

I started started a plan on BT.  I'm still bouncing back between the Beginner IM plan and the Intermediate IM plan.

The reasons I wanted to make the change is purely subjective.

• The week by week (as I mentioned) seemed to be pretty repetitive with workouts.  Both plans have you doing the same things on the same days (ie swim and bike on tuesdays) but the BT plan has all kinds of different swim workouts for that Tuesday and the week by week seemed to be the SAME THING over and over (ie 6x100 base and 7x100 sprints)
  • The BT plans worked better for MY schedule.  It broke things down into workouts that worked for me (ie, Fridays off instead of Mondays.)  I was able to drop the plan with minimal alterations.
  • The BT plan also incorporated strength training - something I wanted to start doing.  The week-by-week plan suggested doing S.T. but didn't include it in the actual plan.
  • Just wanted a change after 18 months!
  • I do all my logging in on BT, so it seemed like a good mesh.
  • The BT plans have heart rate based plans as well as RPE plans.  That's how I like to train.  The week by week, I had to convert they RPE/pace requirements to my HR zones.  Not that much extra work, but extra non the less.

I think both are great resources (as well as others).  Good luck with your decision.

I may move to a coach next season after I start seeing fewer gains - but for now, I feel like I'm pretty bright, know my body, and do enough research for positive gains. 

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-05-12 2:24 PM
2008-05-12 4:57 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
I have the Training Plans for Multisport Athletes book and started with the 27 week plan to a HIM. At 10 weeks into the program, I developed knee issues. *It was at this point that I realized that the plan did not have any days off for the legs. You are either running, lifting, or biking each day of the week. I took 2 weeks off to heal, and then switched to the 13 week plan to a HIM. So far I like this one. It has a complete rest day each week and I don't work as hard. I am 48 and the layout or the workouts on the 27 week plan were too aggressive for me.

I want to do a full IM in 2009, so I will be looking for a good plan for that event or a coach that I can afford!

*Part of my problem could have been that I pushed too hard on the workouts for the 27 week plan. I was feeling so good, that I went into zones 3 and 4 when I should have been in zone 2.

2008-05-12 5:05 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
akidoman, Does the BT plan allow for days off and does it break the workouts enough so your not working legs everyday?

I would consider buying the IM plan but would like to look at it first. Do you know if I can do that?

Thanks. Oh, and I like some of your pics!

2008-05-12 5:15 PM
in reply to: #1397680

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Gregkl - 2008-05-12 3:05 PM akidoman, Does the BT plan allow for days off and does it break the workouts enough so your not working legs everyday? I would consider buying the IM plan but would like to look at it first. Do you know if I can do that? Thanks. Oh, and I like some of your pics!

Yes, that's the nature of the plan.  One day of rest and they mix s/b/r to let one body part recover as you work another.

There are free plans (even an IM plan) but it is very limited.  It only gives you minutes.  No details about workouts, intensity levels, if you should do intervals or not....  You can see all of that one.

The others let you peak at the first two weeks to give you an idea how they lay it out and an overall calandar of the hours per week and the overall workout calandar.  Better to just play with it and do some exploring.

I'm shooting from memory, but go to PROGRAMS (at the top of the page) and under the banner, there is a pull-down to pick types of plans.  select Triathlon, which then opens another choice for lenth - hit Ironman.  Select silver or gold (they are the same) and it will list all the plans to choose from.  Hit all the buttons and see what they show.  The only one that won't work is the (complete plan view) unless it's a free plan.

They are all customizable as well.

BTW - can't just buy one plan.  Have to become a member and get all of them.  The silver give you access to all the plans, but doesn not give you user support like the gold membership does.

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-05-12 5:17 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plans for Multisport Athletes vs Triathlete Magazine's Essential Week-by-Week Training Gui Rss Feed