General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buying my first triathlon Bike - Cervelo? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-05 5:30 PM

New user

Clarksville, MD
Subject: Buying my first triathlon Bike - Cervelo?
I am going to buy my first triathlon bike and wanted to get opinions. I only plan to use it for triathlons (olympic and sprint) and training. I know from reading some of the previous threads that a lot of it comes down to personal preference, but I wanted to get your opinion anyway.

I'm leaning towards one of two bikes that I plan to road test sometime in the near future. They are the Cervelo P3 (2005, 10 speed, ultegra gear, aluminum frame, etc.) and the Cannondale - Ironman 2000 (similar make-up to the Cervelo). They are similarly priced. I know there has been a fair amount of discussion on Felt as well and it seems the S22 is the closest in price (a bit less expensive).

Any opinions?

Thanks.

Steve

2005-01-05 6:09 PM
in reply to: #99335

User image

Elite
San Diego
Subject: RE: Buying my first triathlon Bike - Cervelo?
I have a Cervelo One and I just got the P3. I love both bikes, well the P3 a little more I can't really comment on the Cannondale, I remember when I was first looking at bikes I thought to myself that it looks like a heavy bike, but I have no idea what it weighs. So that was my unscientific approach to picking my first bike, plus they had a Cervelo in my size
My P3 has Dura Ace 10, are you sure yours has Ultegra and if so how much will it cost?
2005-01-05 6:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
I purchased a Cervelo P3 a few months ago. I have only had it on the trainer because of the weather outside. All3Sports has a sale on the P3, $2800 (normally $3600), Dura Ace components, Velomax wheels, ..... If one was to buy just the P3 frame it would be $2000. I am happy with it but have not had enough time on it to tell you one way or another.

Have you checked out the Cervelo site: http://www.cervelo.com/index2.html#

I wondered after I bought it whether the P2K with upgraded wheels would be faster?

Good Luck,

Randy
2005-01-05 9:20 PM

New user

Clarksville, MD
"My P3 has Dura Ace 10, are you sure yours has Ultegra and if so how much will it cost?"

The 2005 P3 comes standard with ultegra for $2,800. I have debated whether or not it would be worthwhile to upgrade to Dura Ace. My understanding is the only difference is the weight with Dura Ace (a little lighter material) and that Ultegra might be a little more durable over the long-term since they are a little sturider material, but I could be swayed.

As far as the sale at Allsports, I noticed the deal and it sounded good. My only concern was buying something that would need to be assembled and I'm not exactly sure what size bike I need. The main difference seemed to be the Dura Ace components and different wheels. Based on my comment above, I'm not sure the Dura Ace is enough of a difference for me to miss the customer support (and bike testing) I will get from my local tri-bike store. I don't know enough about the wheel difference between the Allsport special and the stock bike to understand the value of the upgrade. Did you do a detailed comparison of the Allsport bike compared to the 2005 Cervelo stock bike? There appeared to be a few other components that were slightly different, but again I don't know how much of a difference they make.
2005-01-05 9:35 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Make sure you ride them all!  I just got the 2005 Cannondale and LOVE it!!
2005-01-05 10:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
I just purchased the Cervelo P3-SL. I LOVE IT. It has the Dura Ace components. I was torn between the P3 and the P3-SL and didn't know if the extra cash was worth the Dura Ace components, but oh am I soooo glad I went with the SL. The components are silky smooth and it just looks bad a$$, not to mention it is fast.

I test rode the P3 first and knew it was the bike for me. I am by no means a bike expert, but this is a sweet ride. I negotiated the price down, so make sure you do the same were ever you buy it.

(P3SL.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
P3SL.jpg (71KB - 51 downloads)

2005-01-05 10:28 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Why do I even look? What a gorgeous looking bike. I have the P2K and love it, and have no plans (did you get that - I have no plans at this time) to upgrade. Except I'm pretty sure I need Zipp 909s. Or maybe the new 999s for a mere $2045!
2005-01-05 10:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
2005-01-05 10:41 PM
in reply to: #99455

User image

Elite
San Diego
You really might want to try and talk your LBS down on the P3 if it comes with Ultegra. I understand your concerns about weight but my LBS offered the P3 with Ultegra for $2200. If you are going to pay $2800 for a P3, you might as well get the best components available. You could get sized from your LBS then order it online. I think most shops charge like $150 to put it together and fit you. IMHO it would be worth it
My .02
Tom
2005-01-05 10:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oregon
The assembly of the P3 from All3sports is minimal. You have to:

1. Pump up the tires and put the front wheel on the frame. (I believe the rear wheel was already on the frame.)

2. Attach the aerobars

3. Stick the seat post on the bike frame.

4. Attach the brakes to the frame.

I think that is it. Pretty minimal.

If you want someone to actually set the seat height and so forth then this may not be for you. There is alot of info about bike fit out there. I have also heard of bad stories about bike shops screwing up the fit. I always believe in learning as much as I can so I can make a logical decision myself. Most things that seem to mysteries, are not once I did a little studying.

My bike came with the Velomax Circuit wheels. I understand they are a very good entry level racing/training wheel.

Good luck,
Randy
2005-01-06 5:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I have a 04 P3 with Dura Ace and love it. Price actually dropped right after I bought the bike from my shop and without my asking the owner called me and told me stop by. When I got there he said he couldn't give me $$$ back but did give me store credit for the difference.

2005-01-06 10:13 AM
in reply to: #99460

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

I got a Dual from all3sports.com and, like Blacktoe described, was riding it 30 minutes out of the box. Didn't have to attach the aerobars, just the armrest pads, and just the front brakes. No more work than if I was packing it to travel.

By the way, they did "screw up the fit," sent me a smaller size despite my protests. It turned out to be too small as I thought, I returned it and got a new one (correct size) in two days. They paid for all of the shipping (three times).

If you're going to buy one online, definitely look at these guys.

2005-01-06 1:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
My P3-SL was purchased at my LBS for less than what all3sports.com sells on their website. And that is after taxes. Your LBS should provide you with a bike fit, which should include swapping out the stem if needed. Also they should be accomidating in changing out saddles as well. I am not sure how all3sports.com handles this. Another thing, shops in my area provide free maintenance for 6 months on bikes. At least give your LBS a shot at your business and let them know what you can buy the bike for online and see if they can sweeten the deal. They worst they can say is No.
2005-01-06 1:44 PM

User image

Regular
King George, VA
awww, steve, what's wrong with the mountain bike again? Buy cheap, and when you upgrade, give me (your favorite brother-in-law that is also tri'ing) your old components.

Whatever you get, you are going to fly!! Get the most comfortable - I've read some LBS's give you a hour ride or so, much better to assess than 10 minutes.

jlk
2005-01-09 2:19 PM

New user

Subject: RE: Cervelo all the way!!
Use to have a P2K and loved it!!! (until a car knocked me off it and "modified" the frame and wheels!)

It was the ultimate bike and I would love to have another. The ride was super smooth and the transfer to speed is awesome. Still have the frame and fork. ;-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buying my first triathlon Bike - Cervelo? Rss Feed