General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finished first Oly -- thanks! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-19 9:40 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Finished first Oly -- thanks!
I just wanted to say thanks to all on this site who have offered advice/encouragement.

Why would an overweight middle-aged guy decide to do a tri, knowing he'll be BOTBOP? Well, like many others I did it to help motivate me to exercise, and for the pleasure of completing a goal. I've never been athletic. I was overweight as a kid and was the classic last one picked for any sporting event. As an adult I always maintained some type of exercise, but also battled weight. About 3 years ago I started riding bikes more seriously and did the MS 150. I was surprised by how good it felt to set a goal and complete it. Next was a century, then a "challenge" century (3 State, 3 Mountain). Last summer I was looking for a new goal and a friend suggested I think about doing a tri relay. As I looked into it, I decided to try for the whole thing instead of a relay.

That's where this site comes in. I knew some about biking, but nothing about tri. I found this site and not only got all the info I could want (and more, e.g. the urine in the shoe thread), but also much inspiration, humor and encouragement.

I didn't have any local tri-buddies, but this site kept me going.

I completed my first sprint tri in March, and just this Sun finished my first Oly (race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... )

I really appreciate all the help I've received on this site. I wasn't going to do a post about my first tri, because it seemed a little self-congratulatory, but I remember reading similar threads when I was starting out, and how they encouraged me.

So for all you out there who are thinking about it -- go for it -- if I can do it, so can you! And this site will get you there!

2008-05-20 5:12 PM
in reply to: #1412578

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Finished first Oly -- thanks!
Congrats and good motivation for others.
2008-05-20 5:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Auckland, New Zealand
Congratulations on finishing you first Oly!  It's good that you posted this as it'll help encourage others.  Celebrating success is a major part of Tri-ing :-)
2008-05-20 6:13 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Thanks for sharing!  Oly distance is nothing to sneeze at, IMHO (having done my 1st last summer

. I was overweight as a kid and was the classic last one picked for any sporting event. 

You should read this:  http://bikesportmichigan.com/editorials/0000104.shtml

I found it quite moving.

Good on ya for your accomplishment!!!

2008-05-20 6:33 PM
in reply to: #1414803

User image

Regular
travljini - 2008-05-20 6:13 PM

You should read this:  http://bikesportmichigan.com/editorials/0000104.shtml

I found it quite moving.

Thanks for the link -- what a great story!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finished first Oly -- thanks! Rss Feed