General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Quick BT Training Plan Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-05-28 9:09 AM

Subject: Quick BT Training Plan Question

I am going to start a basic 12-week Olympic plan (silver level) on the 15th, to gear up for my first Oly in September. It has a strength training component to it, about 2.5 hours per week. This is NOT a "do I strength train or not" thread - let's assume, for the sake of argument, that the answer is NO to strength training. Those of you who use the plans and skip the strength training, what, if anything, do you do in its place? Get some extra rest, take a longer ride, etc? Just curious to see what others do - thanks!

2008-05-28 9:13 AM
in reply to: #1428120

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Quick BT Training Plan Question
If you don't want to lift and gain strength that way, you could work on your core. There are plenty of exercises you can do to work on the core. A strong core will help keep your running form pretty when you get tired and give you some definition on your stomach muscles.

I started a core program about two months ago and have seen considerable results. I am up to ~ 2500 situps a week.

Best of luck training!

Edited by PSUguru 2008-05-28 9:14 AM
2008-05-28 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-28 10:09 AM

I am going to start a basic 12-week Olympic plan (silver level) on the 15th, to gear up for my first Oly in September. It has a strength training component to it, about 2.5 hours per week. This is NOT a "do I strength train or not" thread - let's assume, for the sake of argument, that the answer is NO to strength training. Those of you who use the plans and skip the strength training, what, if anything, do you do in its place? Get some extra rest, take a longer ride, etc? Just curious to see what others do - thanks!

Ride more.
2008-05-28 9:42 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

I am wrapping up that plan right now.  When it first started out, I was doing an hour long body pump class for my strength twice a week.  As it progressed, and my three sports training sessions increased in volume and intensity, I found I needed that time in the morning to sleep and recover.  I believe the plan even says that if you need to drop a workout, drop the strength first.  In it's place I would ride a little longer.  Basically do the plan's ride, then tack on 10-20 more miles.  I did this because I wanted to do a century (and successfully did one).  If you need some swim work, get some paddles and add 500 yards here and there, or do some extra kick drills.  Maybe even... dare I say... the dreaded butterfly.  It's a fantastic core workout that counts as time in the pool.  I would also try to throw in an extra 5k here and there if my legs felt fresh and it wasn't a high volume run week.  Just something local.  $20 to a local church or charity, free t-shirt, and three miles added volume to the run total.

I actually can't remember the last time I did a strength session outside of basic core work.  The swim/bike/run sessions can get pretty intense if you do them the way they were intended, and you will probably find that recovery will become a bigger and bigger issue.

Edited by sesh 2008-05-28 9:45 AM
2008-05-28 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
Michiana
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-28 10:09 AM

Ride more is good.  Also, if hills or riding into the wind; ergo bike power is a limiter, try some hill repeats on the bike.  Running hills will help with run strength.  Core exercises (crunches, obliques, planks, supermans, stretching) are a great alternative as well.

2008-05-28 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC
The first time I ran through a plan, I used the strength time for family time.  This time my wife has an easier schedule, so I'm going to do the strength sessions. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Quick BT Training Plan Question Rss Feed