General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shameless Promotion of a Good Cause Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-11 4:52 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: Shameless Promotion of a Good Cause

If you have ever dreamed of doing a marathon, half-marathon, cycling century, or Olympic Triathlon, but have never had the coaching or support necessary to achieve that goal, check out Team In Training. Your local chapter is probably recruiting now for events in the late spring, including the R'n'R Marathon in San Diego and America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride in Lake Tahoe.

I just returned from R'n'R Arizona, my 15th TNT event, and continued to be amazed and inspired by the organization and the courage of its participants. My wife and I joined 1,500 other purple-clad participants who collectively raised about $3.25 million for the fight against blood-related cancers.

If you'd like more information, PM me, or go to www.teamintraining.org .

2005-01-11 6:32 PM
in reply to: #102157

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Shameless Promotion of a Good Cause

Hey bear,

Can you describe the coaching support that Team In Training provides specific to tri's?  I'm wondering from an interaction and training plan standpoint.  Any comparisons in terms of quality to any other training plans out there?

Jeff

2005-01-11 6:36 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

Bear,

As you know, I've been thinking about this. My problem at the moment is that I may or may not be moving before this summer. Do you have to commit to one event? Should I just wait till next year?

2005-01-11 8:42 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Jeff,

I honestly cannot tell you anything about the triathlon training as our chapter does not (yet) do them. Every chapter is different, and every coach is going to be different in his methodology and experience. The one constant is the passion that each one brings to the cause and to the participants. I'd strongly advise you to attend one of the information meetings and speak to the tri coach about specifics. Or at least call your local chapter and have them put you in touch with the coach.

Kim,

Again, each chapter is different, but generally you do have some flexibility. Certainly if a life-changing event like a cross-country relocation occurs, the Society should be able to transfer you to another chapter and/or defer you to another event. Your local chapter should be able to give you specifics.

Anyone with even a remote interest should try to make one of these information meetings that are being held at this time. The meetings are free, and carry no obligation whatsoever. Of course, the coaches and staff will try to brainwash you into joining the cult, but drinking the purple kool-aid is strictly voluntary.

2005-01-11 8:44 PM
in reply to: #102206

User image

Veteran

Hi,

I was a TNT head coach in '02, coaching athletes on the east side of LA.

The quality of the coaching, training program, etc is highly dependent on the committment and quality of the coaches. Rather than write the training plans for my group I used the one from the west side coaches. It was VERY, very basic but appropriate for the level of endurance education of these athletes. I was required to run two workouts per week, a weekday swim and a weekend bike or brick workout (Saturdays, about 2 hrs). I supplemented these sessions with informal discussions after the swim session and short 30-45' clinics before or after the Saturday session. I viewed TNT as an opportunity to learn the trade, an apprenticeship, so to speak. The experience forced me to develop several presentations and "raps" that I still use in all manner of camps and clinics. It also forced me to take my competitive swimmer skills and knowledge and bring them down to the can't-swim-across-the-pool level. Very challenging and rewarding.

If you're an athlete looking for coaching help and training in a team atmosphere, TNT is "a" option. However, that experience is highly dependent on the quality of the coaches and whether or not your group has athletes similar to you. You could find yourself riding alone most of the time, for example. You are also required to raise a significant amount of money. My recommendation is to do the TNT thing because you are committed to the cause and want to raise money. Any coaching or training benefits you get are then a bonus. However, the experience of training or racing for a cause are extremely powerful and rewarding. My mom died of breast cancer in '93 and this summer for IMWI I raised $11k for City of Hope through the Janus Charity Challenge. I train alone alot and racing for my mom made the isolation much easier to handle. It also gave me something to focus on and hold on to when my run started to fall apart. And crossing the finish line was better than any other. Better than Kona  

For 2005 my coaches and I are applying the TNT model to local races: assembling a small team of 15-20 athletes and training them as a group to a goal race. I think it will be a fun service and an excellent opportunity for my coaches to develop their own presentation materials and styles. In fact, if you have aspirations of becoming a tri coach, I would recommend you cut your teeth first as a TNT coach or put something together like what I'm doing. In the end, coaching is ultimately about teaching. If you think you know something, try teaching it to 20 people sitting in a circle who have no idea what you're talking about

Cheers,

2005-01-11 8:59 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
It sounds extremely rewarding. A Chicken Soup for the Soul....while still helping many others both directly and indirectly. Thanks for the insite. I'll check out the Team in Training website.

2005-01-11 9:06 PM
in reply to: #102248

User image

Veteran
Yeah, it was pretty cool. At the time I was training to qualify for Kona at IMWI and I was pretty wound up about my training, so I was a bit of a freak to these people. But then I had to take the IM hat off and explain cadence, how to shift, running form, transitions, rules of the sport, nutrition, stretching, strength training, core exercise, etc. I was lucky enough to the have LAST finisher at the LA Tri that year and she crossed the finish line crying and thanking me. Really puts it into perspective.
2005-01-11 9:38 PM
in reply to: #102250

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Yeah, if you want to feel appreciated, become a TNT coach, but be prepared to work your butt heart off. Running in the last mile yesterday, I saw at least a dozen TNT coaches who were headed back out on the course to run their participants in. Most had been at it 5 1/2 hours already, and most would be at it another two hours before they could quit, but every one of them had a smile and word of encouragement for me, and didn't mind going out of their way to catch a high-five.
2005-01-12 7:36 AM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl

Bear,

Congrats on another marathon!  Great job!  And good on you for the plug for TEAM.

To everyone else, if you have any questions please take Bear up on his offer to answer any questions or PM me as well.  I have been doing Team in Training events for about 4 years now and have been added on as an assistant run coach for the New Orleans Chapter for about six months now.  I would recommend this experience to anyone.  Go to the website or go to one of  your local area info meetings.  It won't cost you a thing and then you can meet the coaches and ask them any questions you may have.  Again, feel free to ask me any questions you may have. 

2005-01-12 8:15 AM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
You can't beat the TNT for inspiration and support from the team, coaches and admin staff of the Leukemia Society. From what I am reading here, the quality of coaching varies quite a bit. The best thing to do is go to the meetings, talk with the experienced athletes who have been there a while and review your goals with the coaches. Some of our team have been participating for years.

Good luck.

http://www.active.com/donations/fundraise_public.cfm?key=tntpbROpki...
2005-01-12 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
I'm getting ready to do my first tri with my local TnT chapter and I am very excited about it. I have no problems asking people to donate money for a good cause and had some success doing it on my own (shooting from the hip so to speak) with the one race that I did last year. I figured if you want to learn how to raise funds, go with the pros, right? Our chapter has our spring kick-off this weekend, but in the month since I sent in my registration fee, I've already had a bunch of good emails with my coach. If you have any questions, go to the TnT website and get the contact info for your local chapter and ask them all the questions you can muster - then, sign up to be part of the team.

-Frank

2005-01-12 12:12 PM
in reply to: #102242

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
All right, Bear, there's a meeting a week from today and I'll be there. :-)
2005-01-12 12:25 PM
in reply to: #102478

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Go KIM!

Let me know how it goes and if you have any additional questions.

2005-01-12 1:07 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Bear how long have you been doing TNT? Isn't 1 year the limit?
2005-01-12 2:38 PM
in reply to: #102519

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Why would a charity limit the number of times/years someone can fundraise? Many of our participants stay with us for several years, I just did R'n'R Az with a lady who did her first one in 1998, I think. 

To answer your question,  I started in July 2000 training/fundraising for Disney 2001, so I've been doing this for 4-1/2 years. Did three more marathons (two TNT as a mentor) in 2001, ended up with plantar fasciitis so I switched to cycling for June 2002. Liked it so much I sat through coach's certification, as we were turning away cyclists in SW Louisiana for lack of a coach. I've coached cyclists for five (semi-annual) seasons while still participating in and fundraising for the marathons, fifteen events in all by my count.

2005-01-12 10:42 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

I've been with TNT for 3 years, and I love it!!!!!  I've done 3 tris and a century.  I've been seriously thinking about doing a marathon with them.  It would be my first one in over 20 years.  Probably won't be this year.  I'm doing Saint A's in April, and El Tour de Tucson in November.

We have awesome coaches here, and I've been amazed at how well some of our newbies have done.

Great cause, and you'd be amazed at how generous people are when asking for donations.

2005-01-14 12:53 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: Shameless Bump

Had a local information meeting last night, nine people showed up and eight of those signed up on the spot. THREE OF THEM WERE CYCLISTS! Great start.

Love the start of a new season. Despite the trepidation, everyone is full of hope and enthusiasm. Look out Tahoe, here we come.

Again, folks, the website is www.teamintraining.org . Operators are standing by.

2005-01-14 11:29 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Subject: Another bump, and a shameless plug for donations :-)

And if you don't want to do an event with Team in Training, you can help me out by making a contribution towards my Saint Anthony's efforts.

http://www.active.com/donate/tntwhv/NYtrigal

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shameless Promotion of a Good Cause Rss Feed