General Discussion Triathlon Talk » mixing in rest days and weight training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-04 11:58 AM

Subject: mixing in rest days and weight training

How does everyone do it? I haven't been able to get real consistent on rest days.  Some mornings my alarm goes off @ 5:15  and my body just tells me: working out is not an option today.  If I feel the same way in the afternoon, I take a rest day.  I've been limiting myself to one rest day per week.  Sometimes I lift on a rest day so it isn't really a rest day.  Thoughts?

I am a firm believer in a strong, consistent weight training routine for injury prevention and overall performance enhancement on race day.  I tend to do 3 sessions a week but am worried I am not providing adequate time for muscles to rebuild.  Right now, I lift on swimming days usually but the next day I am doing my running/biking workouts.  Is the weight training wasted because I am not allowing the muscles to rebuild? Thoughts?

None of this was an issue until I really started putting in the hours/miles.  I've got the IMKY in less than three months!

2008-06-04 1:59 PM
in reply to: #1444696

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: mixing in rest days and weight training
I've read some suggestions about going down to 1 or 2 "maintenence" sessions a week during peak Tri training hours.
2008-06-04 2:10 PM
in reply to: #1445132

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
My program calls for a rest day every Monday, which just so happens to be the day I do all of my weight training. So, in essence, I don't have a rest day, but I get a repreive from the R/B/S for a day.
2008-06-04 2:25 PM
in reply to: #1444696

User image

Expert
St. Louis

your body needs rest. that's when it gets faster.  i think you answered your own question.

"Sometimes I lift on a rest day so it isn't really a rest day." 

if taxing your muscles and breaking down muscle fibers is good recovery, then i'm in deep trouble!

~B

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » mixing in rest days and weight training Rss Feed