General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cures for depression from bike wipe this weekend Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-17 6:13 PM

User image

Shorewood
Subject: cures for depression from bike wipe this weekend
Had my first bike wipe this weekend and got some nice Road rashes on my forearm, shoulder, knuckles and rear. It's 3 days later and they still hurt like a $%^#. I think I've got some kind of depression funk going and can't seem to get out of it. I've got back on the bike and have run a few times since but I'm really slow on the runs and I just don't seem really motivated. I'm thinking maybe a few more days and I can get back in the pool. Just wanted to see if anyone else has gone through this after a bike wipe and any suggestions out there.

2008-06-17 6:25 PM
in reply to: #1472867

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
Subject: RE: cures for depression from bike wipe this weekend

I'm sure the pain of the crash and roadrash took some wind out of your sails.  Use this time to rest up or do some other things you've been neglecting.

My worst crash was with a buddy of mine, we both went down on some train tracks and got pretty skinned up.  For the next few weeks we would check out each others wounds and go "ewwww that's nasty."  Then you can wear your scars like a tattoo.  Congratulations on your crash.  Now, your non-biking friends will say "what happened?!" and you can make up any story you want.

2008-06-17 10:15 PM

User image

Shorewood

I can't deny that it has been a little fun showing off the war wounds. I do get a lot of eews and ouches. And it has a certain toughness to it. (Although my wife is getting a little sick of the story.) Thanks for the advice. Always appreciated.

2008-06-17 10:33 PM

User image

Regular
Living in Singapore...
Haven't been in a crash myself (yet), but I would think if you need to up your motivation try trainingwith others to help distract you from the discomfort and also lighten the mood.
2008-06-17 10:35 PM

User image

Champion
MA

It takes awhile to feel safe riding again or atleast it did for me...I crashed pretty badly though.

I rode the trainer for a week then would go with my daughter which meant going slow and short. It probably took me a month to feel back to my comfortable self on my bike.

The other thing someone told me is that often a crash has lingering little effects that you just feel off and it can last awhile..it can be a big trauma to your body.

2008-06-17 11:00 PM

User image

Longmont, Colorado
I just recently had my first run in with the pavement on my bike. Was having one of those days where I was doing real well and felt strong, then made a stoooopid turn way to fast. Pedal hit the ground and I went flying. Banged up the new bike and myself. I got up pretty pissed and disappointed.

Like they say, it's not a matter of if you will ever crash but when. I did get into a funk afterwards as well. The way I dealt with it was by telling myself that the pain is progress. Similar to your first 1000 yd swim or your first 50 mile bike ride, what ever it may be this is just a part of all that hard work and training to reach your goal. You've crashed, now you can say you've been there and experienced road rash. Now you look forward to healing and getting back in that saddle with a better understanding of what it takes to be a triathlete and a strong sense of pride that you are still at it!

Don't let it get you down, rather allow it to build you up. Imagine how it will feel when you run through the finish line! Kick @ss man!

2008-06-18 10:57 PM

User image

Shorewood
Thanks for all the great replies here. It's truly appreciated. I'm going to hit it hard tomorrow and hopefully get over the hump.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cures for depression from bike wipe this weekend Rss Feed