General Discussion Race Reports! » Fifth Third Bank Firecracker Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Fifth Third Bank Firecracker Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Benton Harbor, Michigan
United States
Fifth Third Bank Firecracker Triathlon
70sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 21s
Overall Rank = 350/387
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 20/23
Pre-race routine:

I don't like to pack and get ready too early the day before a race, because I'll be a bundle of nervous energy as soon as I finish - fortunately, this time I started it a bit earlier, when I checked in to the race website at 3:30 on Saturday to see if there was anything special I'd need to know. And there was - no race day registration. I had until 6 to get to Benton Harbor and sign up, so I hopped in the car and dashed up there. Annoying as this was, it helped me out this morning because I knew exactly where I was going. I tried to go to bed around 9, but was unable to really fall asleep until at least 12:30, waking up again at 3 and at 5:15, when I just got out of bed. Was in the car and on my way before 6, so I had plenty of time to set up before the transition area got too crowded.
Event warmup:

I had my heating pad on during the drive up, so my IT band was loose when I started to stretch. Stretched for five minutes or so, then about a third of a mile jog. I had wanted to get into the lake and swim a bit, but the water was cold and it was a little breezy, so I was afraid I'd end up standing shivering on the beach before the start. I ended up going in right before my wave started for just enough time to get acclimated to the temperature (which was a good idea).
Swim
  • 06m 30s
  • 402 meters
  • 01m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started at the front with some trepidation, as I don't feel like I'm in good shape in any discipline. This turned out to be a good plan, as I was pretty speedy (perhaps due to the five swim workouts I've logged since coming to ND - I think this is the first tri I've done where I've had any recent swim training). I just swam. I didn't feel like I was going particularly fast, until the last 100 meters or so where I decided to push it. I was kinda nauseous when I got to my feet at the finish, but I attributed it to just being out of shape. I was shocked when I saw my swim time - a tri PR. Apparently the nausea was due to swimming really fast.
What would you do differently?:

I think I swam a great race, although I certainly didn't realize it at the time. I was sighting the buoys better than usual. Maybe I could have kicked in the speed a little sooner, but that would have made the nausea worse at the end. I probably should have backed it off a bit, if anything, because I'm not in great condition and the swim had me woozy for at least ten minutes into the bike.
Transition 1
  • 05m 7s
Comments:

There was a 1/4 mile or so dash up the beach (uphill through sand) and down a short road to the transition area. I walked the beach section, because I was feeling pretty queasy and didn't want to push it just for the transition. The rest of my transition was a bit shaky. I didn't have it well planned out and could tell that I was taking too much time. Part of the problem was being away from home and not having all the equipment I could have wanted (like an extra towel).

Have a better plan of what order I am doing things in. And have something to use to wipe the sand off my feet.
Bike
  • 50m 16s
  • 12 miles
  • 14.32 mile/hr
Comments:

It took me a long time to really recover from that swim. And, to make it worse, there was a pretty nice grade hill within the first mile of the bike course. I was really heaving at that point, and wasn't able to set a decent pace again for a few minutes. When I got into my rhythm I felt it was ok - I haven't really been training on my bike, but it still felt comfortable. I was a bit confused by the end. The website and race literature claim that it was a 12 mile bike course, but there was a ten mile mark just before we turned into the parking lot, and my bike computer said just over 11 miles. I'm not sure what the real distance was.

I really need, at the very least, cages for my pedals. I get slaughtered by anything resembling a hill and I'm starting to think that cages could really help that. At least until I get a real road bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

I think it went pretty well. I couldn't find my headband for a minute, which definitely slowed me down. Otherwise, it was a nice quick transition.

Put the headband in a more obvious place and take a second swig of gatorade. I didn't hydrate enough on the bike and really needed it at the beginning of the run.
Run
  • 29m 37s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't push the run too much. As I keep saying, I'm not in great shape and coming off an injury, so I didn't want to push it too far. I just went with what my body was comfortable with. I was surprised that my first mile split was 9:28 - I had thought I was running slower. I must have slowed it down toward the middle, considering my time. I picked it up to pass one last lady at the end and wanted to sprint to the finish, but the sand made it difficult. I was just trying not to fall down. After the sand, I really started to run, but got faked out by the first timing pad (I'm still not sure what it was for). My chip beeped when I ran across it, so I started to slow down, but there was a big sign saying "run finish" a little further, so I kinda jogged into that (which turned out to be the actual finish).

I think the run was fine for where I am right now. With some real training, of course, it will be faster, but for right now, I'm just happy that my IT band seems to be holding up well.
Post race
Warm down:

I just walked around and took pictures of the course to show off when I go home. Since I was there by myself, it was a bit anticlimactic. I ate two little slices of pizza and downed two bottles of G2 before the ride home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It's been ten months since my last race, my training has been sporatic at best, and I've been working through an IT band injury. I also need a new bike (or at least more efficient pedals).

Event comments:

I wasn't expecting anything great from this. I thought it would be fun to try a race when I was away this summer, and hopefully it will help jump-start my training so I'll do well in my two DQ races when I'm back in NJ. And, since this is the first time I've raced since my injury, now I know that my body can handle this much effort without breaking down. My leg doesn't feel bad at all right now (what is it about race days that makes inflammation magically go away? this isn't the first time . . .). Overall, I'm ok with my performace (thrilled about the swim time - it was a real shock when I saw the results!) and this will hopefully serve as motivation in the coming weeks.

Last updated: 2008-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:30 | 402 meters | 01m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/23
Overall: 0/387
Performance: Good
Suit: very old nike suit from college
Course: Rectangular course - out along two buoys, across, and down along two more. The start was at the water's edge. It stayed shallow for quite awhile, but I chose to start swimming pretty early rather than run though it. Swim finish was also at water's edge.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:07
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:50:16 | 12 miles | 14.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/23
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Around local roads, finishing on a county road with a bit of a view of Lake Michigan, which was nice.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:37 | 03.1 miles | 09m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/23
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back on local roads. The first half of the course was shady, but that stretch around the halfway point was pretty hot. The very end of the run was on the beach, with about 1/10 of a mile of sand before the finish, which was pretty rough.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-06 12:34 PM

User image

Lawrence Township,
Subject: Fifth Third Bank Firecracker Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fifth Third Bank Firecracker Triathlon Rss Feed