General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for first marathon 3 months out? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-08 12:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Subject: Training for first marathon 3 months out?
Hey everyone!

Hope training/racing season is going great for everyone! I've been reading some great RRs!

Now to the question at hand...

I am currently in the middle of a HIM training plan, that ends at my "A" race on Sept. 14. Until then I am doing Olympic distance races and some running races (hopefully) to get racing practice and to continuously assess my fitness.

I was considering doing a local Marathon here in BC (Royal Victoria Marathon) which falls on October 12, just under a month after the HIM. My run mileage is nowhere near where it needs to be to do a marathon, but I really want to make the Victoria marathon my first. Now, I'm a little over 3 months out, and I have yet to see a training plan that is less then 16 weeks. With regards to running, I ran my first half marathon on June 22nd (finished in 1:26).

Ideally my goal would be to finish under 3:00. Has anyone else been in a similar situation or have any idea how I can tailor my current training plan to build up to Marathon distance? I'm also a silver member, so I have access to some Marathon training plans which I could potentially integrate!

Thanks in advance guys
Derek

2008-07-08 7:28 AM
in reply to: #1513542

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Training for first marathon 3 months out?
What is your current weekly mileage?
What is your current weekly long run?
Is this your first HIM?

If you run over 25 miles a week and your long run is 13 miles or more you can just work at increasing your long run within your HIM plan. Since the races are so close together I'd worry more trying to do long runs during your recovery from the HIM.

2008-07-08 7:30 AM

User image

Fishers, IN
You should be able to pull it off doing what you are doing. The fitness should be there, especially if you are racing on a relatively frequent basis. Your 10K's and Half's are in line-you have the speed (hold onto it) but need the endurance potentially. The only thing I would do different would be to build the long run into my schedule. I would do a 15, 17.5, 20, 20 run in preparation. The first two kind of stink but the third long usually gets much better-other than the boredom. I would space them maximally 2 weeks apart.

Biggest problem will be dealing with the taper/recovery for your HIM followed by tapering for your marathon. All the other races leading up, I would train through.
2008-07-08 7:46 AM

Expert
Southeast

Are your logs accurate?  They show 140 miles for 2008 so far (= around 28 miles per month give or take), presumably increasing over time since June shows around 66 miles, or around 15 miles per week.

If that's accurate, I'd be a bit worried that it is not enough of a base on which to begin a marathon training program, especially one that is condensed into 3 months, and especially one that is for your first marathon, despite your general good fitness.

2008-07-08 8:46 AM

User image

Runner

Yeah, I don't think it'll work out.  But hey, go prove me wrong.

2008-07-08 8:58 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
If you just want to finish, you should be OK. If you want to finish at your stated goal of sub 3 (just a little ambitious given your half mary time), take your time and train correctly.

2008-07-08 10:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria

I really appreciate the quick feedback

Unfortunately I wasn't doing a great job logging until about late May!

I was writing everything down, since I hadn't figured out how to view earlier logs here on BT and I wanted to be able to refer WAY back to earlier workouts. I was doing a few running races from about March --> May and I know my mileage was quite high, so I think it's safe to say my logs are fairly inaccurate.

My long run right now is about 12.5 miles, and I always end up thinking I could run more at the end (but I dont want to overtrain like some of my friends!).

Brown_dog/Rc, I see what you mean, since I would have to recover quite quickly from the HIM to keep my mileage up. I think it would be difficult to handle.

I do really want to break 3 hours for my first marathon, but I also think it would take extra preparation time. Unfortunately, I know that I (personally) wouldn't be happy if my goal were to finish.

But I really REALLY appreciate the responses!! It's making my decision much easier
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training for first marathon 3 months out? Rss Feed