General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Couldn't swim for 3rd time in 4 weeks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-11 7:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: Couldn't swim for 3rd time in 4 weeks

I don't mean for this to sound rude, but for the 3rd time in 4 weeks I was unable to swim or had to get out of pool because a child had an accident in the pool.  I am a father of 2 kids who are no way perfect but this never happened.  I believe that special diapers are made for swimming. 

When this happns the pool has to be shut down for 24 hrs and be shocked.  Costing pool owners in chemicals and revenue as well.   I think pool owners should be able to post a sign saying if this happens parent or guardian should have to pay a fine.

I am curious how other places deal with this problem, and am sorry if I sound like a child hater which I am not.  Thanks for listening to my rant

2008-07-11 7:36 AM
in reply to: #1522179

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Couldn't swim for 3rd time in 4 weeks

I understand your frustration!  I used to swim at a Y and had the same problem you describe.

At the pool where my daughter takes her swim lessons, there is a $300 fine for accidents in the pool.

Why?  Because, as you said, the pool needs to be closed and shocked, and no other children get their swim lessons for 24 hours, either.  The actual cost if probably much higher.

I would discuss my concerns with management.  3 times in 4 weeks is WAY to often - some type of policy needs to be in place.  And if management doesn't listen to you, then maybe it is time to find another pool if you can.

Good luck!

Andi

2008-07-11 7:41 AM

Regular
The pool in my town requires swim diapers but there was an accident there last year when I was taking my son for lessons.  "Requiring" and "enforcing" are two different things unfortunately.
2008-07-11 7:50 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

Although I don't have the same problem as you, i can sympathize.

First things first. I am not a squeamish person. I can handle quite a bit when it comes to gross. In fact, I have always prided myself on my iron stomach...

Now, I swim at an Army base pool where there are a TON of retirees (not that it's a bad thing). A few weeks ago, I jumped into the pool, started warming up, and then saw this HUMONGOUS bugger floating in the water. I didn't know they came in that size! It was bigger than a quarter! And the way it moved reminded me of an octopus or something...I was horrified to think what would happen if I got close to it...

I wonder what ELSE is in the water? I'm sure I've swallowed things that should not be named on this thread...

At least you were not in the pool when it happened.

Better luck next time! 

2008-07-11 8:37 AM

You don't live in NC, do you? I've had the same problem all summer! I swim at the local Y and it seems like if I don't go first thing in the morning there is bound to be a "fecal incident" as they like to call them that prevents me from swimming. It is frustrating and I like the idea of enforcing a fee. Usually the parents just scurry the kids out of the pool without looking back. Just last week all the lanes were full and there was a aqua aerobics class going on when one of these incidents occured. The whole pool had to clear out and then it was closed for the rest of the day! It affected over 30 people's workout!

Just wanted to chime in to say I hear ya!

2008-07-11 8:40 AM

Veteran

While I swim early in the AM and do not have this problem, I get email alerts from our pool that it will be closed for a shock.  Our lap pool is separate from the exercise/kid play pool, so this situation would not affect the lap swimming anyway.

Perhaps this will help.  I was at the play pool this past weekend with my 7 year old.  I noticed that there was a sign that there was a mandatory 5 minute break per hour from swimming for all kids under 14.  When I asked, one of the guards said that they had been having problems with what you have described.  They found that since implementing the break, they had not had a single problem for a few weeks.  They feel that the kids go to the bathroom during the break because they are not missing anything or are thinking about it.

You might ask your pool to implement some type of mandatory break for the kids.  Of course, this is not a scientific studs, has a sample size of n=1, and I am only reporting hearsay.  However, people who have an interest in keeping the pool clean and open report that this works.

Gordon

2008-07-11 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

Our local YMCA has a totally seperate "cold pool" for lap swimming than the "warm pool" which connects to the kiddie play area.  So "yellow, brown or green alerts" don't affect our ability to get in training time.

My kids never have caused one.  but on average, it happens about 2-3x per week and they take the pool down for justa few hours, not all day.

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
From my log this week:

TWO FOR TWO is the count. The count of kids pooping in the pool while I lap swim this week! Hahaha... I didn't have to get out (separate pools) but I did chuckle underwater.

Now if I DID have to get out of the pool I wouldn't be so chuckle-y. I had no idea the wait time was 24 hours?! Both times this happened this week, the kids and parents were waiting on the sidelines like they would be able to get back in soon. 24 hours is a long time.

User image

Extreme Veteran
Happened at our Y recently as well.  I was taking my kids for their lessons, which also gave me a chance to get in a short swim.  Pool closed, no swim for me or for kids...
2008-07-11 10:11 AM

User image

No poop in the pool here, but here's something that happened last night during my swim.  A diver group practices at the Y pool when I swim, occasionally.  Usually they take 2-3 lanes but last night they must have had a bigger than usual group because they took the entire pool except one lane.  I swam for a while in the area that they were also using, but when one of the divers almost jumped onto me, I decided to take a break and reconsider.  The only lane that was left was being used by a guy with 2 small kids (8-9 years old I figured), the dad was coaching and the kids were doing laps.  The dad graciously invited me to split the lane with them, and I thanked him and accepted.  The kids were very well behaved and I finished my workout there, but I couldn't help but notice that the water at that end of the pool was a bit warmer...
2008-07-11 11:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson

I think (it's been years ago) that the pool in my hometown would do the 10 or 15 min break thing every once in awhile.  Made for horribly long lines at the snack bar...but probably helped prevent some accidents.

Perhaps a stupid question, but given that I've only been swimming for about 7 months since I was much younger, can you even tell if someone pee'd in the pool?  Unless you're right next to them and notice a strange warmness.....which could be welcome on a cold day I guess...  

2008-07-11 12:29 PM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
At our community pool, there is a 10 minute adult only time every hour. It's great. The kids get to get out of the pool, sit down, relax, take a , drop a bomb, whatever. I totally love it. Plus, it's a good chance to pack the rodents up and head for home.
2008-07-11 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1522189

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

Wolfhound668 - 2008-07-11 8:41 AM The pool in my town requires swim diapers... 

Is there an age limit on these?  I'm not sure they make them in my size...

2008-07-11 1:26 PM

Veteran
I pee in the pool all the time
that's what the chlorine is for right?
don't you think fish/snakes/turtles/beavers/birds,etc are going potty in the lakes you swim in?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Couldn't swim for 3rd time in 4 weeks Rss Feed