DQ Tri/Du
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 22s
Overall Rank = 18/200
Age Group = 25-29 Male
Age Group Rank = 3/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:00AM. Grabbed my stuff from the fridge/freezer and got on the road. It was about an hour away from my house. Wasnt very hungry so I only ate 1/2 of an uncrustable and had some gatorade. Got to the race site and parked at the school. Had about a 1/2 mile walk to the transition area. The race site was well organized and a bunch of volunteers were there. I was a bit skeptical doing this race because after reading some race reports from last year, it seemed like it was going to suck. Things were much better this year. I do have to admit, the lake was pretty gross and I knew it was going to be a dirty swim.
Event warmup:

Ran approx. 3/4 mile.
Swim
  • 06m 53s
  • 481 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

My swim is always my worst part. I have had trouble over the past year with my open water swims. Even though my pace doesn't seem fast, this swim was extremely good for me. I kept telling myself before the race that I could swim well. I positioned myself on the front line knowing there was going to be some bumping and grinding. I need to get used to it at some point so today was the day. The horn went and I just went. There was some bumping and grinding and I just kept going. Before I would stop and poke my head out of the water to find open room but I just kept swimming. For the first time ever I drafted as well which was awesome. It was only for about 150-200 yards but it was drafting none the less. I was 8th out of the water in my wave. I was extremely happy with that performance.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, I probably could have swam a bit harder but that is just nit picking.
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Unfortunately the shower they had set up off of the swim exit to wash off all of the sludge wasn't on yet so I took some extra time to get it off with my towel. Got the shoes on and off I went.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 37m 22s
  • 15.2 miles
  • 24.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Live and learn... The bike ride was the downfall to my race being a better race today. I went out and rode at a comfortable pace on the first road (which was the headwing). Passed a couple people off the bat and settled in about 8 bike lengths from another guy. As soon as we hit the first sharp turn I took off since the headwind was gone. I was around 26-27mph and just hammering down. I felt good at the time and kept riding and passed another 4 riders. Hit the headwind road again and was going 2-3mph faster than the first loop. It was too late to back off since I was probably only 3-4 miles from T2 so I went with it knowing I would have to hang on for my run.

Better pacing. I should have known better. Also take in more liquid.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Not much to report here. I got to transition and there were 3 bikes on the rack, a pretty cool site since I am usually one of the last waves to go and there is always bikes racked before mine.

Nothing.
Run
  • 24m 46s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

This was nothing but me holding on to what I had left. Originally I was hoping for 6:45-7:00 miles but there was no chance on hitting that today. I was passed about 1/2 mile into the run and again around 3/4 of a mile. I was passed by a small group again around 1.5 miles and then again by a duathlon runner around 2 miles. Finally was passed about 1/4 mile from the finish and I just hung onto that guy to the end. It was kind of embarassing yet a good learning experience at the same time. I was able to pick my pace up about half way thru the run as I was feeling a bit better.

Better bike pacing so my run wouldn't suck so much.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and took a shower under the fire hose to get all of the dirt off of me from the swim. Also had to clean my ears out because they were full of crud too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just the bike pacing...

Event comments:

This was a very well run race. From the race reports last year I would like to think the RD got his act together and this years race was MUCH better. Everything was on time and the course was well marked with TONS of volunteers. The fire hall had some good food afterwards as well. The swim was a bit gross but I wouldn't let it stop me from racing this race again in the future. Still not a bad day for getting 3rd in my AG. Even with a solid run I would have been about 30 seconds slower than the guy who ended up in 2nd.

Last updated: 2008-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:53 | 481 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 60/200
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix Long John
Course: It was an out and back swim in a very dirty lake. It was shallow all the way out and a few times I got some of the bottom sludge on my pull. I was extremely happy I was in the first wave though because from what I heard, it was very dirty once everything got kicked up.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:22
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:22 | 15.2 miles | 24.41 mile/hr
Overall: 6/200
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Rectangular type course on open roads. The first portion (also the longest) had a headwind for both laps.
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:46 | 03.11 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 44/200
Performance: Below average
Course: Run on roads with a short climb out of transition. Not much shade but all flat running.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-14 7:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
Subject: Vincentown Sprint Triathlon

2008-07-14 12:36 PM
in reply to: #1526953

User image

Master
Olney, MD
Subject: RE: Vincentown Sprint Triathlon
Congrats on your AG placement   Your bike time was smokin'!
2008-07-14 10:42 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
AJ nice race dude 3rd in your AG is great. You were missed thsi weekend in Rhode Island. Look forward to catching up some day soon!
2008-07-15 1:54 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Nice work!

Live & learn on the pacing part, but at least you left everything out there and did put up a great bike.

2008-07-15 7:06 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

wow

you had a smokin' fast race all the way around!!!!

congrats! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vincentown Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed