General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bars or Drop handle bars Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-27 11:50 AM

New user

Subject: Tri bars or Drop handle bars
Hi all
I am taking part in my first triathlon in May and as a beginner I have many questions but the main one is that I and have just bought a road bike which has straight handle bars, am I better swapping these to the drop handle bars or attaching tri bars.

What is the pros/cons of each?

Thanks

Steve

2005-01-27 1:32 PM
in reply to: #109047

Elite
Livingston, MT
Subject: RE: Tri bars or Drop handle bars
I think it depends on your course and how much time you have to your race. I use a road bike myself. If your course is full of hills or you are a month or two out from your big race, I would worry about it.

I have a half ironman in 7 weeks, a short enough time that I don't want to try anything new. I've played with the idea of putting the aerobars on the bike and in the end I've decided to let my bike be.

This is not to say that there aren't benefits to going aero, it just takes some time to become proficient. I'm toying with the idea of buying a tri-bike after my last race of the year in August and spending some time in the offseason learning how to use it. My first full Ironman is supposed to be full of hills, so I'm not all that certain that I would use it in that race.

It's fun to get wrapped up in the equipment and I find myself doing it at times(like last night ), but in the end, it really is about the engine.

Have fun
2005-01-27 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
White House, TN
Since you say you just bought it, I would go back to the LBS where you bought it and tell them what the bike is for; they should be able to help you (and may "make it right" for little or no cost ;-) ). Or, if it's a superstore product, develop a relationship with an LBS and ask them. Don't let them sell you a new bike because, if they are shrewd business people, they realize that when you out-perform this bike, you'll come to them for a new one.

Bottom line: talk to a local expert.

Edited by Hawkeye 2005-01-27 1:46 PM
2005-01-27 2:38 PM

Roanoke, Virginia
My 2 cents is that you should get drops first, because they are the most versatile. You can easily do a tri with drops and you will have better control of the bike. As you become more comfortable with you bike then you can add clip-ons.

I agree with the comments about using tri bars less on hills...the same is true for riding around town with lots of traffic. You will be able to handle the bike much better and avoid trouble easier with drops.

I use clip-on tri bars and I mainly use the tri bars on rolling terrain away from traffic.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bars or Drop handle bars Rss Feed