General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Motivation for both teams Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-28 10:06 AM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Motivation for both teams
Regardless of what team we're on some of us may need a little kick....err....PUSH, YEAH THAT'S IT! We're divided in teams bu in the big picture, we're all here for each other, right?........RIGHT??

Just a question and/or thought:

1 - What have you changed to begin this weight loss challenge (diet, exercise, an increase in either/both, etc.)?
2 - Is it working?
3 - If not, what are you going to try next?
4 - Did you have a goal of how much weight you wanted to loose each week?
5 - Are you acheiving that goal so far? (USE ONE WORD TO ANSWER (YES/NO) BUT DO GIVE A BREIF EXPLANATION IF YOU DESIRE)

I'll start
1 - I changed the food that I normally consume (very little), but I did and am increasing my exercise program from nill to at least 3 times per week
2 - YES
3 - It is working but between a flu and simply being a bit lazy I'm getting motivated and will step it up starting this coming week
4 - I want to loose at least 3lb each week. Again, off to a slow start but I hope to loose at least 4lb each week from now on.
5 - YES - A little bit of a slow start but YES

2005-01-28 11:35 AM
in reply to: #109533

User image

Veteran
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Motivation for both teams
Great post
1- I've begun running every day and have really adjusted my eating. No "bad" foods--lots more veggies and fruits, no late night snacks, whole wheats, etc.
2- I guess, I lost a pound--yes, a meesly pound.
3- I'm going to keep up with what I am doing--I may just be off to a slow start, but I am already feeling better during the day, energy wise. I will continue to add new things (healthy) to my diet, and want to incorporate some weight training a few days per week.
4- 2 pounds (of course, I'd love to lose all 30 in one week, but hey...who am I kidding)
5- Yes (feeling better and losing weight...slowly )
2005-01-28 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
White House, TN
I'm hoping that everyone is a LOSER!

1. Two big things: For Diet, I'm following the Abs Diet (book by David Zinczenko, editor of Men's Health mag.). I'm not denying myself food; I'm eating healthy forms of the food I love. It's great because I get cravings A LOT. With this, I can give in, just with the right types of food. For Exercise, I'm doing a basic couch to sprint plan. It has me ENDURANCE training for 12 weeks. It has me doing low-intensity endurance workout 6 days a week, and sometimes twice a day.

2. A smart diet with moderate, low-intensity exercise is working for me. I'm down 5 pounds and getting in better shape each day.

3. Not applicable.

4. I have a goal of where I want to be when. I'm doing my sprint tri on 30 APR and I'd like to be at 230 by then...a loss of 25 pounds in just over 3 months. I haven't bothered to break it down into weekly goals because I know that it's easier to lose early and harder later. If I can hit my 30 APR goal, then I'll move on to try and lose another 20 by the end of the year. If I lose 50 lbs this year (yikes, that's scary for so many reasons), I'll be at a weight that I haven't been since I was in college 10 years ago.

5. Yes. So far, I'm happy with my weight loss and how it's coming off. I'm getting in better shape...actually I'm getting into different shape. It's been a long time since I trained for endurance and longevity over strength and speed. I'm not hungry. I can eat most anything I want (or at least the healthy version of it) and still lose weight and get in shape.

Edited by Hawkeye 2005-01-28 1:20 PM
2005-01-28 1:23 PM

User image

Expert
1- My exercise has increased, but that was happening anyway because of my new goal of a marathon in June. I've also been getting better and better with my diet -- less meals out, less fat, and eating less.
2 - It's working but not as well as I'd like. I'm slightly behind my scheduled goals for myself for weight loss. Of course I want it all to happen yesterday!
3 - I'm going to continue to refine my diet, maybe let myself feel hungrier, and eat more fruits & veggies. My training continues to ramp up so that's going to be progressing also. I also got the Endurox fat burning pills from PBN. I'm going to give those a try over the next week/month.
4 - My goal is 2 pounds per week.
5 - Yes, and No. I'm 2 pounds behind overall, but this week I made my goal. I've just got to do a little "catch up" to get on track.

Thanks for the questions, Eddie! We are all in this together, even though the DRAGON SLAYERS are going to win!!!

Mike
2005-01-28 1:42 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
1 - What have you changed to begin this weight loss challenge (diet, exercise, an increase in either/both, etc.)?

Not getting a "sidelining" injury

2 - Is it working?

Like a charm

3 - If not, what are you going to try next?

N/A

Approx 2 pounds - average

5 - Are you acheiving that goal so far? (USE ONE WORD TO ANSWER (YES/NO) BUT DO GIVE A BREIF EXPLANATION IF YOU DESIRE)

YES!

-Frank
2005-01-28 2:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northeast Ohio

1 - What have you changed to begin this weight loss challenge?

•  trying to be more consistent
  • trying to eat 5 servings of fruits and vegs/day

2 - Is it working?

• amazingly well so far

3 - If not, what are you going to try next? N/A

• I'm trying not to focus on how much/how fast.  I really began all of this last January when I weighed 254.  Today the scale says 207.  Sure I've lost lots of weight, but it's taken me a long time- less than a pound a week.  I'm trying to stay focussed on the long term goals and hope to get a tiny bit closer every day.

5 - Are you acheiving that goal so far?  YES!

Debi

PS I finally added an avatar- the tortise from "The Totise and the Hare".  I keep reminding myself "slow and steady wins the race".

2005-01-28 3:02 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
great post. interesting to read what others are doing to achieve similar goals.

1. what i've changed: strict portion control is the only thing that works for me. i eat VERY healthy foods, i just eat too much of them. so out come the 1/2 cup measure, the measuring spoons, the scale, etc. goal = 1600-1800 calories a day. on rest days i'll probably do 1600 emphasizing more protein; long workout days up to 1800 w/ an emphasis on carbs. trying fitnessbrain software to count calories and track overall progress. was already working out about 5-6 days a week to get ready for my first tri (feb 13th), so that hasn't changed.

2. YES - down 3 lbs over the course of the past week.

3. n/a

4. goal = 1-2 lbs a week. 3 lbs is a surprise. if i continue to loose over 2 lbs a week, i will increase my calories, since dropping weight that fast isn't healthy.

5. YES
2005-01-28 9:41 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
1. I've tried to change my eating habits- eating more whole grains, fruits, veggies and REAL food. Not so much packaged and fake food.
2. Eating a little all day. Easy for me to do since I'm a stay at home mom. It's hard to sit down and have a big meal.
3. Started doing my workouts consistently. At least something every day if possible, with a day or two off if needed.
4. Going to this website has helped me tremendously with my motivation and will power. If it wasn't for all of you, I don't know where I'd be!
5. My goal is to do 2 sprint tri's and one oly tri in late summer. Helps to have goals and a reason to work out.
Also to get down to 145lbs, which hasn't been since late summer 2003 before I got pregnant.

That's about it. Oh and I'd like to be able to wear a swimsuit and not be embarrassed!! :-)
2005-01-28 9:42 PM

User image

New user

I actually started my weight loss program back in August but I'm always up for a challenge.

1. I completely changed what and when I eat. I increased the # of meals I eat a day from 2-3 to 5-6 and significantly decreased the portion size. I cut out fast food, fried food, and pretty much anything that was high in Sat. fat. I added lots of fish, fruit and veggies. I also started running and mountain biking. When the cold forced me inside I got a gym membership and I've been running, biking, swimming and strength training ever since.

2. YES, down 30 lbs since August but it's leveled off as of late.

3. I've taken the last 2 weeks off before I start my Tri training plan. I'm hoping the transition will cause a break through point for me

4. No, didn't even weigh myself for the first 2 months. I'm focused on doing the right things. The weight loss will come
2005-01-29 6:32 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY

1. I'm eating more fruits and veggies. Drinking more water.

2. I'm not sure I'd consider 1/2 a week working.

3. I'm going back to Weight Watcher meetings on a more frequent basis, and keeping a food journal again. It's those little things we munch on that catch up with us. If I write everything down, I'll have a better handle on what I'm really doing.

4. I'd like to lose 1-2 pounds a week. Though I'm aiming to be down 10 pounds before Saint Anthony's, so I don't need 2 pounds every week.

5. Sorta.

2005-01-30 10:18 AM

Reading, UK

1 - My diet has changed - im not eating cakes, crisps and staying away from bread - just because it gives me a stomach ache. Im trying to eat more during the day as i used to eat about 400kcal during the day and most at night. Trying to drink more water and eat healthier food. I have also started training for the tri so increase in exercise.

2 - Is it working? - Yes but sometimes i stay the same - though clothes are loser so must be muscle

4 - Did you have a goal of how much weight you wanted to loose each week? 2-3lbs would be ideal! But i greet any loss with a big smile

5 - Are you acheiving that goal so far? - YES - 8lbs lost

I weighed myself this morning because i was annoyed about not losing any last week and i have lost some but that will be added to next week - i guess its just one of those things!

C X

2005-01-30 9:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Hmmm... Lessee...

1. I was already working on losing weight, so other than swearing off Graeter's Chocolate Milkshakes (not doing too well on that!), I haven't changed much. But it is adding motivation...
2. Umm.. Kindof, I've dropped two pounds but I'm really kindof floating right now. I slipped on a business trip and I'm trying to get back on track.
3. Starting tonight, I'm back to carefully tracking calories in, to make sure I don't snack myself to death.
4. I'm shooting for 1-1.5lb per week, in order to help make sure it STAYS off.
5. YES.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Motivation for both teams Rss Feed