General Discussion Triathlon Talk » weight training and gaining weight Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-21 7:29 PM

Subject: weight training and gaining weight

I took a three day break from triathlon training including strength training, starting from friday to sunday, just doing things like playing frisbee and whatnot. I might add that I did keep my water intake the same though.

I noticed that I dropped a significant amount of weight from 225 to 218 during my little break from training.  I recently picked it up again today with the training and the weights (swim, run and tris+shoulders) and I ballooned back up to 224.  Is this a common occurence for your weight to fluctuate like that?

2008-07-21 11:32 PM
in reply to: #1547249

Elite
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: weight training and gaining weight
It can be. When you train, the body goes into a "supercompensation" mode. Weight training and endurance training both demand high levels of glycogen for fuel, weight training even more so. Glycogen is stored in the muscles and liver and it must be stored along with water. So, increased exercise demands = increased storage of glycogen and water = weight gain, hence the weight fluctuations that you see. I've read stories that bodybuilders, who typically deplete themselves of water and glycogen as much as is humanly possible for a contest, will gain 10-20 lbs. in one day after their contest and after binging on doughnuts and ice cream.
2008-07-22 7:17 AM
in reply to: #1547249

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts

I'm in agreeance with Mike.  You probably sweat out a lot of water weight while on your three-day hiatus...while your body wasn't forcing itself to hold onto water and glycogen for the next day's workout.

Also, do you take creatine?  It has a tendency to promote (in it's simplest form, monohydrate...not the advanced forms like Kre-Alkalyn) water retention in intramuscular space. 

2013-11-12 1:26 AM
in reply to: mjrizon

Diet is an important element for weight gain. There are several other imperative features to consider but nothing is as important like the accurate diet and food plan. Without the right fuel to supply your muscles to develop you will have slight growth.

Angelica

UltraLifeShop
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » weight training and gaining weight Rss Feed