General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim question for first sprint triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-30 6:26 PM

Subject: swim question for first sprint triathlon

I have my first triathlon in about a wk....and it's a sprint....

250 yd swim, 14K bike, 5K run

I've been training....but I'm trying to figure out what my pace(s) should be for the race.

I'm possibly the worst biker in north carolina right now, so I'm just hoping to finish the bike lol ....and for the run I was planning on starting off at a jog and seeing how i feel after a few minutes and then hopefully feel good enough to pick up the pace. (Please let me know if you'd suggest anything different)

And for the swim...I swam throughout high school and part of college so the swim sounds like a breeze to me....I was going to just do a full out sprint for the whole 250 yd, like I would in a regular swim meet.  Is that a horrible idea?

And then my other question is....the swim is in an indoor pool....do you dive off the starting blocks? off the side? or do you just push off the wall?  I really have no clue what to expect.

Thanks in advance for any feedback :-

2008-07-30 6:31 PM
in reply to: #1571458

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Subject: RE: swim question for first sprint triathlon

How do you usually feel after a sprint of that distance during a swim meet?  Don't forget, you have a bike and a run afterwards, so it's not quite the same as one of your meets. You know yourself best, but maybe an all-out sprint isn't the best idea... maybe 90%.  I bet your 90% will be way better than most others 100%.

Usually you'll get in the pool and someone will tell you when to go and you push off the wall.  You won't be diving in, that's for certain.

Your run strategy sounds like a good one.

Good luck! 

2008-07-30 6:33 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
jacq3749 - 2008-07-30 7:26 PM

I have my first triathlon in about a wk....and it's a sprint....

250 yd swim, 14K bike, 5K run

I've been training....but I'm trying to figure out what my pace(s) should be for the race.

I'm possibly the worst biker in north carolina right now, so I'm just hoping to finish the bike lol ....and for the run I was planning on starting off at a jog and seeing how i feel after a few minutes and then hopefully feel good enough to pick up the pace. (Please let me know if you'd suggest anything different)

And for the swim...I swam throughout high school and part of college so the swim sounds like a breeze to me....I was going to just do a full out sprint for the whole 250 yd, like I would in a regular swim meet.  Is that a horrible idea?

And then my other question is....the swim is in an indoor pool....do you dive off the starting blocks? off the side? or do you just push off the wall?  I really have no clue what to expect.

Thanks in advance for any feedback :-

For a pool tri, you will start in the water and just push off the side. Most likely you will serpentine under the lane ropes. Some do have lap counters, but most of the time it is a serpentine. If the swim is your strength, race it! Your body is used to that, so go for it! You may end up recovering a little on the bike. But if your goal is just to survive the bike, then you should be alright. Your logic seems very sound to me on the run. Listen to your body and do what it tells you. In the ideal world, a sprint tri is raced all out, balls to the wall, for all three disciplines. Thus the name Sprint Have fun with your first one and please report the details to us here on BT. You will always remember that first one

Pam
2008-07-30 6:39 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Pam laid out how the swim will be, and if you're a good swimmer, get toward the front.  Pool swims bottleneck something terrible and if you're in it there will be a lot of stopping.

You have a good plan.  With this being your first tri, just feel it out and learn from it.  When it rolls around next year, and you've got some under your belt, you can go after it like a true sprint.  All out the entire way.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim question for first sprint triathlon Rss Feed