General Discussion Race Reports! » Glastonbury Living Well Series - 10K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Glastonbury Living Well Series - 10K - Run

View Member's Race Log
Glastonbury, Connecticut
United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 41m 29s
Overall Rank = 10/80
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/15
Pre-race routine:

Arrived early to help set up
Event warmup:

Jogged about 1 mile to test the ankle and attempt to loosen up
Run
  • 41m 29s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Had to take off nearly the entire week with a bum ankle. Though still hurting I hoped it had healed enough to let me run. The downhill start was punishing for the injury, so it basically killed the entire 10K. Sitting out all week also left me struggling from a cardio standpoint, so I found myself hit with massive mid-section cramps at the 4 mile mark after averaging a 5:45 pace to that point and running. I was holding back running in 3rd place, drafting the guy I beat each of the last two weekends, but having no form, my ankle killing me, and nasty cramps, I had to tend to all that and bring my pace to a crawl. Even had to walk the cramps out at one point.

As I neared the bottom of the big hill with a 1/2 mile to go, the cramps finally subsided and I managed to run the last part of the course finishing in 10th. The struggles in the race happen to everyone so I'm not bothered too much by that, just ticked about this ankle thing which is now sore as hell again. The occassional downside to running, dealing with injuries. Sucks.
Post race

Last updated: 2008-08-02 12:00 AM
Running
00:41:29 | 06.21 miles | 06m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 10/80
Performance: Below average
Course: Huge 1/2 mile downhill at the start, an out and back course that's mostly flat in the middle, with a huge 1/2 mile climb at the end.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-08-02 4:10 PM

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT
Subject: Glastonbury Living Well Series - 10K

2008-08-02 4:46 PM
in reply to: #1578106

User image

Master
CT
Subject: RE: Glastonbury Living Well Series - 10K

Bummer about the ankle Jay. But, even injured you are just wicked fast!

You should let that heal up before you go pounding out another race  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Glastonbury Living Well Series - 10K Rss Feed