General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rehabbin triathlete wants to know Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-25 7:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Subject: Rehabbin triathlete wants to know
BACKGROUND: did 1st tri in 2000..... did my 8th and last tri Aug 2002. MTB injury Aug. 2002, majority of vertebra subluxated for 3 weeks, major pain& fever after a race took me finally for x-rays, started rehab after that [chiropractic for 1.5 months, deep tissue massage 1.5 months, PT still going].
18 months, zero triathlons later- still doing the PT....

A LIL BIT MO' BACKGROUND: to ease up neck tension build up from breathing on the same side, i started alternating my breathing..... inproperly because I've been diagnosed w/ "adhesions" [ i think a fancy term for major muscle knots].... THUS i have been prohibitted from swimming for three weeks, was given new technique for running and told to do recumbant bike only.

QUESTION: I've been following the "couch to sprint" program and was in week #5......how do you guys think I should handle my running and biking part per week. Should I up the amount of bike portions? up the amount of run portion?

I just feel like if I don't exchange the swimming for something- i don't feel it's even worth it to go....and i'm limited with the kind of activity i can do.

Thanks in advance,

Milly

2004-02-26 10:51 AM
in reply to: #9342

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Rehabbin triathlete wants to know

Hi Milly,

I read your post yesterday.  Today I notice that our normally active forum has not leapt with lots of advice for you.  I think they (and certainly I) are concerned that we not give bad advice.  I think the bike accident you had would be what is commonly called the "face plant".   The tingling that you feel is a symptom that should not be ignored.  I hope you have a good orthopedist in addition to the chiropractor and physical therapist checking your neck vertebra.   The only advice I want to give is, "Go slow, get well and keep us posted."

Tom 

2004-02-27 6:54 PM
in reply to: #9422

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Thanks Tom,

I was a bit disappointed that i wasn't getting any advice- so thank you for writing. I've had MRI's up the whazoo and everything comes out looking normal.... i don't know if the techs who read them are missing something or what. Yes going slow is a good idea- just a sad one for me..... my bike hangs upside down w/ deflated tires and spiders for companions. Maybe I should also sit this season out.... it's tough not having that thrill that comes along with training and competition. Miss it tons... but you're right, and i have to keep repeating that to myself- go slow.
2004-02-27 7:22 PM
in reply to: #9342

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Well, you can run and you can bike albeit on a recumbent...but you cannot swim for 3 weeks! I would have suggested that you do upper body weights, but as I am not a train orthopedist, I will refrain from that. Ask your doctor what kind of upper body exercise you can do that will not exacerbate your subluxated vertebra and do that in lieu of the swim. Then, when you get the go ahead to swim, you can resume with that; I presume that, as you have done 8 tri's already, you must be fairly adept at swimming thus you must have some base to build on.
Whatever you decide to do, the best of luck to you and I hope to hear of your continued progress on this forum. Welcome ...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rehabbin triathlete wants to know Rss Feed