General Discussion Triathlon Talk » trying to determine where I am, and where I am headed... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-07 10:36 PM

New user

Subject: trying to determine where I am, and where I am headed...
So, this triathlon business is new to me. I've not even completed a race before! With that in mind, I can complete each of the three distances easily at the sprint distance. Today for instance, I completed the 20km bike immediately followed by a 5km run in 1:02:56...with some hills, using a mountain bike with slicks. Swimming, of the three, is traditionally my strongest, so I've not been focusing as much on that. So, is that time respectable? Is it good, bad, somewhere in between? I really don't know where I stand.... mid-pack maybe?

That leads me to another question... I really would love to do a tri at the olympic distance. But not having completed one before, should I train for sprint distance and do sprints all 2009, and hold off on Olympic distance until 2010? Or can I train to do an olympic distance mid-summer next year, and do some sprints to warm-up early season?

I guess I'm just feeling a little confused, and unsure as to where I go from here. I know everyone says such great things about triathletes, about how nice and helpful they are. Well, I was wondering if someone that is experienced wouldn't mind just helping me figure a few things out, and give me just a little direction??

Thanks so much,

Mike

2008-08-07 10:45 PM
in reply to: #1589233

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
Subject: RE: trying to determine where I am, and where I am headed...

sounds like you have the potential to be a very strong triathlete.  those are defenitely respectable times, especially if swimming is your strong suit.  If I had to guess, I would say you would be front of the pack at most sprint races.  (although that really depends on the race)

As for olympic or sprint, you could really do either out of the gate.  I think you would have more fun if you did a sprint or two before attempting an olympic (just for the experience) but it doens't matter that much.

If you were one of my athletes, I would have you do at least 2 sprints early next season and then do an olympic mid to late season.

2008-08-08 9:12 AM
in reply to: #1589233

New user

Subject: RE: trying to determine where I am, and where I am headed...
Thanks so much for your reply! That's encouraging to hear that my time is decent. I just wish I had the cash to buy a decent used road bike, because my mountain bike is fairly heavy.

My times were 20km bike - 37:04 and 5km run 25:52. Which of these is stronger? I know my computer had me between 115RPM (on hills) and up to 135RPM (flats) for 95% of the race. I just slowed down a touch in the last 500m to make it a bit easier transition to the run.

When I say that swimming traditionally was my stronger of the three, that was all done in the pool. I used to have a pretty decent 1000m time. I know it's a lot different in open water, so that will have to be worked on soon while the water is still somewhat warm (I'm in Canada, talk about frigid water!).

I think what I might do is sign up for the first two sprint distances for next year and see how I do. I may just like the extra speed associated with the shorter distance? And then I can do an Olympic later in the summer. Another option is that there are 2 more sprint distances this year, both in September (one at beginning, one at end). I could do both and see how I do.

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Mike
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » trying to determine where I am, and where I am headed... Rss Feed