Capital District Triathlon Club
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m 54s
Overall Rank = 19/191
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/9
Pre-race routine:

Didn't get a great night's rest at my friends place, was too excited to really fall asleep. Woke up easy, ate a mango and a clif bar at about 5:40 then headed to the venue. Found my spot in transition and got my chip and body marked.
Event warmup:

Took my bike out for a couple short sprints and to run through the gears, then with about 15 minutes before race time I was able to get in the water and swim out to the 2nd marker for a warm up.
Swim
  • 18m 57s
  • 732 meters
  • 02m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a great swim for me. I maintained freestyle throughout which was awesome. I only got kicked once which was nice. I had a little trouble staying straight which forced me to sight alot which probably slowed me down, but otherwise I think this went great.
What would you do differently?:

More OWS practice to learn how to keep straight
Transition 1
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

This was a super fast transition. Ditching the socks was definitely a good move. I maybe should've washed the sand/dirt off my feet before putting the bike shoes on but it wasn't THAT uncomfortable so whatever. I had the 5th fastest T1 and considering I actually tied for 19th overall so I needed those few seconds from not washing my feet.

Nothing
Bike
  • 57m 15s
  • 18.35 miles
  • 19.23 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a great ride. I was hoping to do it in under an hour but after driving the course and seeing how hilly it was I wasn't sure I would be able to pull that off but I did. Every time I went hard up a hill I just kept thinking I was cooking my legs for the final climb (not steep but the longest of the course) but I was able to get up that one fast too.

Not much, I mean 19.2 mph on a course like this is great I think. Maybe I could go harder once I get to the top of a climb, often I would notice my speed barely increased even though I was riding a flat at the top.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Well I had been practicing my dismounts with feet out of the shoes, but it was a narrow, bumpy downhill into transition and I couldn't get my left foot out of the shoe! So I had to unclip and come to a stop at the mount line then akwardly run with one shoe on, one shoe off to my spot. I was able to get the shoe off and my running shoes on quickly so it wasn't a big deal.

Obviously the dismount wasn't great but its hard to blame myself. It was just tough to deal with the bumps while hitting the brakes down the hill and try to pull my feet out of the shoes.
Run
  • 20m 14s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I couldn't believe this split when I saw it! This run was one heck of a battle. I almost puked early in the run because I felt bloated even though I only drank 1/2 a bottle and ate 1 gel on the bike. But I knew I was in good position after the bike leg and I didn't want to give it away with the run so I just pushed it the whole way. I was trying to check my watch at the mile markers but I was in such a lactic acid-induced haze that I couldn't remember the previous time so I had no clue what my pace was. I didn't have much of a finishing kick so I know I left it all out there, but I really didn't think I was that far under a 7 minute pace. What a great run for me

Not much this was pretty fast. I do want to figure out whats going on with my fluid intake because I was bloated in my first triathlon going into the run and I'm really not taking much in on the bike. I'm guessing I'm just swallowing a ton of water during the swim.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched. I ran into and out of transition when my friend got back from the bike, then ran in the finishing kick with him too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much, at this point in my training this was about as good as I could've done which is great.

Event comments:

They had music and stuff before the race which was cool. Not much to do afterwards though. They had some fruit and a good variety of bagels but that was it. Lots of volunteers directing traffic which was great. The park itself was beautiful, if I'm still in the area next year I'll definitely do this one again.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-08-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:57 | 732 meters | 02m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 61/191
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: This was probably longer than a half mile and the race director admitted as much, saying it was probably closer to .6 miles. The times seem to back this up. The water was nice and warm and there was little to no current which was really nice.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:50
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:15 | 18.35 miles | 19.23 mile/hr
Overall: 20/191
Wind: Little
Course: This course was fairly hilly. No big, long climbs but just lots of up and down with a few challenging ones in there. I'm pretty sure this benefitted me because most of my training is done on hills so I wasn't complaining, but it was a difficult course (especially for my friend!). Also, the site said 18.0 miles, but both mapmyride.com and my bike computer agreed on 18.35 so thats what I'm putting here.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:14 | 03 miles | 06m 44s  min/mile
Overall: 20/191
Course: No real 'climbs' but this was not a flat course. And I didn't find the hill coming out of transition very amusing. Good amount of shade on the 2nd half though.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-24 1:05 PM

User image

Expert
Niskayuna, New York
Subject: Crystal Lake Triathlon

2008-08-24 5:55 PM
in reply to: #1624045

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Crystal Lake Triathlon

Wow, great race Rob! First in your AG is amazing and overall top 20 too! Looks like all the training is paying off. And I see you have another race in September. I'm sure you'll do great there as well.

You have proven to me that I seriously need to work on my transitions. You didn't waste one second. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crystal Lake Triathlon Rss Feed