General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What does pulled hamstring feel like? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-25 1:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: What does pulled hamstring feel like?

I was running intervals last Tuesday about 2 miles into my workout my right hamstring felt a little funny. Felt like it was going to cramp up, but not as intense. I slowed down, but the sensation did not go away. I stopped running and walked home. Once I got home and sat down it felt fine. I went to work and it felt fine. I swam twice total of 2 hours and biked 3 times for 107 miles, but did not run again until Saturday. My hamstring was fine all week long while biking and swimming no problems, not even sore. Saturday AM I rode 63 miles then transitioned into a 4 mile run. As soon as I started running I could feel this sensation in my hamstring that was a little like a cramp. It did not cramp up, but it did not feel better either. As soon as I stopped running it felt fine. No problems while riding and no problems after. Is it typical of a muscle pull to only hurt during that particular exercise? I would have though a pulled hamstring would be painfull riding and swimming as well. 

chevy57

2008-08-25 1:19 PM
in reply to: #1626133

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois
Subject: RE: What does pulled hamstring feel like?

A mild strain to one of the muscles in the hamstrings group could feel like a slight cramp.

Depending on how bad the strain is it can feel like a "knot" to "getting shot in the back of the leg".

As far as what actions you will feel it in, that would depend on a variety of factors.  A couple factors would be: which of the hamstrings muscles were affected, what degree of strain it was, how "high" or "low" the strain was, and how much load is put on that point during each of the given excersizes.

In my experience, it is fairly typical for a mild strain to only hurt during an action that puts stress on it.

2008-08-25 1:23 PM

Extreme Veteran

OK. What do I do now? Lay off the running for a week or two. How long? Should I try to run easy, but shorter duration?

chevy57

2008-08-25 1:27 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
I pulled mine a few years ago and it was a quick pop basically.  If it came on slowly it probably isn't a pull but maybe a strain.  I would go see a dr if you are concerned.
2008-08-25 1:36 PM
in reply to: #1626190

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois
chevy57 - 2008-08-25 1:23 PM

OK. What do I do now? Lay off the running for a week or two. How long? Should I try to run easy, but shorter duration?

chevy57

I'm not an M.D. so I couldn't tell you how to treat it.

As has been mentioned, if you are really concerned you could check in with a sports ortho for a consult.

I can tell you what I hear quite a bit from atheletes and patients I work on.

Most athletes I have seen for strains are generally told to not stress it for a minimum of five days (mild strain) to significantly longer the greater the degree of the strain is.

As far as other treatment methods, most of the athletes are told to R.I.C.E. and take anti inflamatories through the rest period.

Note that none of us will be able to be sure if you have a muscle strain or something else going on.  Even a doc generally isn't going to make that call based on an online interaction.  So if it is a serious concern you'll need to see someone in person.

Good luck!

Joshua

2008-08-25 2:55 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I get these cramp/spasm like sensations in my left hammy every now and then when running, this is the same one I pulled (grade 2) back in December.  I've pulled each hammy in my life time, sucks when it happens. I do the following when I'm feeling things in my hammy, does it work, seems too and I feel better.

• Take a hot bath
  • stretch all muscles in the legs, lower back, gluts, etc
  • Hydrate, take some electrolytes 
  • get a massage, use a roller (the stick )
  • Chiropractic (regularly)

2008-08-25 3:00 PM

User image

Expert
central Iowa
I would probably get it checked out.  Hamstring injuries have been known to nag people for years.  Better to be safe than sorry.  Also, I pulled my hamstring earlier year and I definitely found that some activities are worse than others.  Specifically, biking was worse than running (which does make some sense since that's what I was doing when I injured it).
2008-08-25 8:13 PM

User image

Master

I pulled my hammy sprinting (playing soccer) and it felt like a steel cable getting tight.  I hobbled off to the sidelined where I proceeded to stretch (rip) my biceps femoris muscle.  I hobbled the next day but by lunch I was in the hospital barely able to move.  Being in the Navy I was prescribed what else...Motrin.  The next day I was in excruciating pain and went back to the hospital.  I was black and blue from my arse to my calf.  I finally got some real meds and by the time I had an MRI a 2cm tear was found along with 3 other smaller tears.  It sucked! Took 8 months to recover fully and I still get nervous.  Tri sports doesn't seem to effect it to much although I notice I slight tightness during pool workouts if I try to sprint (this weekend seeing my 50m sprint time thanks to am earlier post).  For me, I just need to give up sprinting sports which sucks,,,but at least I got tri.

Back to your point...lay off for the 5 days!  It is a precation yes...but worth it if you are nervous.

It hurts just thinking about it...

2008-08-25 9:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Niagara Falls, Ont

once again, i'm not a doctor, but i do play one on t.v........

find a bone-crusher that does A.R.T. and get them to assess it. i've had fantastic results to hamstring and quad injuries.

just my $0.02.....

2008-08-26 6:23 AM

User image

New user

Well, I hope this isn't close to the case with you, but what I always assumed was a chronic glute/hamstring pull ended up to be nerve pain from a herniated disc.

I am 3 weeks post surgery and wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Don't wait, get it checked out and treated.

G

2008-08-26 11:34 AM

User image

New Haven, CT
For me, a true pulled hamstring feels like someone stabbed you in the back of the leg.  When you try and walk you get a searing pain in your leg.  The bad part: once you pull it once they are more susceptible to future pulls.  Go see your MD immediately and get PT.  I've been through this more times than I care to enumerate, sorry.

2008-08-26 2:21 PM

User image

Expert
what's it feel like?

Mine was a pulling feel, then a burn, followed by my emitting a loud aaaaaooooouuuuuucch!! when it really hurt...This was followed by a step, hobble, step, hobble.

Agree on the military/motrin thing...I was active duty USAF.....I went to PT and they gave me a specific sequence of light stretching and a plan for very gradually increasing my running speeds. If I remember correctly, it took the better part of 4-6 mos before I did any sprint work. Even a year or two later, if I ran sprints I could feel where the injury occured and it made me hesitant to really go 100%.....It no longer bothers me at all...then again now that I am 42, I don't have a top end sprint anymore
2008-08-26 2:36 PM

Expert
Take a look at the area right below your butt cheek, and right above the back of your knee. Check for any bruises or knots, or soreness. If there are any, then it's a tear, although from your account it may just be a strain. If you're not going to see a doctor, then you may just want to swim for awhile to let it heal.
2008-08-26 3:09 PM

Extreme Veteran

OK,

Based on the descriptions here I am certain I do not have a pulled hamstring. I am going to eliminate  running this week and see how it is next week. Thanks for the descriptions.

chevy57

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What does pulled hamstring feel like? Rss Feed