General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Quick Running Improvement Plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-25 3:16 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Quick Running Improvement Plan

Hello everyone,

I just completed my first tri on the 16th of August (Sanford & Sun Sprint) and it was friggin' awesome. The swim went great, even doing the breaststroke most the time (3rd AG), ok bike (12th AG), and the Run (DFL AG).

I beat my goal of 1:30:00, but I would like to take another minute off or so for my next tri (9/13). Does anyone have any plans to just improve my running a little bit in the next couple of weeks? I know it's close and I'm not looking for any significant gains. Hell with a 32 minute 5K any gain is good.

Thanks for all your help. BT has been a big motivator for getting me through this first one. Now I'm freaking hooked!

Andy,

2008-08-25 4:19 PM
in reply to: #1626572

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: Quick Running Improvement Plan

Congrats on getting through your first tri. Sounds like you had fun.

Looking at your log it appears you somehow think that not running very much is a good way to train. You need to run to get better at running. There is no secret speedy plan to get past that. You've only run a bit over 27 miles in almost 2 months. You should be running that much every week at a bare minimum. However, you've done so little running that it may take a few months to build to that level safely. About all you can do for the upcoming race at this point is just force yourself to run as fast a pace as you can hold - AND run more between now and then.

2008-08-25 4:28 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
You gotta run more, plain and simple.  You don't have much logged but that could be the fact you are new here it appears.  But if you have only run 60 miles the last few months the last thing on your mind should be running faster.  Build a base.  Run 20-25 miles a week for 6 months and then throw in some speed work (very little though, maybe do some strides at that point).
2008-08-25 4:29 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
X2, if your logs are accurate you've run a total of 60 miles since April. Let me add that any recommendations that you do any kind of intense training like intervals should contain a warning of the risk of injury.
2008-08-25 4:31 PM
in reply to: #1626793

User image

Champion
Butler
the bear - 2008-08-25 4:29 PM X2, if your logs are accurate you've run a total of 60 miles since April. Let me add that any recommendations that you do any kind of intense training like intervals should contain a warning of the risk of injury.
X2. And take it from me as I always see to do things quickly and get hurt, it will happen.
2008-08-25 4:41 PM

User image

Regular

I agree running more is a definite must. My logs don't reflect everything I've done, but they aren't that far off. The last two weeks have been really bad though. A very close childhood friend died, @ the age of 22, and I had quite a bit to deal with.  It's been hard to balance school and be able to get a bunch of good workouts in three disciplines in.

I just ordered Jack Daniels Running Formula to help give me a little more structure and something to read. I was thinking some intervals (speedwork) might be good to throw in while still keeping my long slow runs involved.

I did my best to follow the couch to sprint plan. I think if you look my run time is pretty close to what some people put in. I just have never been able to cover a lot of distance in a short period of time. The horrible thing is a sub 6:00min mile was nothing in middle school. ARGH!

2008-08-25 4:47 PM
in reply to: #1626827

User image

Champion
Butler
kudude - 2008-08-25 4:41 PM

I was thinking some intervals (speedwork) might be good to throw in while still keeping my long slow runs involved.

Honestly, I would avoid this much right now.  Try to stay consitant for 6 months then throw in speedwork.  You could always pick up the pace for a bit during your runs but not very much at all. 
2008-08-25 5:11 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-25 5:16 PM

Extreme Veteran
Like everyone said there is NO quick fix, the only way to get better is to run consistently. I was in the same boat last year wanted to run faster on low weekly mileage and do intervals well guess what happened? injured! Over the Winter I just consistently ran and gradually increased my mileage with next to no speedwork untill I had about 6 months of consistent running under my belt. This approach had treated me much better! No injuries and although up untill recently I did hardly NO speedwork my times have increased dramatically over the course of a year.

Good luck and just keep at it!
2008-08-25 6:07 PM
in reply to: #1626827

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
kudude - 2008-08-25 3:41 PM

I just ordered Jack Daniels Running Formula to help give me a little more structure and something to read. I was thinking some intervals (speedwork) might be good to throw in while still keeping my long slow runs involved.

I have that book and don't recall where it says doing speedwork is a good idea when a person has almost no base. As has been mentioned previously, "Speedwork is icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet!"

What you're asking is akin to being a college freshman and asking how to graduate in a month's time. You haven't done the work! Do what's necessary and you should get the results, but there is no easy way.

BTW, sorry about your friend. That's tragic.

2008-08-25 6:16 PM

Regular
So sorry about your friend.

You just need to be more consistent in running to see gains. Sometimes life gets in the way, though, like you pointed out. The only thing that you could do from here until your race is to try and run a more often. I would think to keep these runs shorter/slower given you don't have a lot of base. Adding speed work will just make you so sore that you can't do the next workout. It usually takes a while of speed work (4-8 weeks) to see the gains from it as well. Just run more consistently with hopes that you will be more comfortable in your race = maybe a faster time.

2008-08-25 6:19 PM

I'll just be an echo here.  Your post is kinda like "I want a quick weight loss reduction plan."  True improvements don't happen like that. 

I started running (with NO prior base or experience) in late 2004.   Since my very first 5K in Jan 05, I've knocked off about 30 seconds per mile per year in most all distances.

Patience and consistency.

2008-08-25 6:27 PM

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
kudude - 2008-08-25 3:16 PM

I beat my goal of 1:30:00, but I would like to take another minute off or so for my next tri (9/13). Does anyone have any plans to just improve my running a little bit in the next couple of weeks? Andy,

I run lots and am still slower coming off the bike than I am with a stand alone 5K.  I know I need to practice more bike/run bricks at desired race pace to get faster.  You will too.

One thing I have noticed in myself, is if I am gassed coming off the bike (HR>LT whole way), the run is slower.  You could try spinning a bit the last mile or two to give yourself some legs on the run.  Not sure if the net outcome will be worth it, but experimentation isn't a bad thing   Rome wasn't built in a day, right?

2008-08-25 9:33 PM

Regular

Thanks for all the advice everybody.

I'm extremely happy with the gains I've made so far. When I started running earlier this year I couldn't run for more than two minutes. Tonight for an exercise I was able to do 10min/mile for twenty minutes and I felt pretty good. By the way the Rome wasn't built in a day is a pretty friggin good way to put it.

Anyone have any other suggested readings for running?

2008-08-26 9:13 AM

Hey -- just wanted to throw in my two-cents worth for what you can do before your Sept event:

• Work up to running the 5K distance.  You may have to throw in a couple walk breaks but get to that 3 mile mark before you start your cooldown.
  • Practice some bike to run bricks.  When you get done biking, immediately start the run workout.  This may be a run/walk mix, but I recommend doing a mile of this after the bike workout.
  • Once you can run the 5K distance without stopping, then you can mix in some *moderate* speedwork.  After about a 10 minute warm-up, run for 30 seconds faster and 30 seconds slower, and repeat this 5 times (building up to 10 repeats).  The faster portion should not be a sprint, but just a moderate increase in speed that you can maintain.  Then run slower for 10 minutes to cool down.
  • Longterm, start doing a longer run each week, which may be 4 or 5 miles to begin.  Maybe sign up for a running race that is a couple months out (like a 5 mile race) so you will have a specific goal to train for. 

Don't get discouraged if you don't see any big improvements in three weeks -- stick with it and you will get better!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Quick Running Improvement Plan Rss Feed