Capital District Triathlon Club
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 00m 23s
Overall Rank = 109/191
Age Group = Female 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/11
Pre-race routine:

Had a bagel and peanut butter for breakfast, with plenty of watered down gatordade. At the whole bagel for a change. Left the kids at home this time and was relaxed getting to the race. Walked around getting body marked and timing chip. Had about 3/4 of a granola bar about 15 minutes before my heat.
Event warmup:

Walked and stretched. I like to save my energy!
Swim
  • 18m 23s
  • 800 yards
  • 02m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

There was no rope between the bouys and I had a really hard time navigating. On the first leg, I was constantly drifting to the left, over the invisible rope, therefore drifting way off course. I definitely added unneccessary distance. I had to constantly sight which really slowed be down. Odd, since I normally swim pretty straight. Overall, a little disappointed in my swim. This was supposed to be my strong leg.
What would you do differently?:

Beg for a rope between bouys? Swim straight?
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Pretty good for me, I thought. I had a hard time getting the sand off my wet feet instead of wasting time in transition. Fortunatley, the sand in my socks didn't affect me too much later on. Also, this was the first time I used my Yankz! I love them!
Bike
  • 1h 11m 5s
  • 18 miles
  • 15.19 mile/hr
Comments:

Before the race, I had hoped to finish in 1:05:00 which was a little disappointing. But Kevin only beat me by less than 4 minutes on the bike so I couldn't have been all that bad! I saw a lot of people walking up the first big hill so I was glad I rode the entre way. Also, a car ignored the cop at the intersection and I actally had to slam on the brakes to avoid crashing. That was fun. My biggest complaint though was just the amount of road kill, including one very mangled deer that I literally had to swerve into traffic to avoid. What a choice - running into a car vs deer guts...

I didn't realize until I got there that I took the wrong water bottle it didn't fit on my bike!

Don't screw up the water bottle! Man, was I thirsty...
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Took a longer breather to chug some water/gatorage. Hopefully, if I don't screw up the water bottle again, I could cut this down.
Run
  • 28m
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I really think the run muct have been short because there's no way I could have done 28:00.

Really thirsty by the time I got to the water station. It was getting hotter and the lack of hydration on the bike was hurting a little.

Biggest problem was just not running the course prior to the race. I held back a bit, not knowing if I needed to save any energy for the end. If I had known, I could have gone a little harder.

Well, train more for starters. Always practive the course at least once prior to the race!
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with Kevin. Grabbed a banana before heading for home to get the kids and go to Troy Brew Pub for lunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The unexpected and my usual, dehydration.

Event comments:

Lots of great volunteers, I'll say that much. I wouldn't have liked another drink station on the run. I've seen more drink stations on a 5K with no swim or bike beforehand...

Not much going on after the race. Bagels, oranges and bananas but that's it.

Last updated: 2008-07-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:23 | 800 yards | 02m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 49/191
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Triangular. The race director also mentioned that the course was measuring closer to 0.6 miles, which makes some sense since my time was SO crappy.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:54
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:11:05 | 18 miles | 15.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 120/191
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back. Through the park, and then roadways.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal