General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Healthy foods/Calories and recommended diets Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-04 11:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Subject: Healthy foods/Calories and recommended diets

I am new to Triathlons and have recently started training.  My beginning weight at the start of my training prgram was 257.  I would like to drop between 60 and 70 pounds before the spring.  Can anyone make suggestions on grocery list items, must haves, avoids..etc....  Not real sure what my total calorie intake, fat gms, carbs, etc...  I would like to keep a healthy variety so I dont get bored or discouraged with the same ole foods.

Any suggestions?

2008-09-04 12:11 PM
in reply to: #1649373

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Healthy foods/Calories and recommended diets
Well, that's hard for anyone to give you an exact number on but key things to look at are portions.   Also add more produce to your diet.  Just about anyone (including me) can do more of this.  Instead of meat, starch veggie meals think about small meat, small starch (preferably whole grain less processed stuff) and 2 veggies.  Or take out the starch occasionally and replace with a starchy veggie like corn.  Or not at all.  One thing that helped me was logging every single thing that went into my mouth for awhile and adding up those calories.  Don't estimate weigh out your meats and cheeses and such so you know exactly how much you're getting.  A standard meat serving is the size of a deck of cards! 
2008-09-04 2:33 PM
in reply to: #1649444

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
I lost 70 lbs in about 6 months by reducing food portions, eating frequent small meals, eliminating soda, fried food, fast food, sweats (occasional reward), increasing fruits and veggies, and 30 - 60 minutes of cardio (zone 1 - 2).  Not sure that works for everyone but worked perfect for me.

Edited by csharp1171 2008-09-04 2:33 PM
2008-09-04 2:40 PM
in reply to: #1650087

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Thanks for the info, I already do all of the above.  I am looking more for suggestions as far as variations in my shopping list.  I am frankly tired of the same foods over and over.  There are some who swear by certain types of foods, especially during certain timeframes.  I guess what I am trying to say is I am trying to get the most bang for my buck, feel satisfied and still meet all my nutritional needs without eating the same foods at every meal.  I hope this makes sense.
2008-09-04 2:54 PM
in reply to: #1650132

User image

Mountain View, CA
Could you tell us about what your current shopping list and/or meal plans look like? Without knowing what's on your shopping list, we can't know whether or not what we suggest will add variety.
2008-09-04 5:03 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO

You know one thing that helped widen my horizons (and I should do again) is I went through a period where I would look at the produce section and find something that I'd never prepared before.  Parsnips, beets, brussel sprouts and radishes (all of which I'd had at some point but never prepared myself) have all become favorites now because of this.  With starches quinoa, soba noodles, barley, udon noodles and polenta have all been added to my rotations because I just tried them finally.  I still have a number of grains I want to try on the list as well.  Take a look at the bulk bins at your market, find one that looks interesting, buy just a bit then come home and google for recipes. 

For proteins think beyond your typical meat source and go to legumes.  A great source or heirloom beans is www.ranchogordo.com.  Beans are very versatile and so many different varieties and they freeze well.  Cook up up then freeze in usuable portions for quick meals.  

Think in terms of different cuisines as well.  Do you normally cook American style?  So look for some Asian style recipes.  Or Italian or Greek or Indian or Mexican.  Remember a lot of recipes can be adjusted to make healthier.  Unless they are already lightened most of the time you can cut the oil/butter in half at least.  Sugar can be reduced.  Dairy can have lighter (although I don't do fat free dairy unless it's milk) versions.  Sub plain yogurt for oil in some baking recipes. 

A favorite source for recipes for me is www.cookinglight.com.  

2008-09-04 5:15 PM
in reply to: #1650188

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS

Sure, I will just use today as an example but it's mostly the same with minor variations in my meat choices and veggie choices.

Breakfast (6 am)- Banana, special K w/ fat free milk and a cup of joe

Snack #1(930 am)- String cheese (indiv. serving) and 1/2 an apple

Lunch(12 pm)- Lean Quisine (Tuscan chicken with mixed veggies) and 6 oz low fat yogurt

Snack #2(3 pm)- 1/2 apple, another string cheese and bout a half cup of roasted (unsalted)almonds

Dinner (later 6 pm)- Grilled chicken breast, green veggie and a baked sweet potatoe (no butter)

Snack #3 (sometime before bed)- I usually have a protien drink (whey protien)

My times vary depending on how busy I am and what time I am able to get my workout in.  I usually try to get my workout within an hour of snack #2.  I also drink about 190 - 200 ounces of water per day (thats .75 ounces per pound of body weight).  If I am feeling sluggish before or during my workout I will add a sports drink in there for the extra carbs.

2008-09-04 5:25 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO

Wow!  That's a lot of water! 

It does sound to me that you've got a reasonably healthy diet but yeah, it sounds boring.  When you think meat, veggie, starch think of recipes that combine them in different ways rather than always being 3 dish meal.  So, maybe a stew with lots of veggies or a pasta with veggies and roasted chicken or a stir fry.  Also, I actually think you might be eating too few calories.  How much are you taking in?  How much are you burning?  You don't want to put your body in starvation mode.  I like this calculator and use the advanced options choosing the Harris-Benedict calculation which is what an RD friend advised me to use.  http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

2008-09-04 10:17 PM
in reply to: #1650796

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS

Thanks alot, that is some really good info.  I am still adjusting my calorie intake to try and get it where I need it to still lose weight and get leaner without sacrificing muscle and performance.  I am burning about 3200 per day give or take, and I would like to settle in around 2200 consumed...... I was told I shouldn't have more than a 1000 calorie deficit, that way I am losing a oound every 3 1/2 days, no more than 2 lbs a week.  Does that sound about right?

Great advice on the beans, I will check tem out.  Also, tonight I made a variation of a homemade soup with fresh green veggies, carrots, red potatoes and some ground sirloin.  Yummy!  I broke it down and froze the leftovers in glad storage containers for later.

Again, thanks for all the advice.

2008-09-05 11:46 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO
The key here is that nobody can give  you your body's exact formula.  And just as you get settled into a formula that works for you your body will need a change. Either you've dropped enough weight that you'll need to drop calories or you'll increase your training and you'll need to increase calories or whatever the variation will be.  That's where I'm at right now, still trying to figure out what changes I need to make to get back to my 5lb a month average loss. 
2008-09-06 12:25 AM

User image

Mountain View, CA
I second pretty much everything COSkiGirl said. Good advice, that. I'll toss in my experience, which has been a more structured variation on going to the grocery store and buying something you haven't tried before: every week I get a box of mixed fruits and veggies. I don't get to choose what goes into it, I get what the farm gives me (whatever's ripe that day). As a result I've been trying all sorts of vegetables and recipes that I wouldn't otherwise make for myself, and I've found some real keeper recipes. It keeps me on my toes and definitely encourages me to try new things. Some have been hits (kale!) and some have been misses (collard greens), but overall I'm quite pleased with the experience.

So, try some veggies that you wouldn't ordinarily buy. Change up the fruit that you have at breakfast. (I change mine roughly once a week, depending on what I'm getting in my farm box.) Instead of having an apple every day, take advantage of the glorious peaches that are in season right now. Or, if they're starting to come in where you live (they are here), pears.

If you're bored with chicken, try a lean cut of a different meat (beef, pork, turkey, etc.) or some plant-based protein (tofu, black beans, chickpeas, lentils etc.). I like to put black beans or chickpeas in chopped salads with fresh vegetables and a light vinaigrette. Try roasting or sauteing/stir-frying the chicken rather than grilling it. Or if you do grill it, try marinating it or using a spice rub to mix up the flavors. Then vary the presentation by wrapping it in a tortilla with some salsa and grilled peppers, or tossing it in a salad or with some pasta and veggies, or dipping it in a peanut sauce with some cucumber salad on the side... you get the idea.

My favorite website for recipes: Epicurious, which includes recipes from Gourmet and Bon Appetit as well as Cooking Light and a few other magazines. I also like Eating Well, which is more health-minded than Gourmet or Bon Appetit.

Most of all, don't be afraid to experiment with new techniques, cuisines, and flavors. You might surprise yourself! Good luck.

ETA: It occurs to me that it's easy for me to say experiment! try new things! etc. because I love to cook, but seriously, it's possible to spice up your weekly menu without cooking things that you dread or spending hours preparing dinner. Doing a bit of digging helps, and planning ahead helps, but in the end, just find out what works for you. And let us know if you'd like recipe ideas.

Edited by puellasolis 2008-09-06 12:28 AM

2008-09-06 8:45 AM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL

Just thought i would throw in one of my favorite and yummy tasting recipes for you: It also freezes really well! I amke a bunch and freeze individual batches in tupperware

Vegetarian Chili (or you can add chicken breast cooked to it as well)

2 diced zucchini

2 diced yellow squash

2 diced carrots

2 diced red bell peppers

1 onion diced

1 tsp galric

1/4 cup chili powder

1/8 cup cumin

1/8 cup dried oregano

1 large can diced tomatoes

2 cans dark red kidney beans 

1/2 cup water

1 cup cooked bulgur wheat

Sautee the onions in a little olive oil, add the carrots, peppers, zucchini and squash and saute until soft, then add garlic.  Stir for a few moments and add spices until they coat the veggies.  Add the tomatoes and beans and simmer on low heat for 30 monites.  Season iwth salt and add the bulgur wheat.  Toss in chicken if you want some protien.  I love this meal it is so filling and you get great veggies and grains.  Experiment iwth the amount of spices...I jsut guestimated what i use sicne I don't ever measure a thing

2008-09-06 11:18 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Just thought of something else that might help you.  I LOVE getting different seasoning blends from my favorite spice shops to vary what I make.  So even though I might be making another chicken breast I can really mix up the flavors.  My two favorite spice shops that you can order online from are www.penzeys.com and www.savoryspiceshop.com. 
2008-09-06 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS

Thanks for all the great ideas, I just bought a recipe book for the South Beach Diet, although I am not following the diet, it contains some really good balance nutrition recipes.  I will experiment with some of them and will post a couple of my favorites.  I spent my childhood growing up on a farm so there are very few veggies that I don't eat, cucumbers being one of them.

I guess my biggest poblem is that most of my adult athleticism has been "bodybuilding" and bodybuilders have a diffeent perception of food and nutrition.  They view a lot of fruits and veggies as being bad because of the carb content and completely avoid breads, starches and pasta.  So I am having to fight this mental block I have about what "good" nutrition really is, expecially when it comes to being an endurance athlete instead of a bodybuilder.  I have to realize that not all carbs are bad! lol

Again, thank you all for your excellent advice.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Healthy foods/Calories and recommended diets Rss Feed