General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip Pain During/After Long Runs. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-29 1:06 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Hip Pain During/After Long Runs.

Well, it's not really a "pain" but more of an ache that comes on when I hit about 10 miles or more.

It doesn't require a change to my stride or slow me down, but I feel an ache in my hips (mostly the left hip) and it lasts for a day or two after.

Is this just part of a long run?  Or is there some streches or strength excercises I could do to help.

2008-09-29 1:13 PM
in reply to: #1703645

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Hip Pain During/After Long Runs.
If possible, have someone run with you and watch how your left foot strikes.  Could be a bio-mechanical issue that might be able to be corrected with shoes.  But that is just a guess.
2008-09-29 1:13 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

If it is just aches on the same level as the rest of the body aches that come along with the Long Run, try doing some post-run stretches that open up your hips. (Just sit with your legs crossed for a few minutes if you don't feel like stretching) If that makes you feel better, it is probably just an ache.

Because it affects your running, it may (Or May Not) be something more depending on where the pain is.

If it is truely in your hip (On your side at the top of your quad) and not in your glute, it could either be Bursitis or ITBS. (Yea, the ITB runs up to your hip and can affect it also)

If it is more towards your glutes (Right under your back pocket) it could be your Piriformis. This is sometimes problematic because the Sciatic Nerve is affected by the Piriformis in some people and can radiate pain down the back of the legs and even into the feet.

I am lucky in that when my Piriformis is unhappy, it does not radiate

Edited by WaterDog66 2008-09-29 1:14 PM
2008-09-29 1:22 PM
in reply to: #1703674

User image

Sensei
Sin City
WaterDog66 - 2008-09-29 11:13 AM

If it is just aches on the same level as the rest of the body aches that come along with the Long Run, try doing some post-run stretches that open up your hips. (Just sit with your legs crossed for a few minutes if you don't feel like stretching) If that makes you feel better, it is probably just an ache.

Because it affects your running, it may (Or May Not) be something more depending on where the pain is.

If it is truely in your hip (On your side at the top of your quad) and not in your glute, it could either be Bursitis or ITBS. (Yea, the ITB runs up to your hip and can affect it also)

If it is more towards your glutes (Right under your back pocket) it could be your Piriformis. This is sometimes problematic because the Sciatic Nerve is affected by the Piriformis in some people and can radiate pain down the back of the legs and even into the feet.

I am lucky in that when my Piriformis is unhappy, it does not radiate

Good questions.  It IS my hip.  And I would also rank it in the same amount of soreness that the rest of my body feels after a long run.

But the reason I bring it up, is that the right leg doesn't get it as bad (it's not equal amounts of ache).  However, the right hamstring/glute usually feel tighter than the left!  And it seems consistent during every long run -  Left hip, right hamstring and glute feel more sore than the rest of the body.

Up to 10 miles, not a problem.  Over that, it start to come on.

I think it just due to over two hours of pounding and something I wouldn't worry too much.  But I worry if at 12-15 miles it's aching, what's going to happen when I hit 20-25 during a race...  I don't want to do any damage.

2008-09-29 1:30 PM
in reply to: #1703711

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Aikidoman - 2008-09-29 11:22 AM

I think it just due to over two hours of pounding and something I wouldn't worry too much.  But I worry if at 12-15 miles it's aching, what's going to happen when I hit 20-25 during a race...  I don't want to do any damage.

If it is just Muscle Soreness, it will get better as your training progresses and your muscles get stronger. If it is some sort of inflamation of the tendons or joints, it may be cause for concern. (Keep an eye on it)

But just know this, Mile 20-26.2 are not usually expected to be that comfortable for most marathoners

2008-09-29 1:38 PM

User image

Runner

The left side may be sore due to overcompensating for the tight right side.

It doesn't sound like a serious issue yet, so maybe some stretching to address the tightness.

2008-09-29 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
B'ham
I was having pain in what I believe to be the Piriformis, left hip pocket area, after certain runs too.  I think it was more brought on by increased pace, rather than distance, and was causing some tingling down the outside of my leg.  After a treatment at the chiropractor last Thursday I was able to run a half-marathon yesterday at a pace more consistent with my pain-free runs and the hip/glute is ok today.
2008-09-29 2:45 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-09-29 2:46 PM
in reply to: #1703826

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-09-29 4:53 PM

Extreme Veteran
Toledo, Ohio
Are you only running on one side of the road? Have you tried to mix it up? How old are your running shoes?
2008-09-29 5:53 PM
in reply to: #1704107

Expert
B'ham
betsy - 2008-09-29 12:46 PM

cadmus - 2008-09-29 2:45 PM I was having pain in what I believe to be the Piriformis, left hip pocket area, after certain runs too.  I think it was more brought on by increased pace, rather than distance, and was causing some tingling down the outside of my leg.  After a treatment at the chiropractor last Thursday I was able to run a half-marathon yesterday at a pace more consistent with my pain-free runs and the hip/glute is ok today.

What did the chiropractor do or say what the issue was?

She basically attributed it to muscle tightness putting pressure on a nerve causing the tingling.  She really didn't do much to identify the cause and I left feeling like she'd only treated the symptom.  This was my first trip to a chiro and it turned out she was an acupuncturist as well.  She actually treated me w/ acupuncture and I walked out feeling good after limping in (I know, I didn't think it would work either, but it did). 

My belief is that it was caused by increased pace, which translated to a different heel strike and a change in the transfer of force. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip Pain During/After Long Runs. Rss Feed