General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie bike shopping have a few Q's Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-22 1:26 AM

User image

Regular
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Subject: Newbie bike shopping have a few Q's
Hey guys hopefully I can keep asking questions on here trying to get the hang of things =)

I went to my first bike shop since I am in need of a bike. He was telling me that i'd be better off getting a road bike and switching to tri bars for tri and road bars to normally ride with. I am looking into spending around 900-1300 and he was showing me the Cannondale R700 56cm which was $1199. Took a test ride seemed like I could really get that thing moving (but I have nothing much to base it off since I used to race BMX which is alot different)

I would like to have a cool looking bike as well as something I can do miles and miles on. I like that bike shop because they do weekly rides and free maintenance and fitting, etc.. But on the other hand I do work hard for my money and if I can get more for it on ebay or such please help me with a few options =X

btw I am 5'11 1/2 180lbs if that matters
Jason
Newbie shopper

2005-02-22 3:05 AM
in reply to: #120811

Subject: RE: Newbie bike shopping have a few Q's
Thanks for this post. I am also 5' 11 1/2", 180 lbs and in search of a bike. Unfortunately I have the same questions as you and not answers for you. Little difference, I live in Egypt and will have a little more trouble getting something, but maybe we can share information.

Kevin
2005-02-22 3:11 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
I just bought a R700 about six weeks ago and love it. Had a similar discussion with the guys at the LBS - they convinced me that a road bike made more sense for me right now as it would be more comfortable for building base mileage and for participating in group rides. I did mount a set of clip-on aerobars on mine.
Although you may be able to find a new or used bike for a better price online, the best argument I can make for buying from my LBS shop was the time they spent fitting the bike for me.
Mark

PS - I got my R700 the Charcoal Gray frame - very cool and stealthy looking!
2005-02-22 5:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dorset
road bike...no question, Tri-bikes are so specific, and unless u live in ultra-flat land u are going to find it hard going. get a road bike, and explain u want to add clipons so u can get a saddle that will allow you to come forward more (many cheaper saddle dont allow you to move them much) and the correct stem length. It may even be that u end up with a road bike and 2 dif. stems, one which is shorter when u have a flat and fast course when u will be down on the bars the most

but i am no expert btw...
2005-02-22 5:59 AM
in reply to: #120826

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

ginger ninja - 2005-02-22 5:35 AM road bike...no question, Tri-bikes are so specific, and unless u live in ultra-flat land u are going to find it hard going....

Not to be a contrarian (since we already have a few of those in our ranks), but since when does elevation have any bearing on why to buy a roadie versus tri-specific bike?  Tri bikes are typically faster and easier to "get going" due to their aggressive riding position.

If you can only have one bike, and plan on joining in with group rides (with roadies), then by all means, a roadie makes the most sense.  It is the most practical.  However, a tri bike is faster and better suited for triathlon racing, whatever the elevation.  If you plan on group rides with other triathletes, then maybe you should look at a tri specific bike.  If you are buying this bike for triathlons, I'd probably urge you to look again at a tri specific bike.  I don't go on many group rides, most of my training takes place all by my lonesome.  I have both a roadie and a tri bike and the roadie hasn't seen the pavement in over a year.

The issue about group rides has to do with the stability and "twitchiness" of a tri bike.  Because you're typically farther forward on the tri bike, they can be harder to handle and very sensitive to weight changes or slight shifts in your position.  Roadies don't really care for tri-bikes in their peletons for this reason. 

2005-02-22 6:25 AM
in reply to: #120827

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dorset
yes true, but surely depends on what u want to do with it, for technical courses and training tri-bikes, as you said are too twitchy. this is only based on my experience in the UK. Here no-one i know has a tri bike for training and the only person i know who has one for racing is an IM person. most UK people use road bikes with clipons, but that could be due to the courses generally being quite up and down and technical as we dont have so many vast expanses of flat road, being that u can fit the UK in lake michegan and all

2005-02-22 8:25 AM

User image

Regular
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
So would you say that the cannondale r700 is a good start for a beginner? I just don't want to buy a bike and want a new one right away i'd rather spend a lil more initially =) It seems redcorvette loves his I do like the fact that the local shop the guy was willing to ride with me get me used to the roads, whatever I needed, etc...

I think for me I wouldn't be into the real long bike rides for a while... 20-30 mile rides is what I see being the norm for a while during the mixed training
Thanks for all your info guys,

Jason
2005-02-22 8:45 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

The fact is that no matter what bike you buy, you will want another faster sleeker more up to date model in the future.  As for the road/tri bike debate, I agree with both camps!!  A road bike will be easier to ride in groups and is better suited for hills.  A tri bike is built for speed BUT for short rides of 30/40 miles will suit one perfectly.  I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with the differences between road and tri bikes (see articel below) in order to decide which would be best for you. You could, of course, get the Cervélo Soloist (see site below), which is a road/tri.  At 2000USD, it is the perfect bike for triatletes looking to buy one bike for training and competing. As for a "cool looking" bike, that does not necessarily translate into a great bike (see "Melissa" article below - 000048".

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/bikes/difference.shtml

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/soloist.shtml

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/editorials/0000048.shtml

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Newbie bike shopping have a few Q's Rss Feed