General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for advice on coaching Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-10-12 8:26 PM

User image

Regular
Waltham
Subject: Looking for advice on coaching

I just got into the sport of triathlon this summer and finally completed my first sprint last weekend ... and I am totally hooked!!!  I've never considered myself much of an endurance athlete, but I was pleasantly surprised that my swim and bike helped make up for my weakness in the run.  I love "training" vs. just "working out" - yet I didn't follow any specific program in preparation for my tri, despite the fact that I'm more of a type A personality.  I was just recently reading a thread where BTers were discussing their training plans and many people have plans through next summer!  wow.  So... this got me to thinking that I need some direction as to where to go from here!  The winter seems so long right now, but I'm thinking that if I make the most of it, I may really see results come next season.  For example - I'm sure I'd benefit from a swimming lesson or two to improve my technique.  And, I'd LOVE to have someone who knows what they're doing help me out with a program to follow.

Ok, that was a little long-winded, but point being... anyone have any advice as to coaches/coaching services available either locally or online? (And by locally - it could be Cape, South Shore, or Boston area... or elsewhere I guess.)  I'd love to have a personalized program, someone to help me plan races for next year, maybe some nutrition advice, and maybe some performance testing type stuff done.  

Any info would be very greatly appreciated!!!  Thanks.

2008-10-13 9:37 PM
in reply to: #1737329

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Looking for advice on coaching

Jeff Godin, PhD (bvhponline.com) is a physiologist and endurance athlete - he and his wife do triathlons, ultras....

I found him when I wanted to do VO2max and LT with a real cart (hospital type).  I worked with him one on one all last year (my first year).

I plan to continue testing with him, and I consider myself part of his club, but for financial and other reasons I am doing an online program this year.

This site has TONS - and you could make it work with the offseason plans, training plans, bridge plans...

and with the Gold plan you get feedback from Mike Ricci et al

other sites that have good plans (via the grapevine) ironguides and endurance nation.  I would check them out too.

good luck!

Jeff is great - I really like working with him.

2008-10-14 5:25 AM

User image

Regular
Waltham
Thanks for the great info TriToy!  I'll check it all out.
2008-10-21 4:57 PM

People seem to like Ali Winslow (aliwinslowsports.com) and Katherine Schwab is really good. Katherine's prices seem very reasonable (http://www.bigdreamsfitness.com/ is her site) and even a really good value.

I worked with Katherine last spring and she was nothing but great. Very accessible and also really listened and customized the plan.

If you have any questions send me a PM.

-Davidh
2008-10-21 8:15 PM

User image

Regular
Waltham

Thanks Davidh.  I had found Ali's website, but I'll have to check out Katherine's.  I'm still on the fence about making the financial investment of a coach for my first real tri season vs. "self-coaching" with the knowledge I gain from Joe Friel's "Triathlete's Training Bible."  

2008-10-21 10:06 PM
in reply to: #1757915

User image

Champion
New York, NY

Tonight was the first night of Ali's bike trainer class (held at Landry's in Boston).

You can do the class as a drop in if you don't want to do every week - might give you a feel for how she works.

I did her classes last winter and I think it is why my biking is so strong....

2008-10-24 9:43 AM
in reply to: #1758203

User image

Beantown
TriToy - 2008-10-21 11:06 PM

Tonight was the first night of Ali's bike trainer class (held at Landry's in Boston).

You can do the class as a drop in if you don't want to do every week - might give you a feel for how she works.

I did her classes last winter and I think it is why my biking is so strong....

Friend-of-Harpoon and I are doing Ali's swim class starting Monday at 6:30 AM at BU.  Same set-up as the biking - you can buy all classes (5 wks) or drop in.  I'll report back Monday, too!

2008-10-24 11:51 AM

User image

Expert
Cambridge, MA
How's Ali's biking class?  Would you recommend it for an occasional drop in?  Or do the weeks really build on each other?
2008-11-04 8:57 AM

User image

Beantown
Hi - i forgot to write after Ali's first swim class... so now I've gone to 2 and they do progress but there are 4 lanes with multiple skill-levels so she'll access you and pop you into the lane suited for you're level. I highly recommend it!
2008-11-04 9:02 AM

User image

Regular
Planning to take Ali's cycling course tomorrow morning and will provide an update in the afternoon.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking for advice on coaching Rss Feed