General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Turkey Tri -- San Dimas, CA Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-10-15 10:01 PM

Riverside, CA
Subject: Turkey Tri -- San Dimas, CA
Anybody doing this one in late November?

2008-10-15 10:08 PM
in reply to: #1745932

User image

Veteran
Wrong Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Turkey Tri -- San Dimas, CA

I'm doing it...despite the fact that I despise the swim venue, lol...  I know at least one other BT'er that's in as well...

- John

2008-10-16 10:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
Thinking about it ... what's so bad about the swim?  Man-made lake?
2008-10-16 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1746929

User image

Veteran
Wrong Beach, CA

Poster Nutbag - 2008-10-16 8:07 AM Thinking about it ... what's so bad about the swim?  Man-made lake?

Not sure what the actual course is for the Turkey Tri swim, but for the Bonelli Olympic, the entire back straight was a jungle of dense, slimy green algae that was literally in your face and you had to stroke though.  I mean, this stuff was really not all that different from if they had stapled mats of fiberglass insulation to the bottom of the lake and let them suspend like an ultra-dense kelp forest.  Couple that with very warm H2O temps and you've got all the makings of a potentially terrible swim.  Your mileage may vary, but my experience with Puddingstone Reservoir was not a good one.  I'll still do the race though - certainly not bad enough to make me bag the race.  Oh, BTW, the water was not the cleanest either - that may self rectify now that usage is down and the temps have started dropping - I guess we'll see on Thanxgiving weekend.

-John

2008-10-16 11:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
That sounds awful!
2008-10-16 2:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Surf City USA Huntington Beach, Calif.
I'm doing it with a couple of friends at work. I did it last year. Water was chilly and I never warmed up for the entire event but it was fun. I don't recall any slime or sludge during the swim. It seemed alot longer than a 1/2 mile though.

2008-10-16 8:46 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Water's murky and the south shore course did have an awful lot of algae to swim through (not so true for tris run off the north shore), but it's certainly less difficult than an ocean swim (and more fun than a pool swim, for that matter).

My wife, Liz ("rhyannon" here on BT, but she almost never posts), will be doing the race. I'll be hangin' out, jockstrapping.
2008-10-17 9:35 AM

User image

Regular
Glendale
I'll be doing this one...my first tri ever.  Not sure I picked the best tri to do for the first time but it's close to home. 
2008-10-17 3:37 PM
in reply to: #1749413

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
chowbisou - 2008-10-17 7:35 AM

I'll be doing this one...my first tri ever.  Not sure I picked the best tri to do for the first time but it's close to home. 

Good luck! Haven't done this race, but most of the other events at Bonelli Park attract a lot of first-timers (although all the others are put on by a different promoter than this one).

If you have questions that morning, my wife, Liz, is always a friendly/helpful face in transition. Light brown hair and should be pretty easy to spot: Disney Tri Team ("Team Disney") tri top, "USA Triathlon" logo wetsuit (usually aren't many of those), a lt. blue & white Novara Carema road bike, and a red & grey Disney-team-branded TYR transition bag. She usually has extra supplies in her bag that people tend to forget or not think of so don't hesitate to seek her out if you have any last second freak outs. (And she almost always likes to chat with people, too, so even if you don't need anything, feel free to say "Hi" if you recognize her from this description.)

For that matter, I'll be hanging around all day (not racing) and happy to help out, too, but I don't know what I'll be wearing...
2008-10-22 5:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

Okay, I'm officially in.

Todd, will you be wearing a Jeopardy t-shirt?  

2008-10-22 6:10 PM
in reply to: #1750658

User image

Regular
Glendale

tcovert - 2008-10-17 1:37 PM
chowbisou - 2008-10-17 7:35 AM I'll be doing this one...my first tri ever.  Not sure I picked the best tri to do for the first time but it's close to home. 
Good luck! Haven't done this race, but most of the other events at Bonelli Park attract a lot of first-timers (although all the others are put on by a different promoter than this one). If you have questions that morning, my wife, Liz, is always a friendly/helpful face in transition. Light brown hair and should be pretty easy to spot: Disney Tri Team ("Team Disney" tri top, "USA Triathlon" logo wetsuit (usually aren't many of those), a lt. blue & white Novara Carema road bike, and a red & grey Disney-team-branded TYR transition bag. She usually has extra supplies in her bag that people tend to forget or not think of so don't hesitate to seek her out if you have any last second freak outs. (And she almost always likes to chat with people, too, so even if you don't need anything, feel free to say "Hi" if you recognize her from this description.) For that matter, I'll be hanging around all day (not racing) and happy to help out, too, but I don't know what I'll be wearing...

Thanks, I haven't had a chance to check this thread until now.  There will be open swim and transition clinics on Nov 15th and 23rd.  I'm planning to attend the one on the 23rd so I will at least be somewhat prepared for the actual event.  There will also be a pre-race review on November 29th which I probably will attend.  I will keep an eye open for your wife...I don't know what I'll be wearing just yet but will be shopping very soon for a trisuit!  My road bike is a blue Scattante.  I'm sure I will be the last one running since I'm such a slow runner (I've been awful about training for that too!).  Thanks for the heads up re your wife, I appreciate it.

2008-10-23 11:36 AM
in reply to: #1760217

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Poster Nutbag - 2008-10-22 3:23 PM

Okay, I'm officially in.

Todd, will you be wearing a Jeopardy t-shirt?  

LOL...That would be fun...but, sadly, no...contestants get a tote bag, but not a t-shirt...

(If the weather doesn't suck too badly, I'm most likely to be wearing a Vineman t-shirt, actually.)
2008-10-27 1:04 PM

New user

so a friend and i decided to sign up for this race.  it will be my fourth race and his second.  any advice on the running portion of the course from anyone who has done this one before?  i read all about the algae in the water and the crummy conditions on bike portion, but those are my stong events so I'm certain I can get through those no problem.  I'm really more interested in seeing what the hills are like on the run course and if I need to adjust my training for the next 4 weeks.  thanks!!!

2008-10-27 2:58 PM
in reply to: #1768017

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
BRinSM - 2008-10-27 11:04 AM

so a friend and i decided to sign up for this race.  it will be my fourth race and his second.  any advice on the running portion of the course from anyone who has done this one before?  i read all about the algae in the water and the crummy conditions on bike portion, but those are my stong events so I'm certain I can get through those no problem.  I'm really more interested in seeing what the hills are like on the run course and if I need to adjust my training for the next 4 weeks.  thanks!!!

Most of the hills are pretty short, but there'll be one fairly long one. Looking at the course map, it appears that the run will be the same as at the Bonelli Olympic Distance race, minus the roughly two mile out-and-back by the airport. If they run it the same direction as the BOD (clockwise around the lake) then there's a bit of a gradual climb early (nothing major), then a nice long downhill after you cross the dam. After that, there's a mixture of trail and paved surfaces--starting with one very short steep section (I've seen people walking it both times I've raced there, which surprises me a little because it is short)--paralleling the north shore of the lake. After that you turn south adjacent to the airport and there should be one decent hill after that and one uphill grade on the road back into the park.

Of course the map has the little running figures along the course oriented counter-clockwise, so who knows...

Anyhow, no mountains or anything like that...just rolling terrain through lots of the course. A couple short stretches of trail are kinda bad in terms of surface...at the BOD, there was a spot where you almost needed to ford a stream...very muddy.
2008-10-27 4:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA
Very nice use of the word "ford".  Not that there's all that many uses in the first place ...

Edited by Poster Nutbag 2008-10-27 4:16 PM
2008-10-27 7:58 PM
in reply to: #1768597

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Poster Nutbag - 2008-10-27 2:15 PM

Very nice use of the word "ford".  Not that there's all that many uses in the first place ...

Thanks. It does put me in mind of the old Groucho/Chico "Why a duck?" routine, though:

Groucho: Suppose you were out horseback riding and came to that stream and wanted to ford over there, you couldn't make it. Too deep.

Chico: But what do you want with a Ford when you gotta horse?

2008-10-30 2:45 PM
in reply to: #1760276

chowbisou - 2008-10-22 6:10 PM

chowbisou - 2008-10-17 7:35 AM I'll be doing this one...my first tri ever.  Not sure I picked the best tri to do for the first time but it's close to home. 
Good luck! Haven't done this race, but most of the other events at Bonelli Park attract a lot of first-timers (although all the others are put on by a different promoter than this one). If you have questions that morning, my wife, Liz, is always a friendly/helpful face in transition. Light brown hair and should be pretty easy to spot: Disney Tri Team ("Team Disney" tri top, "USA Triathlon" logo wetsuit (usually aren't many of those), a lt. blue & white Novara Carema road bike, and a red & grey Disney-team-branded TYR transition bag. She usually has extra supplies in her bag that people tend to forget or not think of so don't hesitate to seek her out if you have any last second freak outs. (And she almost always likes to chat with people, too, so even if you don't need anything, feel free to say "Hi" if you recognize her from this description.) For that matter, I'll be hanging around all day (not racing) and happy to help out, too, but I don't know what I'll be wearing...

Thanks, I haven't had a chance to check this thread until now.  There will be open swim and transition clinics on Nov 15th and 23rd.  I'm planning to attend the one on the 23rd so I will at least be somewhat prepared for the actual event.  There will also be a pre-race review on November 29th which I probably will attend.  I will keep an eye open for your wife...I don't know what I'll be wearing just yet but will be shopping very soon for a trisuit!  My road bike is a blue Scattante.  I'm sure I will be the last one running since I'm such a slow runner (I've been awful about training for that too!).  Thanks for the heads up re your wife, I appreciate it.

Did you or anyone else go to one of the transition clinics?  If so what was the deal?  Is the transition in sand or dirt where you would need water to clean your feet?  Anything in particular we should be aware of?  Thanks!

2008-10-30 3:27 PM
in reply to: #1776415

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
wirelessness - 2008-10-30 12:45 PM

Did you or anyone else go to one of the transition clinics?  If so what was the deal?  Is the transition in sand or dirt where you would need water to clean your feet?  Anything in particular we should be aware of?  Thanks!

There's a bit of sand and muck exiting the water, then you're in a paved parking lot for the transition area. The run out of the swim on the south side of the lake where they've moved the race is easier than the run on the north side, so that's a plus to the race being where it is now.

Coming out of T1, there is a short steep hill which is also a 180 degree bend. If you are at all comfortable running in your bike shoes (or barefoot, if you start with shoes clipped on the bike), it's definitely worth running all the way up before mounting. I did and was very happy I did. If you choose not to, make very sure you are in a climbing gear when you rack your bike.
2008-10-30 3:31 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
By the way, looks like my wife and I will be no-shows for this now. She's had some ankle pain the last week and went to the orthopedist this morning. MRI scheduled for Sat. morning, but it's at least post-tib tendonitis and shin splint...could be torn post-tib and even a stress fracture. So she's on the shelf for at least as long as it takes to heal up the tendonitis...and no 1st marathon for her in February, either...bummer.

I'm going to talk to her about volunteering for Turkey Tri, though (if she's not in a cast or boot), so we may still be there.
2008-10-30 5:09 PM

New user

San Clemente
Both my wife and I will be doing it this year. I did it last year as my 1st ever Tri. I only prepared for a month, did the swim in a speedo (makes for a great story), did the bike on a borrowed bike, and ended up walking a good portion of the run. Time: 2:12.

This year WILL be a different story!

Last year water was murky, yet quite cold. They have changed the course this year, at least for the swim. Looks like it is based on the South side.

Should be fun.

bg
2008-10-30 6:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakewood, CA
I am doing it...although I will probably take the time and put on my tights after the swim so I do not freeze during the bike.  Toe covers will also probably be in order...

2008-10-30 10:25 PM

So someone posted before that they had to swim through a bunch algae when racing from the south side of the lake.  Is that still a problem? If so, how big of a deal is this?
2008-10-30 11:21 PM
in reply to: #1776415

User image

Regular
Glendale
wirelessness - 2008-10-30 12:45 PM
chowbisou - 2008-10-22 6:10 PM

The clinics are in November so I haven't had a chance to go yet but I will be sure to report back after attending the pre-swim clinic on the 23rd.  Is anyone else going to that?

2008-10-30 11:24 PM
in reply to: #1776931

User image

Regular
Glendale

TriAgainJim - 2008-10-30 4:22 PM I am doing it...although I will probably take the time and put on my tights after the swim so I do not freeze during the bike.  Toe covers will also probably be in order...

Was it that cold last year?!  What did you do for the run?  Now I'm a bit concerned that I might be cold!  I tend to get cold very easily...

2008-10-31 6:15 PM
in reply to: #1777815

User image

Veteran
Lakewood, CA
It is the end of November and could be very cold.  The lake will be around 60 degrees and if the ambit temperature is around 60 degrees, the wind chill on the bike it will result in it being very cold.  I am not worried about the run because the perceived temperature while running is around 20 degrees above the actual temperature.  I do not run fast enough to worry about wind chill. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Turkey Tri -- San Dimas, CA Rss Feed  

of 3