General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Horrible Hundred Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-06 10:57 AM

User image

Subject: Horrible Hundred

Is anyone planning on doing this ride ??? Im probably gonna do the 35 mi., wish they had a 56 mi. one but hey....

Here is what they have on the website

"The Florida Freewheelers invite you to the 29th anniversary of the fabulous Horrible Hundred century ride. The Horrible Hundred is one of the oldest continuous rides in Florida. There is a route for everyone from 35, 70 or 100 miles – you will enjoy your day riding the rural roads and challenging yourself on the “mountains” of Central Florida including Buckhill, The Wall, Citrus Tower Hill, Hospital Hill and Sugarloaf Mountain. After your ride enjoy live entertainment, vendors and refreshments at the Florida Freewheelers Expo in Waterfront Park." - horrible-hundred.com

2008-11-06 5:01 PM
in reply to: #1792017

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Horrible Hundred
I did the 56 miler in the assault on sugarloaf... Also wish they had a 50 miler on this one... I'd like to do the 70 miler, looks like sugarloaf is skipped on the 35 miler, but we will see...
2008-11-10 4:03 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I was going to do the 70 but decided to focus on running instead.

It's nothing to add mileage and lots of difficulty to the 35mi ride.  For instance, to add ~7.5 miles and include the 3-Sisters (Buckhill Rd) and Sugarloaf Mnt, when on 455 instead of turning left on 561, keep going straight until you get to Buckhill Rd (1.5mi) then turn left.  Ride the sisters to Turnpike Rd then take a left and continue until you get to 561, then turn right.  Head up to Sugarloaf Mountain Rd and take a right to do the killer climb.  Once you get to Buckhill it should be marked as the Buckhill to Sugarload to 561A is all part of the 70/100 mile ride.  When you get to 561A after Sugarloaf take a right to get back to Grassy Lane Rd (1.3mi) for the return leg.

When I did the the Assualt on Sugarloaf, there were riders training on their own in all directions that weren't part of the Rec ride.  I don't think anyone would care if you added some like the above to the ride.

2008-11-10 7:26 PM

User image

hum...., that sounds like some fun, I thought about doing some of the hills....but I have to make sure I won't KILL myself out there...lol
2008-11-12 6:57 PM

User image

I'm planning to ride this, I'll also be riding the short course. Looking at Sugarloaf is enough for me as you pass by on the short course. I've riden this the past two years, it's a fun and challenging ride.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Horrible Hundred Rss Feed