General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-04-05 9:41 PM
in reply to: #1798368

New user

Nevada
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread
Congratulations on an awesome job all, great seing everyone on Thursday for lunch and all on the post race party at the brewery. Had a great time. Good luck this season.

2009-04-06 1:28 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Great race everyone and extra thanks to all the volunteers!

Interesting reading through at least one race log the comments that the 'draft police' were out in force.  I thought this was just the opposite. I had no less than a dozen draft groups blow by me on the bike.  And these weren't just casually close or passing, the were staying inches away wheel to wheel as far as I could see them ride ahead.

Also, several comments on the sunlight for the way back into the harbor. Not sure if was the pre 7am wave start, but I didn't have any problems seeing people or the buoys. I did laugh as one guy swam right into the second buoy of the course on the outbound leg. Almost choked on water as I watched his arms flailing away into it. I think he ended up going underneath. I happened to be looking ahead sighting at the time and had to slow to and watch.
2009-04-06 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2065861

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
toddg - 2009-04-06 11:28 AM Great race everyone and extra thanks to all the volunteers!

Interesting reading through at least one race log the comments that the 'draft police' were out in force.  I thought this was just the opposite. I had no less than a dozen draft groups blow by me on the bike.  And these weren't just casually close or passing, the were staying inches away wheel to wheel as far as I could see them ride ahead.

Also, several comments on the sunlight for the way back into the harbor. Not sure if was the pre 7am wave start, but I didn't have any problems seeing people or the buoys. I did laugh as one guy swam right into the second buoy of the course on the outbound leg. Almost choked on water as I watched his arms flailing away into it. I think he ended up going underneath. I happened to be looking ahead sighting at the time and had to slow to and watch.

The wave that really kill is when the sun just breaks the horizon. That is right in your eye sight, because it got me. Great on the way out, no sun, then wam on the turn around. Killed me for a little bit.

The later you start, the more the sun is past the horizon, so it does get better.  Great job on your race Todd!

I'm still working on my race report.
2009-04-06 4:08 PM
in reply to: #2065861

User image

Veteran
Wrong Beach, CA

Interesting reading through at least one race log the comments that the 'draft police' were out in force.

Todd...I think it was I that stated that.  All I can state is that I was buzzed no less than twenty times by a race official on the motorcycle, particularly while I was on the outbound (West) side of the bike course.  Definitely not as much presence on the East side.  I guess what I should have added was that I saw a lot of them, but didn't see a lot of people in the penalty tents.  Then again, I didn't see a whole lot of drafting going on - certainly nothing on the order of what some people in the later waves described, which seems perfectly plausible given the sheer number of people that would have been out on the course by that time.  It would have peeved me off to no end to see any of it going on, expecially since I'm usually an FOP'er on the bike and I HATE cheating of any kind.  I don't mind it on the weekend when I'm hammering down PCH and I get the odd roadie sucking off my rear wheel, but its a totally different ball game on race day.  Then again, I'm also amazed that I saw at least four different dudes running shirtless, people with iPods on, Oakley Thumps....don't any of these people even bother to skim the rules?

Actually, the biggest issue I had on the bike was trying to get around packs of 3 or four people who were riding shoulder to shoulder, taking up the entire lane.  Then again, maybe they were paranoid about getting a yellow card for drafting so they decided to stay lateral to at least avoid any chance of a drafting call.  I honestly don't know.

On a different note, my wave started at 7:10AM and the return leg of the swim was IMPOSSIBLE to navigate.  The sun was burning the retinas out of my head and that was with a very darkly shaded set of goggles on.  The only navigational aid I had coming back in was the West shore of the harbor and the multi floor condo complex just to the East of the boat jetty...

Edited by TheWolf 2009-04-06 4:25 PM
2009-04-06 4:15 PM
in reply to: #2066320

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
TheWolf - 2009-04-06 2:08 PM

Interesting reading through at least one race log the comments that the 'draft police' were out in force.

Todd...I think it was I that stated that.  All I can state is that I was buzzed no less than twenty times by a race official on the motorcycle, particularly while I was on the outbound (West) side of the bike course.  Definitely not as much presence on the East side.  I guess what I should have added was that I saw a lot of them, but didn't see a lot of people in the penalty tents.  Then again, I didn't see a whole lot of drafting going on - certainly nothing on the order of what some people in the later waves described, which seems perfectly plausible given the sheer number of people that would have been out on the course by that time.  It would have peeved me off to no end to see any of it going on, expecially since I'm usually an FOP'er on the bike and I HATE cheating of any kind.  I don't mind it on the weekend when I'm hammering down PCH and I get the odd roadie sucking off my rear wheel, but its a totally different ball game on race day.  Then again, I'm also amazed that I saw at least four different dudes running shirtless, people with iPods on, Oakley Thumps....don't any of these people even bother to skim the rules?

Actually, the biggest issue I had on the bike was trying to get around packs of 3 or four people who were riding shoulder to shoulder, taking up the entire lane.  Then again, maybe they were paranoid about getting a yellow card for drafting so they decided to stay lateral to at least avoid any chance of a drafting call.  I honestly don't know.

On a different note, my wave started at 7:10AM and the return wave of the swim was IMPOSSIBLE to navigate.  The sun was burning the retinas out of my head and that was with a very darkly shaded set of goggles on.  The only navigational aid I had coming back in was the West shore of the harbor and the multi floor condo complex just to the East of the boat jetty...

I was in the third wave, and if anyone past me on the bike, they either had disk wheels on the flat, which is more than fair, but then some packs of 5 to 10+ people that were about wheel to wheel. I think the patrol was more monitoring the pros vs the amateurs. I don't know, all I know I ignore them, and was not happy.

Your right on the run. I did see a couple people with iPods out there also. I though they wern't alowed either!

Overall, I still had a blast on the course, and happy with my final results.

Great job all!!
2009-04-06 5:44 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Also forgot to throw out a thanks to TriAya for organizing the post race dinner.  Was nice to finally meet a few fellow BT'ers in person!

2009-04-06 6:01 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Need to to update it into my race report, but for those looking for family friendly lodging next year, the Wyndham Oceanside Pier was excellent. It was a short walk to the beach and right at the pier.  I think I spent as much time worrying about what hotel we were going to stay at as training for the race.  Since my wife and two young children were coming along I wanted something near the beach, close to the race site, not overly expensive, had a pool/hot tub and was a 'decent' hotel.  I was riding from the hotel to the race start in the morning as well so that factored in as well.  Not so much the distance, but not knowing if the roads from a hotel to the race start would be bicycle friendly.  We were booked at the Quality Inn Oceanside, but that would have required us to drive to the beach every day.  Found the Wyndham just a few days before we left for Oceanside and was surprised to find rooms available.  Everything else I had checked had been sold out or was way over our price range.  If I do the race again next year we'll stay at the same place. Beautiful hotel, great location.
2009-04-06 7:12 PM
in reply to: #2066334

User image

Master
San Francisco
devouahy - 2009-04-06 2:15 PM
TheWolf - 2009-04-06 2:08 PMI was in the third wave, and if anyone past me on the bike, they either had disk wheels on the flat, which is more than fair, but then some packs of 5 to 10+ people that were about wheel to wheel. I think the patrol was more monitoring the pros vs the amateurs. I don't know, all I know I ignore them, and was not happy.

I saw a little bit of this pack mentality going on too.  I would sometimes be passed in big packs, but no officials to be found.  I didn't see officials penalize anyone and I never saw anyone in one of the penalty tents.
2009-04-07 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2066774

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
enginerd - 2009-04-06 5:12 PM
devouahy - 2009-04-06 2:15 PM
TheWolf - 2009-04-06 2:08 PMI was in the third wave, and if anyone past me on the bike, they either had disk wheels on the flat, which is more than fair, but then some packs of 5 to 10+ people that were about wheel to wheel. I think the patrol was more monitoring the pros vs the amateurs. I don't know, all I know I ignore them, and was not happy.

I saw a little bit of this pack mentality going on too.  I would sometimes be passed in big packs, but no officials to be found.  I didn't see officials penalize anyone and I never saw anyone in one of the penalty tents.

I concur with that. Penalty tent were all empty when I was out there. Guess when official results are posted we will notice how many penalties they really gave out!!
2009-05-07 8:59 AM

Does anyone have an extra poster I could have?  I was carrying mine on the flight home and in all my exhaustion left in the airport waiting area.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 10