United States
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 42m 30s
Overall Rank = 2/50
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/15
Event warmup:

5 minutes of easy running, mostly to stay warm. but the temps were great for racing purposes
Run
  • 1h 42m 30s
  • 16.23 miles
  • 06m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Took the lead right from the start with 3 or 4 guys following. After the first loop I was basically solo with the others already a good minute plus back. I knew then it would be a long day of running alone. On lap 2 I already starting catching the back of the field and realized that running solo was no longer an issue as I just eyed those in front of me I was lapping. Used that to help try and keep a steady pace and close in on one person after another. Splits were fairly consistent and though I reminded myself to slow down I kept clipping off 6:18's which felt comfortable so I just went with it.

Though I did wonder if the wheels would fall off on the last lap or two I used the 7 loops to keep my mind at ease and focused on just getting halfway, then look at it as only 3 laps to go, then 2, etc... That was much easier to rationalize than "7 miles to go..." Anyways, around mile 9 maybe some guy came out of nowhere and went right by. I picked it up but it wasn't a pace I was willing to maintain. I was literally totally confused as to where he came from. Throughout the race I had a view on those chasing me and never once saw him. Thought maybe he just drafted me and because I didn't actually look back at all he was in my shadows or something. But I ran second from that point on, though not happy about it, but pleased I kept the pace fairly consistent.

Talked to the first place guy afterwords. He tells me he was in the bathroom when the race started and was 2 or so minutes back. Nice. That explains why I never saw him though, knew I wasn't dilerious. However, I just got my ass kicked by a guy who I had a 2 minute headstart on. Humbling...
Post race
Warm down:

Ran 5 of the 6 miles back to the hotel...

Event comments:

Enjoyed the event, fun to race in Arizona, first time experience...

Last updated: 2008-11-04 12:00 AM
Running
01:42:30 | 16.23 miles | 06m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 2/50
Performance: Good
Course: a 7-loop course around a scenic lake, entirely on a concrete bike path
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4