United States
Cape Cod Cyclists and the Mass Bay Road Club
58F / 14C
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Women 4
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We woke up a little later than I had hoped and got lost getting to venue which meant after getting my race number I had only time for one+ lap to check out the course.

I came to this race a year ago to check out cross and decide if I might want to try it.
Event warmup:

Having only ridden 4 times in last month as part of my rest/recovery post IM time, I knew I was doing this for fun and would feel a bit off.

Riding the course is good as it helps me figure out my line. Tricky technical mountain bike sections with turns from 90-180...and steep. Rode it well in warm up and a guy behind me in the tough section when done said ride it like that in the race and you'll be good, you did a great job. It was the highlight of the day.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Best start line ever...behind the school so we could spread out so all the cat 4 women were on the front line. We started 2 minutes behind cat 4 men whom I tend not to like to race with as they pass in unsafe manner. I was hoping today's course with standard cross width course would avoid that issue.

Start and see the fast women just pull away. I'm towards the back but behind some who was cautious. I found out later it was her first cross race. I wanted to pass her prior to the technical wooded section as I like to control my speed and ride the hard section my way which tends to be safer. I got into the wooded section and went faster than in warm up, and after the step descent make the right turn and ended up way to far to the left of the path which had a plastic 24" fence that would not protect me if I went into it with a sharp drop off. There was a dip on the left side of the path where the path just drops off, I went over that, amazed that I didn't crash, fall or something else terrible, made the 160 left hand turn and was safe and on the path. I yelled something like "wow I fookin nailed that was amazingly awesome".

Out of the woods have to go up hill mostly next half of the course. Around tennis courts to big run up then start lap 2. Leader of men's race passed me early on in my second loop he was flying. I was a bit worried when I got to the wood downhill section guys would try to pass me in there and it wouldn't be safe. On the steep down hill I'm braking and my brakes squeal loudly, this guy says it is easier with more speed, which I do a little but again almost get in the spot where the path falls away, get around that fine but at next 160 don't quite make it and go into the woods. Another guy says more speed isn't always good...he was there encouraging & cheering me and other on each loop. I agreed with his thought.Rest of lap two was uneventful. One lap to go..

Last lap more cat 4 guys are catching me, and most are saying something encouraging. What a pleasant change from last race I did with cat 4 men. Short steep hill is hard each time but keep my weight forward so wheel stays on the ground. Over last barriers and into the woods again hoping no guys try to cut me off in technical spot...ride the section pretty much the same but don't make 160 turn well again but farther than loop 2 but that means I'm heading into a tree but avoided that.

Almost done but all up hill. I can tell time off hurt me as those who I am normally near in cross races were out in front of me and I made no gains on them. Last time up the steep run up, when I dismounted somehow I spun around away from my bike so I was facing left and my bike straight...it was funny. Someone said nice ballet move...remount and push to finish..only near cat 4 men. Finish and sit on the ground panting loudly knowing I worked hard.
What would you do differently?:

Need to work on starts, work for hole shot more need to do 15-45" hard intervals.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat on the ground, caught my breath, chatted, and did a little easy riding.

The fun part of racing cross is the atmosphere and bit wacky attitude everyone has.

Funny when done I sat on the ground and took off my helmet, put it back on when going to noodle around and thought why is my helmet so wet...all the pads/strapes were soaking wet from sweat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limited riding last 4 weeks and lots a lot of fitness. Those I normally compete with were well ahead of me today. I do this for fun and it was hard and a great time.

Event comments:

Nice location with plenty of parking and indoor bathrooms. Location of National Cyclocross championships back 20 years ago. Wooded section was a bit sketchy and tough riding but also exciting.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-11-08 12:00 AM
Biking
00:00:00 | 00 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Wide start, up blacktop, along grass, around fields, 1 barrier, through woods with steep incline, then along fields with another barrier, into the down hill wooded section with tight left, very steep hill, 90 degree right turn, then 160 left hand turn, then it was smoother turns, out onto sidewalk now gradual up hill for 1/2 the course. Up around tennis course with funky ride over funny hill, steep run up and do another lap.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-11-11 10:05 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: Plymouth Cyclo Cross

2008-11-12 7:41 AM
in reply to: #1801606

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Subject: RE: Plymouth Cyclo Cross
Nice job. Yeah, it's tough when you get out of regular rhythym in cyclocross. You almost NEED to race every weekend (But I'm violating that very rule this week by staying home).

It didn't look as muddy there as it was in VT for my race.
2008-11-12 12:46 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Congrats on a what looks like a fun race. I am going to have to try a cross race sometime, they look like a blast! At least I know where to go for pointers!

Nice work, now go find a pool!!!

2008-11-12 1:22 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Dude that looks tough! You must be a crazy biker chick to be riding that little bike! Well done, sounds like a really fun race, I would be forced to take the mountain bike though! Congrats!
2008-11-12 7:49 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I'm glad you had fun and are finding joy again
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Plymouth Cyclo Cross Rss Feed