General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adjusting Training Plans Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-11-13 6:01 PM

New user

Subject: Adjusting Training Plans

Hi there, I've spent the last few months putting together my IM training cycle. I was shooting for the Grand Columbian only to find out they canceled the full IM event for 2009.  All of the Ford series within my travel range are full as well.  So my IM dreams will be delayed until 2010.

My questions is this.  I want to take my currently constructed plan and adjust it for a half IM distance race on the same time line.  Is it a reasonable assumption to think that I can simply adjust the volumes of the key workouts, i.e. proportionately reduce the distance of my long run , bike and swim, or is there some other adjustment that I should make?

Thanks. 

2008-11-13 6:08 PM
in reply to: #1807401

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: RE: Adjusting Training Plans

There are worse things than training for an IM but still race an HIM!  I have found many of my shorter race times getting much better while training for longer.

But if you want to reduce the time - I'm just shooting from the hip, but you could probably reduce some of the key (long) workout session by about 1/3.

For example, in many of the IM plans, the max long bike is about 6-6.5 hours.  For an equivelant HIM plan, it's about 3.5-4 hours.

I can only offer a suggestion as broad as this without seeing you plan or knowing your current fitness level.

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-11-13 6:09 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adjusting Training Plans Rss Feed