General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-06-08 11:59 AM
in reply to: #2199994

User image

Nor*Cal
Subject: RE: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread

jldicarlo - 2009-06-07 7:59 AM

I can't imagine we'd get anything back from the ferry...that would be a logistical nightmare!  I had just planned on wearing a pair of throw away flip flops. 

In addition to your T1 transition bag, you will be provided with a bag for the ferry and a sticker with your race #. I had a water bottle, body glide, flip flops, and sweat shirt in mine.

Picking it up after the race was easy and I got everything back. The bags will be lined up by race # at the race finish and you can pick it up whenever you want after the race (take time to enjoy the post race food).

-ak-

2009-06-08 12:15 PM
in reply to: #2200421

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
xmann1102 - 2009-06-07 4:25 PM hey jldicarlo, your link doesn't work.   i'm trying to get the best/easiest way to Edward II from the airport as well.

Okay, go to this website then and you'll just have to put in your own information:

BART 511

It gave me like 4 options.  I chose the one that kept me on BART the longest since I will have my bike box and I'm thinking the bus may not be happy about that.   The Edwards II said they didn't think it would be a huge problem since it isn't rush hour.
2009-06-08 12:17 PM
in reply to: #2202400

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Atak Kat - 2009-06-08 11:59 AM

jldicarlo - 2009-06-07 7:59 AM

I can't imagine we'd get anything back from the ferry...that would be a logistical nightmare!  I had just planned on wearing a pair of throw away flip flops. 

In addition to your T1 transition bag, you will be provided with a bag for the ferry and a sticker with your race #. I had a water bottle, body glide, flip flops, and sweat shirt in mine.

Picking it up after the race was easy and I got everything back. The bags will be lined up by race # at the race finish and you can pick it up whenever you want after the race (take time to enjoy the post race food).

-ak-

I'm probably still going to try to stick to throwaway...disposable water bottle, some vaseline in a ziploc baggie, toss away flippie floppies, etc.

I can't imagine that with a wetsuit and all those people that I would be cold!
2009-06-08 12:36 PM
in reply to: #1857387

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
anyone thought about somehow bringing a water proof camera along?   i'd really like to get some pics if i could figure out where to put the camera.   maybe snap some pics on the boat and leave it in the bag you get back after the race?
2009-06-08 1:08 PM
in reply to: #2202552

User image

Nor*Cal

xmann1102 - 2009-06-08 10:36 AM anyone thought about somehow bringing a water proof camera along?   i'd really like to get some pics if i could figure out where to put the camera.   maybe snap some pics on the boat and leave it in the bag you get back after the race?

I brought my small digital camera on my first race, took some great picutres on the boat and left the camera in my bag. Picked it up after the race.

I've also seen some that have taken a waterproof camera with them on the swim.

-ak-

2009-06-08 1:50 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida
ya i'm sure i'll take one for the boat.   i'd like to take one with me in the swim if i could find a way to carry it without being a pain to hold.

2009-06-08 1:53 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA

One of the better pieces of advise that I have gotten for this race is to bring two giant waters with you.  The first is for sipping.  The second should be ice cold.  About 5 minutes before doing the race, dump the water down your back.  This way you get used to the cold.  Get the shock overwith.  It worked well for me.

Geoff

Ps.  No ice.  :-)

2009-06-08 2:08 PM

User image

Master

A guy over on the Slowtwitch forum took pictures with a waterproof camera during the swim last year. Search under the main forum for this thread: Lazy Ben's Alcatraz Laziness Report with pics taken while "racing"

I'm planning on bringing a disposable camera (with flash) on the boat.

Anyone else getting antsy? Tapering isn't helping the situation. Too much time to think about stuff.

2009-06-08 3:08 PM
in reply to: #2202850

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
wieczynski - 2009-06-08 1:53 PM

One of the better pieces of advise that I have gotten for this race is to bring two giant waters with you.  The first is for sipping.  The second should be ice cold.  About 5 minutes before doing the race, dump the water down your back.  This way you get used to the cold.  Get the shock overwith.  It worked well for me.

Geoff

Ps.  No ice.  :-)

I'm guessing it will be pretty tough to keep water ice cold for two hours!
2009-06-08 8:54 PM

User image

Regular

Hello,

One more question (and sorry if it was already answered - I am losing the overview - 10 pages, that's a lot :-) )

So, I take off my wetsuit immediatley after the swim (i.e. after the exit and before I start my 1 mile run to T1) . What do I do with it? Can I leave it there? Or do I need to carry it to T1 to put it in my bag?

Although I don't have a high end wetsuit, I don't wanne lose it in the tumoil after the water exit.

Take care

YouYou

2009-06-08 10:21 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

You pack the wetsuit into the bag provided and retrieve it after the race. If you desire you can run to the bike location in your wetsuit and leave it there. Either way it has to be packed into the bag provided.

2009-06-08 10:23 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA

Two options:

1.  They give you a bag that you can put shoes.  Once you hop out of the water you hit the beach and then up rock stairs to a short transition area that your bag can be found in numeric order.  You can dump the wet suit in the bag.  Then you run a pretty long way to the bike area. 

2.  Hope out of the water and strip the wetsuit to your waist and run to T1 barefoot.

I did option one when I did the race.  If I had to do it over, I would have done the second option.

Edited by wieczynski 2009-06-08 10:26 PM
2009-06-09 1:21 AM

User image

Sacramento, CA

Hey everybody I am new to the site. I will be in SF the 11th to the 15th also and have e-mailed Chris about joining the group swim. Thanks for all the tips from the people that have done it before, as this is my first time at Alcatraz.

2009-06-09 6:59 AM

User image

Master

Another T-Beach to Bike question. Is there anything else that I should put in this bag besides shoes? Towel?

Boat Bag- Do they give us a bag for the boat or do we bring our own? I'm planning on wearing warm clothes (Texan), and bringing water, camera and a snack.

Post Race- Is there somewhere to put another bag for post race clothes? Or should my husband keep the bag with him?

Any other last minute hints?

2009-06-09 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2204279

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Catwoman - 2009-06-09 6:59 AM

Another T-Beach to Bike question. Is there anything else that I should put in this bag besides shoes? Towel?

Boat Bag- Do they give us a bag for the boat or do we bring our own? I'm planning on wearing warm clothes (Texan), and bringing water, camera and a snack.

Post Race- Is there somewhere to put another bag for post race clothes? Or should my husband keep the bag with him?

Did you get the last e-mail sent out by EFAT?  It said you should get two bags at registration...one for the boat and one for the shoes for after the boat.  It also said that your wetsuit MUST end up in that shoe bag or you will get hit for abandonment.  That also explains how you are going to find your wetsuit later.

If I had a sherpa I would have them keep my post race clothes.  That's typically WAY faster than trying to fish through transition or find your boat bag.  But I figure I'm going to be one of the slow ones anyway so I anticipate transition being open by the time I'm done.

Edited by jldicarlo 2009-06-09 8:39 AM
2009-06-09 8:50 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Okay, can someone recap for me what our "social" plans are?  I don't want to miss out and with all these pages, it's gotten lost.

From what I recall...

Thursday night...meet in the lobby of the Edwards for drinkies...either staying there or heading out.  Can we name a time?

Friday...I believe a swim?  What time?  And exact location?

Saturday...BT dinner?  I want to say we all agreed to shoot for about 5:30pm.  I realize the last meeting for the race isn't until 6pm, but if we go that late everything will have a wait.  Do we want to meet in the lobby of the Edwards around 5:15 and decide where to go from there?  I'm sure the staff at the Edwards can give us some good recommendations.

Keep quoting this thread and update/add as necessary so all the social info is in one place near the end of the line.

2009-06-09 11:21 AM
in reply to: #1859337

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Damn!!!  I thought I was going to be able to sleep in a bit for this race.  NOPE!!!  It will be the earliest start EVER!!!

I think I need to get up at 3:00 to 3:15 to be safe.  30 min to wake up and get ready.  15 min to get to T1.  That puts me there around 4am.  I have 60 minutes to organize, set up T1/T2 and get over to the bus at 5:00 for the 'first timers' ride.  Next year, I can go on the LAST bus since I'm an old guy   and not a first timer (if I get in again).

2009-06-09 11:25 AM
in reply to: #2204584

User image

Sensei
Sin City
jldicarlo - 2009-06-09 6:50 AM Okay, can someone recap for me what our "social" plans are?  I don't want to miss out and with all these pages, it's gotten lost.

From what I recall...

Thursday night...meet in the lobby of the Edwards for drinkies...either staying there or heading out.  Can we name a time?

Friday...I believe a swim?  What time?  And exact location?

Saturday...BT dinner?  I want to say we all agreed to shoot for about 5:30pm.  I realize the last meeting for the race isn't until 6pm, but if we go that late everything will have a wait.  Do we want to meet in the lobby of the Edwards around 5:15 and decide where to go from there?  I'm sure the staff at the Edwards can give us some good recommendations.

Keep quoting this thread and update/add as necessary so all the social info is in one place near the end of the line.

Good question.  I was going to ask the same since we leave in less than 48 hours!!!!

I was going to be in the Edwards Bar at 5:30 on Thursday.  Does that work?  I'm the tall guy with a cute wife!!! 

I would like to consider a swim as well.  Most likely the Sat morning swim if we are going to have it.  That is the only time I don't have family obligations...  I was also wondering, if I have to go out alone, where is a good beach to get out at and get 1000 yards?  (close to T1/T2)  Is it safe or do I have to watch for boats/traffic or anything?

I will probably pass on Friday dinner...
2009-06-09 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2204521

User image

Sensei
Sin City
jldicarlo - 2009-06-09 6:38 AM
Catwoman - 2009-06-09 6:59 AM

Did you get the last e-mail sent out by EFAT?  It said you should get two bags at registration...one for the boat and one for the shoes for after the boat.  It also said that your wetsuit MUST end up in that shoe bag or you will get hit for abandonment.  That also explains how you are going to find your wetsuit later.

If I had a sherpa I would have them keep my post race clothes.  That's typically WAY faster than trying to fish through transition or find your boat bag.  But I figure I'm going to be one of the slow ones anyway so I anticipate transition being open by the time I'm done.

I saw all of that.  It's a TAD overwhelming, but not too bad.  I think it will become clear at the manditory meeting on Sat.  BTW, I am assuming that packet pickup is at T1/T2/Finish area.
2009-06-09 11:34 AM

User image

Milwaukee, WI

Tentative social plans:

Thurs:
5:00-6:00pm Meet in the Bar/lobby area of Edwards
6-ish, head out for dinner

Friday:
Morning (9?) swim.  This would just be a "get in the water and try not to freeze" type swim.
Afternoon (1-2) Bike.  Cruise around the city, and check out part of the course

Saturday:
Morning swim.  Head out to the aquatics park and get some real swimming in
Afternoon do the packet pick up
5pm Early dinner.

Sunday:
O'Dark:30, wake up, do your thing, get to transition
5-6:30 Get on the bus
7 Get on the ferry
8 Jump off a perfectly good boat and swim to shore

2009-06-09 11:52 AM
in reply to: #2205131

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Rot26 - 2009-06-09 11:34 AM

Tentative social plans:

Thurs:
5:00-6:00pm Meet in the Bar/lobby area of Edwards
6-ish, head out for dinner

Friday:
Morning (9?) swim.  This would just be a "get in the water and try not to freeze" type swim.
Afternoon (1-2) Bike.  Cruise around the city, and check out part of the course

Saturday:
Morning swim.  Head out to the aquatics park and get some real swimming in
Afternoon do the packet pick up
5pm Early dinner.

Sunday:
O'Dark:30, wake up, do your thing, get to transition
5-6:30 Get on the bus
7 Get on the ferry
8 Jump off a perfectly good boat and swim to shore

Okay, all looks good.  If anyone is interested in more extensive swimming Friday, I will be doing about 30'.  9 am sounds good to me...as does a 2pmish bike ride to give people time to hit up lunch and get bikes assembled.  I was thinking of going to a movie on Friday night...purely because I never have time at home!  And I'm on vacation, dammit!

Coach has all my workouts on Fri and none on Sat...works for me!

2009-06-09 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
Ocala, Florida

i'll be arriving at SF airport about 1:30pm.   no plans for anything for Thursday.   I thought there was a swim Friday in the afternoon, thats what my plan was with Chris

Saturday i'm again swimming in the AM.  

i'd also be interested in getting together Sunday morning to head over to Transition and the buses.

other than that, i'd like to do a short run somewhere just so my legs aren't too strong on Sunday.   i'll have my wife, 18 year old daughter and 6 year old son with me so i honestly can't make plans for dinner any night.

i also decided to take a camera with me for the swim and stop a couple times and snap a couple photos.   gonna stuff it in my suit when not using it.  my attitude for this race is take my time and enjoy it.   i doubt i'll ever swim in the Bay again after this weekend so i intend to enjoy it.

i'll also be wearing my BT tri top and i'll have some BT tattoos if anyone needs/wants any.

2009-06-09 1:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Lewisville

Escape from Alcatraz was on AMC last night, not sure if it will be on again this week, but something you guys might enjoy with the upcoming race. I also found an episode of Myth Busters where they recreated the escape from the island on a raft - found this using OnDemand (through Verizon). Much to my surprise they were doing this a couple of years ago in June and said the water temp was around 60 degrees - i can only hope it will be that warm.

2009-06-09 2:02 PM

User image

Master
NJ

Good luck to all the racers this year!!

One bit of advice if you'd like it - after the swim you have your bag for your wetsuit - some folks decorate it w/ sharpies or something b/c although they're in # order, it's tough to see all the #'s sometimes. If ya got green and yellow swirlies or polka dots it's just a bit easier to find....Enjoy your day!

2009-06-09 2:46 PM

User image

Veteran
California
I think by water temperature near 60, they really meant 53-56.  I think 60 is a little too optimistic.

And yes, the packet pick-up is at T1 / T2 / Finish.  If you've never done Alcatraz before, absolutely attend one of the athlete meetings.  It's filled with good info.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 10