General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GPS/Heart Rate Monitor for Swim, Bike & Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-12-24 2:08 PM

Subject: GPS/Heart Rate Monitor for Swim, Bike & Run
I love my Garmin 301, but the heart rate monitor no longer works.. The company said I could spend $100.00 to get a refurbished unit, but for that price, I think I'll buy something new...

Question:

Is there any item out there that includes the GPS and Heart Rate Monitor that is water proof? I have a separate watch/HR monitor that I wear when I swim, but I have to change it all in transition to move to the Garmin.. No fun!

Anyone wear anything that gets them through the entire event? I'm not a big fan of foot pods, but would consider dealiing with it if necessary....

Thanks!

2008-12-24 6:40 PM
in reply to: #1871421

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: RE: GPS/Heart Rate Monitor for Swim, Bike & Run

I wear a Polar for all three events, but it does not have GPS and I wouldn't wear a foot pod. I am not concerned with the distance as the races are well marked, usually.

My HRM leaks though so I am in the market for a new one and I am not sure what to get. 

2008-12-24 6:54 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

The Garmin 305 isn't really waterproof, but I've heard of people putting them in baggies and under their swim cap.  Apparently that keeps it dry, and if you wear it toward the back of your head it will still track satellites.

Not sure if it will pick up the HRM signal when in the water, though.  I know my Suunto doesn't.

2008-12-24 8:54 PM

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI

tsroberts - 2008-12-24 2:08 PM  I have a separate watch/HR monitor that I wear when I swim, but I have to change it all in transition to move to the Garmin.. No fun!

I agree - I don't like to complicate T1 anymore than necessary either.

Polar and Suunto have water resistant watches with GPS Pods.  Polar RS800cx is their best model for a triathlete (IMO). They have others, as well, so look at their website for any HR watch compatible with the G3 or G1 pods for GPS. Be aware that the HR strap for Polar RS800 can be worn while on the swim, but it doesn't accurately measure HR when in the water. But, at least you don't need to change it in T1.

The Suunto T4c or T6c also fit the bill plus I think Suunto has a heart rate strap that will measure HR during the swim for download and later analysis.

2008-12-25 7:01 AM

New user

Roosdaal

So would you actually consider buying the t6c?
Is it worth all the money(>$600)?

I've been dreaming of buying it but it don't knwo if it's good value for money, but it really seems to be...

2008-12-25 11:52 AM
in reply to: #1871855

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI
Anonymous - 2008-12-25 7:01 AM

So would you actually consider buying the t6c?
Is it worth all the money(>$600)?

I've been dreaming of buying it but it don't knwo if it's good value for money, but it really seems to be...

The T6c is a very good watch and HRM.  I'd consider buying it except that it doesn't track running cadence, which is important to me.

I think the top-end models at Suunto (and Polar and Garmin) are like any other tool where the value is in the user's interest and ability to make it of value.  If you bother to learn to train with HR, and commit to using the watch in your training, then it's a value.

2008-12-28 10:33 AM

Thanks to all who responded... Seems like one of these companies needs to make a heartrate/gps watch for us triathletes!

I'll continue to look at all my options and I really appreciate all of the input...!

BT ROCKS!!
2008-12-31 12:32 AM

Hartville,
I have a Garmin forerunner 305. I use it in tri's but it loses track in the swim every time. You would think it is just dipping a few feet at most under water so satellite capture shouldn't be a problem, but it is. The race cap didn't work for me either.

I had a Suunto T6 that was awesome (I didn't have the GPS pod) but only useful for distance on the run.

I now use a Polar RS800SD for running and biking but no help (other than timing) for swim. It sucks in race conditions because it stops searching for the foot pod and HRM on the swim and you have to remember to re-synch in T1 and T2.

They all lose HRM tracking on the swim as well.

I'm not sure the perfect multisport device exist yet.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GPS/Heart Rate Monitor for Swim, Bike & Run Rss Feed