United States
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 10s
Overall Rank = 145/4110
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 14/130
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast - was 1/2 size of Steelcut Oatmeal (of what I usually make), with a banana. 1/2 bottle of Infinit Jet Fuel.
Event warmup:

Warmed up with about a 2 mile run. This included about a mile jog and then stretched. I then got on the track and did build-up sprints on the straights and jogged the corners. I did 5 of these and then I jogged back to the event. Stretched a little more.
Run
  • 1h 33m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

This is my first race where I felt in control. I had a sore groin and my goal was to let that dictate my pace. If the groin was ok, then my plan was to run about a 7:10 average pace for the first 6-8 miles and then try and average a 7:05 for the remainder of the race. Plan went perfect and the only glitch was my calf right at mile 12 when I went down a small hill. I did not go all out the last mile for obvious reasons and it was sorta nice coming down the stretch strong and in control and was able to talk to the crowd and see my family and actually smile. All of this added up to a race that was enjoyable and fun.

I also took my Amphipod Fuel Belt with two 8 oz. bottles. One had Infinit Jet Fuel and the other had water. It was the perfect amount and I really liked not having to stop at the aid stations and this method ensured I got energy into my system and not all over my front. I also did not have to worry about stopping and starting.

This by the way was my PR for a Stand-alone 1/2 Marathon. My previous best was a 1:36:26 so I was very happy with the results.
What would you do differently?:

I would DEFINITELY not do a speed workout the week of this race. That led to my groin and I believe is the cause for my calf issue.
Post race
Warm down:

None. I met up with my boys Lar Dog and Quinton and gave a quick congratulations and then saw my family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Speed Workout the I did on Tuesday.

Event comments:

I liked this race for the following reasons.

PROS
1. Close to home (only 3-4 miles away).
2. Cost of race. It was only like $38.
3. Course was nice.
4. Event was organized just right for me. Drinks, fruit, muffins and bagels were available.

CONS
1. No race chip but I was fine with that because I have my own watch.

Last updated: 2008-12-30 12:00 AM
Running
01:33:10 | 13.1 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/130
Overall: 0/4110
Performance: Good
Mile/Lap Data Mile 1: 7:06 pace / AHR 156 Mile 2: 7:17 pace / AHR 165 Mile 3: 7:09 pace / AHR 163 Mile 4: 7:07 pace / AHR 163 MIle 5: 7:19 pace / AHR 166 Mile 6: 7:10 pace / AHR 168 Goal was to to be at 43:30 (Actual was 43:11) Mile 7: 7:11 pace / AHR 168 Mile 8: 6:56 pace / AHR 171 Mile 9: 7:07 pace / AHR 171 Mile 10: 7:04 pace / AHR 171 Mile 11: 7:07 pace / AHR 171 Mile 12: 7:02 pace / AHR 172 Mile 13: 7:12 pace / AHR 172 This is where I got a cramp of pulled my right calf Mile 13: 5:52 pace / AHR 177 Couldn't help myself on the final stretch Overall AHR was 167
Course: Course was and relatively flat with some slight grades and some hills when we would go below or above the main roads. There was some wind which got annoying. Not sure how much tail wind we got but I sure felt the head-wind.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes