General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Multiple Event Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-11 6:25 PM

User image

Glen Ellyn
Subject: Multiple Event Training
Happy New Year!

Well rather than just train for one big event, I'm going to enter multiple events this year and need some training advice. Here's my schedule:

5/5/09: Indianapolis Mini Marathon
Late June/Early July: Olympic Distance Tri
Mid to Late August: Olympic Distance Tri

My questions pertain to my training between now and May 5th. I'm going to utilize a 3 day/week running schedule for the 1/2. I'm running with my wife so finsihing and having a good time is the goal.

So assuming one day off, I was planning on 1 day for swim maintenance/drills (40 minutes or so), 1 day for a longer ride (60-90 minutes on the trainer) and 1 day for a spin class or an interval ride on the trainer (45-60 minutes). Keep in mind I'm in Chicago and don't imagine any real riding for quite a while....

Does this seem realistic or should I add an extra day off and just cycle once per week?

Thanks in advance!

Jim

2009-01-11 6:38 PM
in reply to: #1901155

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Multiple Event Training

I'd say pick a training plan for your Olys and change up the long run to build for your 1/2 Mary you are training for.

Going with only 1 swim and 2 bike isn't very balanced. Ideally you do 2-3 each s/b/r each week unless you are a very strong swimmer or cyclist.

I wouldn't do 2 rest days a week unless you are new to training or feel you need it.

2009-01-11 11:51 PM

User image

Westchester, NY
Technically you can do a complete run focus until around March where you will need to begin training for your first triathlon. But It would probably be best to work on all three areas.

Do a run focus up until the Mini-Marathon so do 3 runs, 2 swims, 2 bikes. Make sure you also throw in a BRICK run after your long bike so it gives you technically 4 runs in a week, while still prepping for triathlon.

AFter the Mini marathon you switch it around and cut back your run to 2 times a week (if time is a limiter) and add a Bike workout so that you can change focus to the Bike Until your last race. Making it 2 swim, 2 run, 3 bike.
2009-01-12 6:14 AM

User image

Glen Ellyn
Thanks Kathy and Javier......full-time Tri training it is!!

Cheers,

Jim
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Multiple Event Training Rss Feed