General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill Stress Test With Cardiologist Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-01-27 7:28 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: Treadmill Stress Test With Cardiologist

So, long story short:  Due to having a lot of PVC's (irregular heart beat), a cardiologist decided to perform an echocardiogram and a treadmill stress test on me to confirm his diagnosis that the problem was benign and that I don't have any structural defects.  Both tests were today.

I guess they're used to having people take the test who are generally unhealthy, because when they found out I do endurance training, the doctor's assistant and the technician were both pretty interested to see how I would do.  Apparently many people only last 3 or 4 minutes, and they're done.

I gave up after 15 minutes with a HR just under 190 and just over 17 mets.  It was an interesting experience, and I was glad to hear that everything appears to be fine.

I'm a pretty bad runner, so I'm curious if any of the strong runners and/or more experienced triathletes here have had to do a stress test, and if the doctor's staff was equally fascinated.

2009-01-27 7:34 PM
in reply to: #1932605

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Treadmill Stress Test With Cardiologist
I went through the same thing last year.
2009-01-27 7:40 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
I had a similar issue a couple years ago. I was experiencing SVTC (super ventricular tachia cardia - spacing is random because I don't know how it's supposed to be) where my HR would suddenly shoot up really high while running and I would get lightheaded and nauseous and then it would come back down again really quickly too. Mine was also benign, actually it was overtraining, but the doc was a marathoner herself and ordered a similar type test so I could get my VO2 max and some other stuff.

As a marathoner she wasn't particularly fascinated by my endurance, but was much more fascinated by how high my HR goes during normal exercise (not when experiencing SVTC) and how long I can sustain exercise at that HR. I think people (her included) initially take that high HR to indicate some sort of physical distress, until they realize I can run for a long time at that HR and still be able to communicate verbally, maintain similar pace, etc.
2009-01-27 9:52 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I had one a few years ago and the cardiologist stopped the test once my HR hit 220 less my age..he hadn't read the famous BT thread about testing for HR zones  He was surprised how quickly my HR dropped and I recovered and said something like you are very fit.

2009-01-28 10:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
I coach a varsity DI program, and we now due to liability have echo's done on any kid with a family history of heart problems, irregular heart, on and on. Now these kids are Fit. What's funny is we always go to the same dr's, they always start the kids out walking and can never get their heart rates up, and are always amazed. They see ALL of the programs out of our school, I don't understand why they are always flabbergasted. THEY WORK OUT. WORKING OUT LOWERS YOUR HEART RATE, IT TAKES LONGER TO GET TO MAX. But they are just doing their job. And I am sure the college athletes are only a minute percentage of their clients.

2009-01-28 10:31 AM

User image

Expert
I was having some shortness of breath three years ago when I was getting back into this sport. (Turned out to be pollen and allergies) My doc right away sent me to a cardiologist and from there I was sent for an ECG and a nuclear stress test on the tread mill. My family history had a little to do with his decision.

Long story short I ran the test into the ground and they had no more isotopes to inject in me and the treadmill went to its max height and speed for the test. HR never went above 180s... Very interesting to watch your blood pressure drop as your HR increases. I never knew they work in opposites.

Needless to say I am fine. It's a pretty good test to have done if your insurance and doctors will let you go through with it. I recommend it if anyone in your family has a history of heart disease and/or heart defects.

Last thing I needed was dropping dead from some hidden heart condition when all I was trying to do was have fun!

2009-01-28 10:47 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Medical fascination not related to the stress test, but when they put me under for a colonoscopy the staff had to turn off the alarm on the heart rate monitor because my resting heart rate was below the "danger" limit of 50bpm.
2009-01-28 10:47 AM

Did the same test at http://www.myfitnessco.com/ it's me doing it on the image, it was an interesting experience, i think i was done after 20 minutes and i was done for the day

2009-01-28 11:11 AM

Extreme Veteran

I shared an office in Dallas with a guy from East Texas who never exercised in his life. He was 6'3" and thin. This guy drank beer every night of the week and ate a very unhealthy diet of fried food and barbecue. I have never seen someone eat this much crap and be thin. He always wore a southwestern colored shirt with one of those western style string ties around the collar, Wrangler jeans that were always pressed and pointed toe cowboy boots. He was a pure Texan. He took my family out on Lake Ray Hubbard on his pontoon boat one summer evening (probably 90+ degrees) and he wore the same thing, no shorts no sneakers, no flip flops. Anyway one afternoon he fainted in a meeting so the EMTs took him to the hospital. They watched him overnight everything was good so he a came back to work. He told me he was scheduled for a stress test. Since I had never seen him wear anything but jeans and cowboy boots I asked him what he was going to wear on the treadmill. He did not know he was going to have to run on a treadmill. I explained this to him and he said he wasn't concerned and that he would wear his jeans and boots. The day after the test he was limping pretty bad so I asked him how it went. He stayed on the treadmill for a little over 19 minutes before the Cardiologist ended the test. He said that his feet were bleeding. I did not know that he did not wear socks with his cowboy boots. They never figured out why he fainted. I still laugh when I think of LD.

chevy57 

2009-01-28 12:35 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana

Glad all went well for you.  They do this testing because sometimes they find problems- which most often can be treated effectively. 

I am in healthcare & also amazed at number of cardiologists (or their nurses) who seem to think EVERYONE is a couch potato, a resting HR<50 is alarming, etc, etc.  Also amazed that the now scientifically discredited "220-age" calc of max HR is still etched in medical stone.  Traditional standard for an "adequate" test is 80-85% of that max HR calc, which IMHO is silly low for most serious fitness buffs (UNLESS some significant problem is seen during test like BP or heart rhythm issue).  I'm 51, so my "adequate test" HR would be 136-143---WTF???  My LTHR (run or bike) is well higher than that, and my max HR is low 180's.  I have had a few treadmill tests & have learned to express my desire to reach a HR relevant to MY workouts (YMMV). 

BTW- There are many thousands of cardiac patients worldwide who continue to enjoy serious exercise (some even doing long tris) despite the small (but real) risks.  OTOH- there are known risks to NOT exercising.  Just have to be smart (& realistic) about exercise goals.  Check out forums at www.cardiacatheletes.org.uk for many inspiring stories.

As we all know, even the fittest young athlete assumes some risk engaging in very strenuous activities (e.g. Notre Dame distance star who died during last US Olympic marathon trials).  It goes with the territory. 

2009-01-28 1:17 PM
in reply to: #1933552

User image

Expert
chevy57 - 2009-01-28 12:11 PM

I shared an office in Dallas with a guy from East Texas who never exercised in his life. He was 6'3" and thin. This guy drank beer every night of the week and ate a very unhealthy diet of fried food and barbecue. I have never seen someone eat this much crap and be thin. He always wore a southwestern colored shirt with one of those western style string ties around the collar, Wrangler jeans that were always pressed and pointed toe cowboy boots. He was a pure Texan. He took my family out on Lake Ray Hubbard on his pontoon boat one summer evening (probably 90+ degrees) and he wore the same thing, no shorts no sneakers, no flip flops. Anyway one afternoon he fainted in a meeting so the EMTs took him to the hospital. They watched him overnight everything was good so he a came back to work. He told me he was scheduled for a stress test. Since I had never seen him wear anything but jeans and cowboy boots I asked him what he was going to wear on the treadmill. He did not know he was going to have to run on a treadmill. I explained this to him and he said he wasn't concerned and that he would wear his jeans and boots. The day after the test he was limping pretty bad so I asked him how it went. He stayed on the treadmill for a little over 19 minutes before the Cardiologist ended the test. He said that his feet were bleeding. I did not know that he did not wear socks with his cowboy boots. They never figured out why he fainted. I still laugh when I think of LD.

chevy57 

In a pretty serious thread...and of all the worthless information (sorry) that's sometimes posted on here...this has to be the post of the year in my opinion. I spit my drink all over my computer when I read your post...

2009-01-28 1:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
I guess my story is on the other end of the spectrum. About three years ago, my chest had a pain in it and I ended up in the emergency room not knowing what was going on. They hooked me up to all sorts of medical equipment, and decided that I was hunky-dory (more like chunky-dory considering I weighed about 315 or so pounds at the time.)

They had me do the stress test and echocardiogram, and my body felt like it was going to explode after 6 or 7 minutes. I was done. My heart was fine and they didn't ever figure out why I had that tightness and pain....

I asked the nurse who administered the test how long guys my age (mid-30s) usually last on the treadmill. She told me 70-year-old guys usually go about as long as I did.

Now that I've dropped 110 pounds since then, have done 7 sprint triathlons and am training for Olympic distance, I'd LOVE to retake the test. Granted, I'm nowhere near where you guys - or the cowboy boots dude - are, but I'm certainly not in the 70-year-old category anymore, either. (Not saying there can't be fit old dudes, of course!)

I guess you can say I took what the doctor told me to heart that day when he said, "You've got to make losing weight and getting into shape THE most important thing in your life ... or else."

Edited by mrwrite 2009-01-28 1:50 PM
2009-01-28 3:05 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

After I had my leaky aortic valve replaced my resting HR dropped from 70bpm to 44bpm in less than a year, mostly because the heart didn't have to work as hard anymore to compensate for the leak.

I have to get EKG's and echocardiograms on a regular basis, but so far so good.  No problems in eight years since my surgery.

Fortunately, my doc is a triathlete so he "gets it" when it comes to athlete's health issues.

Mark

2009-01-28 3:16 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

I had the "opportunity" to get a stress test a couple of years ago as well.  I had been rushed to the ER with chest pains and other heart attack symptoms.  Unlike the previous poster though, I was maybe 6-8% body fat and in pretty good tri-shape.  I was 38 at the time.

The cardiology team did listen to my story about being a triathlete.  And every test I did, (angiogram, echocardiogram, MRI, chest xray, as well as radiologic stress test), showed evidence of an athete's heart.  During the stress test, we quickly moved up levels.  They said only a couple of doctors testing out the equipment got to the level that I ended up at.  My HR at that time was 148, about my LT level for running, which I told them.  They said that was good enough and didnt go any further.

Oh, and the monitors for low HR.  Lord, that was annoying.  My resting HR would often go into the high 30s.  And no, their equipment did not like that at all.  They finally turned off the damn beeper, blessedly. 

They never did figure out what happened.  I had elevated cadiac enzymes like I had a heart attack.  My symptoms all fit a HA.  But they could not find any visual evidence of one.

Anyway, back to the stress test.  Another guy in my tri group had to get one maybe a week later.  He apparently went to a level above mine.  So we had all kinds of teasing going on about training for our stress tests, sandbagging them, etc.  It was really funny.  It was good to put a fun side onto something as scary as two rather fit guys around 35 to 40 years old needing stress tests.

2009-01-29 9:40 AM

Extreme Veteran

Mrwrite,

Congratulations on your weight loss and subsequent lifestyle change. 

chevy57 

2009-01-29 2:59 PM
in reply to: #1935358

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
chevy57 - 2009-01-29 8:40 AM

Mrwrite,

Congratulations on your weight loss and subsequent lifestyle change. 

chevy57 

Thanks chevy! It really is awesome how much my body has changed physically. I'm still 40-50 pounds from where I want to be, but I've come so far it's just mind-boggling sometimes.

I just keep reminding myself about triathlons, training and exercise: "This is not just something cool I once did - this is what I do and who I am now!"

Edited by mrwrite 2009-01-29 2:59 PM

2009-01-29 3:18 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Last year I started having irregular heart beats and PVC's. After numerous trips to the doctor they placed me on an event monitor. I explained to the doctor that I was scheduled to run a half marathon while on the monitor and he had no problem, told me to wear it during the race (total pain in the a$$). My doc is an avid cyclist so, as many have said, he gets it. I was told to record any events and then phone them in. I finished the race with no PVC's but was having them after the race. I phoned in the results and the nurse who took the info freaked because I'd have a PVC then my heart rate would drop into the 40's (my normal resting heart rate).  I had to explain that I had just done a race and this was normal for me. She was ready to send me to the hospital in an ambulance.

2009-01-29 9:07 PM
in reply to: #1934121

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
Ridgelake - 2009-01-28 4:16 PM

I had the "opportunity" to get a stress test a couple of years ago as well.  I had been rushed to the ER with chest pains and other heart attack symptoms.  Unlike the previous poster though, I was maybe 6-8% body fat and in pretty good tri-shape.  I was 38 at the time.

The cardiology team did listen to my story about being a triathlete.  And every test I did, (angiogram, echocardiogram, MRI, chest xray, as well as radiologic stress test), showed evidence of an athete's heart.  During the stress test, we quickly moved up levels.  They said only a couple of doctors testing out the equipment got to the level that I ended up at.  My HR at that time was 148, about my LT level for running, which I told them.  They said that was good enough and didnt go any further.

Oh, and the monitors for low HR.  Lord, that was annoying.  My resting HR would often go into the high 30s.  And no, their equipment did not like that at all.  They finally turned off the damn beeper, blessedly. 

They never did figure out what happened.  I had elevated cadiac enzymes like I had a heart attack.  My symptoms all fit a HA.  But they could not find any visual evidence of one.

Anyway, back to the stress test.  Another guy in my tri group had to get one maybe a week later.  He apparently went to a level above mine.  So we had all kinds of teasing going on about training for our stress tests, sandbagging them, etc.  It was really funny.  It was good to put a fun side onto something as scary as two rather fit guys around 35 to 40 years old needing stress tests.

That particular enzyme that alarmed them very well could have been CPK, or Creatinine Phoso-Kinase .... and it indicates some kind of major muscle trauma.

the basic tests measure Total CPK, and if high or elevated they can test for 3 sub-levels of this CPK enzyme  -- CPK-1 (CPK-BB), CPK-2 (CPK-MB), and CPK-3 (CPK-MM) ... and 3 specific tests they can do to look at each of these enzymes ... because depending on which of the 3 is elevated indicates what or where the possible problem is coming from.

CPK-1 is found mostly in the Brain and Lungs, high CPK-1 can indicate Brain Injury, Seizure, Pulmonary Infarctions ...  not likely what is seen in athletes.

CPK-2 is found mostly in the Heart muscle, high CPK-2 can indicate a recent heart attack and is actually the standard quick test that EMT's and ER personnel administer to detect heart attack ... cause this CPK-2 enzyme is elevated 3-6 hours after a heart attack, peaks at 12-24 hours, returns to normal in 12-48 hours.   ... this is usually what a doctor will test for first if they suspect your are having heart troubles ...

CPK-3 is found in Skeletal Muscle ... and is probably most likely the cause for your elevated Total CPK, as was the case with me.

Causes for high CPK-3 are crush injuries, muscular dystrophy, recent seizures, a few other things, and in all the literature I've been able to research on the matter ... the following cause is always listed last (once you've been scared to death reading about all the possible horrible things that could be wrong with you...) ... and the final cause is:  Strenuous Exercise.

These docs re-tested me 3 times before they were convinced that my elevated CPK was from triathlon training.

I was actually tested 4 times, 3 by the research team of a clinical trial I was participating in, and 1 from my regular doctor.  1st time showed high CPK (Total CPK), they were alarmed and tested me a few days later, still high ... I told them it was most likely the training so they told me to not do anything for a week ... and re-tested .... (I cheated though ... I did do some training ...) but the 3rd test was way lower ... still high or out of normal range ... but way down ... so they were convinced ...

... in between those I was actually concerned myself and had my regular doc test specifically for CPK-2 ... to make sure I hadn't suffered some kind of heart attack ... and CPK-2 was perfectly normal ... this was in between 2 of the CPK tests from this research team ... but they were just looking at Total CPK and didn't realize it.

I tried to educate them on CPK-1, 2, and 3 that I learned from Googling ... but hey, they were the resident docs at this clinic ... right?

2009-01-29 9:53 PM

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills, IL
I also have had an issue with my heart. I am a paramedic and we routinely do 12 leads on ourselves for practice. This is hooking us up to the leads and looking at the monitor. Well everytime we do it I have an elevated ST segment. This is a part of the rhythym that comes after the big spike. Usually an elevated ST is sign of a heart attack. It usually gets me alot of odd looks if someone hasn't seen it before. I was told by a doc that it is probably from running so much.
2009-01-29 10:47 PM
in reply to: #1936839

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

moabrunner - 2009-01-29 10:53 PM I also have had an issue with my heart. I am a paramedic and we routinely do 12 leads on ourselves for practice. This is hooking us up to the leads and looking at the monitor. Well everytime we do it I have an elevated ST segment. This is a part of the rhythym that comes after the big spike. Usually an elevated ST is sign of a heart attack. It usually gets me alot of odd looks if someone hasn't seen it before. I was told by a doc that it is probably from running so much.

Very Interesting!

I kinda suspected this but was unable to find enough information to support my hypothesis ... but this same clinical trial I was in, they did an ECG at the beginning and when the trial was over and on my last one it displayed an error about SINUS BRADYCARDIUM .... which they were able to figure out meant low heart rate .... it was 55 bpm during the test ... but it also showed an elevated ST segment ... actually it was worded as: Lateral ST Elevation - SUGGESTS EARLY REPLOARIZATION.

Every Google search I could find on elevate ST segments and Early Repolarization sounded pretty negative and indicated I could possibly have some serious issues ... but I kinda suspected it went along with the low RHR and from run fitness.

2009-01-30 10:31 AM
in reply to: #1936873

User image

Expert
Lake in the Hills, IL
klowman - 2009-01-29 10:47 PM

moabrunner - 2009-01-29 10:53 PM I also have had an issue with my heart. I am a paramedic and we routinely do 12 leads on ourselves for practice. This is hooking us up to the leads and looking at the monitor. Well everytime we do it I have an elevated ST segment. This is a part of the rhythym that comes after the big spike. Usually an elevated ST is sign of a heart attack. It usually gets me alot of odd looks if someone hasn't seen it before. I was told by a doc that it is probably from running so much.

Very Interesting!

I kinda suspected this but was unable to find enough information to support my hypothesis ... but this same clinical trial I was in, they did an ECG at the beginning and when the trial was over and on my last one it displayed an error about SINUS BRADYCARDIUM .... which they were able to figure out meant low heart rate .... it was 55 bpm during the test ... but it also showed an elevated ST segment ... actually it was worded as: Lateral ST Elevation - SUGGESTS EARLY REPLOARIZATION.

Every Google search I could find on elevate ST segments and Early Repolarization sounded pretty negative and indicated I could possibly have some serious issues ... but I kinda suspected it went along with the low RHR and from run fitness.

This was only from one doctor but what he said was that since my heart was in such good shape it was gearing up for the next beat early (repolarization). So on the strip it shows up as an elevated ST segment. I am thinking of looking into this a little more though because it was only one guys opinion. Interesting to hear that you have the same thing though.

2009-01-30 2:17 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Klowman,

Some REALLY interesting stuff you mention there.

The enzyme that the docs flagged when I went in was actually Troponin.  When I was first admitted, it was very low, 0.08.  But about 12 hours after the event, it was measured at 1.19, or above the 0.78 threshold that indicates a heart attack.  It drfted down over the next 48 hours or so to normal levels. 

Not sure if Troponin is related to CPK-2.

As an aside, if you are bored, here's a link to my "hospital report" (like a race report) on my 2 day hospital stay with this heart issue.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=35379&year=2007&month=11&day=13#

Edited by Ridgelake 2009-01-30 2:18 PM
2009-01-30 5:24 PM
in reply to: #1933457

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

gadzinm - 2009-01-28 11:31 AM I was having some shortness of breath three years ago when I was getting back into this sport. (Turned out to be pollen and allergies) My doc right away sent me to a cardiologist and from there I was sent for an ECG and a nuclear stress test on the tread mill. My family history had a little to do with his decision. Long story short I ran the test into the ground and they had no more isotopes to inject in me and the treadmill went to its max height and speed for the test. HR never went above 180s... Very interesting to watch your blood pressure drop as your HR increases. I never knew they work in opposites. Needless to say I am fine. It's a pretty good test to have done if your insurance and doctors will let you go through with it. I recommend it if anyone in your family has a history of heart disease and/or heart defects. Last thing I needed was dropping dead from some hidden heart condition when all I was trying to do was have fun!

I am confused about the isotopes? Did you have a Nuclear Stress Test? Blood pressure will usually rise with exercise, it's interesting that yours went down.

It's good to hear you are in good shape.

I tried to get my cardiologist to order a nuclear stress test on me when I was having chest pain after a pulmonary embolism that I had but he said a nuclear test wasn't justified and ordered a stress echo. FWIW - A stress echo isn't a very good test for an endurance athlete. My HR dropped so fast that they couldn't get any stress information from the test, I basically had a regular echocardiogram and a bonus run on the treadmill.

2009-01-30 6:11 PM
in reply to: #1937934

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
Ridgelake - 2009-01-30 3:17 PM

Klowman,

Some REALLY interesting stuff you mention there.

The enzyme that the docs flagged when I went in was actually Troponin.  When I was first admitted, it was very low, 0.08.  But about 12 hours after the event, it was measured at 1.19, or above the 0.78 threshold that indicates a heart attack.  It drfted down over the next 48 hours or so to normal levels. 

Not sure if Troponin is related to CPK-2.

As an aside, if you are bored, here's a link to my "hospital report" (like a race report) on my 2 day hospital stay with this heart issue.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=35379&year=2007&month=11&day=13#

I checked out Troponin, but just on Wiki-pedia so far, but it looks like it is very similar to CPK-2 or CPK-MB ...they are both caondiered cardiac markers or enzymes that can be tested and high levels indicate heart attack ... or strenuous exercise.

Here are 2 links, the first one in the mext to last paragraph under the heading of Non-cardiac conditions, it states:

"Strenuous endurance exercise such as marathons or triathlons can lead to increased troponin levels in up to one third of subjects, but it is not linked to adverse health effects in these competitors."

The 2nd link is about CPK-MB and states:

"The CPK-MB test is a cardiac marker.[1]  It measures the CKM and CKB forms of phosphocreatine kinase.  In some locations, the test has been superseded by the troponin test."

Here are the 2 links and an image of the cardiac markers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troponin_test

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPK-MB_test

(AMI_bloodtests_sm.png)

Attachments
----------------
AMI_bloodtests_sm.png (60KB - 24 downloads)
2009-01-30 6:35 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I had a similar experience years ago.  I had to do a lung function test for a summer job.  I was supposed to blow into a tube as hard as I could and keep blowing.  I kept blowing the gaskets out of the machine.  They decided I passed.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill Stress Test With Cardiologist Rss Feed  

of 2